active or passive PUP's with the Archon 100?

Hah! I knew there were 4 promises!

I dunno, I'm a pretty wishy-washy guy on whether it should be an AC30 type of thing or a DG50, I will admit.

Speaking of being a distortion nerd, there are some real tube amps whose distortion I love, and some I don't. And some tubes break up nicely, others have a very harsh edge to them. For me, this is especially the case with 6L6 tubes. I find it hard to find a good sounding big-bottle 6L6 that isn't NOS.

Anyway, it's not just about modeling vs tubes. I'd much rather use a good sounding modeler than a real tube amp with tubes that don't make the amp sound its best.

I am going to be a musical prophet.

The farther we get from the visceral, real aspects of our instruments, the more inauthentic and tame the music becomes.

Heed my words, O ye of little perspicacity! Verily, I say unto you:

Do not stray too far from the things that got you to play electric guitar in the first place; you will grow weary of that which feeds your soul, and you will be forced to wander in the wilderness of musical nothingness for all eternity!

And eternity is a long time.

You will not say on your death bed, "I wish I'd spent more time playing guitar through a modeling amp."

No.

You will not say on your death bed, "I wish I'd played more at bedroom volume."

Nope.

You will not say on your death bed, "I spent too much time in bands when I could have been tweaking parameters in a modeler."

You will not say, "I shoulda played crappy amps and guitars, and spent more time having sex."

OK, you might say that. I could be wrong on that one. ;)

Can I have an AMEN, brothers and sisters?

The farther we get from the visceral, real aspects of our instruments, the more inauthentic and tame the music becomes.

There's a certain somethin' somethin' one experiences when one combines;

1) a 100w tube amp,

2) a 4x12 cab, and

3) volume.

(Growing up, I thought my distortion pedal sounded pretty sweet, and then I was schooled by a friend's Dual Rectifier)

1) a 100w tube amp,

2) a 4x12 cab, and

3) volume.

(Growing up, I thought my distortion pedal sounded pretty sweet, and then I was schooled by a friend's Dual Rectifier)

I love you, man.

Lestoban seems to speak much more Old Testament than his more liberal and atheistic brother Les. :)

Sergio is on to something. However, the amps can't so "no." So we need both tubes and sex.

Lestoban seems to speak much more Old Testament than his more liberal and atheistic brother Les. :)

Joshua's (mythical) armies did not blow down the walls of Jericho with modeled trumpets. ;)

...incidentally, you'd be surprised at how many years Les was roped into going to Sunday School, where he had to learn all that Old Testament Lord of Hosts* stuff...:eek:

*In archaic King James English, "Hosts" = Heavenly Armies. Of course, every army in history invoked its gods...

Get some passives. You'll likely have to replace all the pots and wiring too if I remember EMG right.
I am going to be a musical prophet.

Heed my words, O ye of little perspicacity! Verily, I say unto you:

Do not stray too far from the things that got you to play electric guitar in the first place; you will grow weary of that which feeds your soul, and you will be forced to wander in the wilderness of musical nothingness for all eternity!

And eternity is a long time.

You will not say on your death bed, "I wish I'd spent more time playing guitar through a modeling amp."

No.

You will not say on your death bed, "I wish I'd played more at bedroom volume."

Nope.

You will not say on your death bed, "I spent too much time in bands when I could have been tweaking parameters in a modeler."

You will not say, "I shoulda played crappy amps and guitars, and spent more time having sex."

OK, you might say that. I could be wrong on that one. ;)

Can I have an AMEN, brothers and sisters?
I feel it brother! I like the Kemper and Axe well enough. I understand the flexibility, consistency and portability thing. I just want to play, hear and feel the real thing. I don't play with in ears live. I don't want to sound like an album live. I wanna hear acoustic drums, amps, etc. I'm sure we could make tighter live performances and hear everything better going other routes but I want to feel the live band...for better or for worse. AMEN.

I feel it brother! I like the Kemper and Axe well enough. I understand the flexibility, consistency and portability thing. I just want to play, hear and feel the real thing. I don't play with in ears live. I don't want to sound like an album live. I wanna hear acoustic drums, amps, etc. I'm sure we could make tighter live performances and hear everything better going other routes but I want to feel the live band...for better or for worse. AMEN.

I love you, man.

Absolutely you get my vote !!!!

You, too.

1) a 100w tube amp,

2) a 4x12 cab, and

3) volume.

Was that distortion pedal a Metal Zone by any chance??? (dems are jokes!)

Back