Accessory Idea (Truss Rod Cover)

Gary M

So there I was, admiring my Custom 22 and remarking that, while nearly perfect in every possible way, there was something missing: A screech owl.

Then it occurred to me that a rosewood truss rod cover with an inlaid screech owl (on a branch, of course) would sell like hotcakes if it were to appear in the Accessory Store.

There are some available on eBay, etc. (some crappy some notsobad) but I've yet to come across one with the trademarked owl.

Whadaya say, Paul? Are you listening?

You're welcome. I'll take two... :)

Cheers!

Gary

Hmmmmm.... I hadn't considered that. I was actually eyeballing some quilt maple backplates on eBay (quilt 10 top on my '22) and had an idea that I'd have them dyed & finished to match the top (like, as you mention, some PS models).

It'd cause all kinds of problems, though, if the wood plates are thicker than the plastic.

Bummer (but glad you saved me the $100++ lesson - thanks).

Gary

Hmmmmm.... I hadn't considered that. I was actually eyeballing some quilt maple backplates on eBay (quilt 10 top on my '22) and had an idea that I'd have them dyed & finished to match the top (like, as you mention, some PS models).

It'd cause all kinds of problems, though, if the wood plates are thicker than the plastic.

Bummer (but glad you saved me the $100++ lesson - thanks).

Gary

I should clarify. There are some aftermarket figured woods backplates made to the thickness of the PRS plastic ones. But when PRS makes them for PS, they are thicker.

there is a guy on facebook that has made me several sets of back plates. His work looks like it came from the private stock team! Check him out. His facebook page is bobs custom plates.

excuse the bad photos.

gS1z5FP.jpg

5lZ7ZID.jpg

Sor6BHx.jpg

2v1mmpH.jpg

YbItwIG.jpg

oZt3VNL.jpg

d965LSa.jpg

kYKavEq.jpg

there is a guy on facebook that has made me several sets of back plates. His work looks like it came from the private stock team! Check him out. His facebook page is bobs custom plates.

Wow: He does nice work! Thanks for the link. Here's the Custom22 that started my thought process. I think matching back plates in that gorgeous quilt would be spiffy.

(I still want that truss rod cover I babbled about though) ;)

45497285054_8b3aea7e62_o.jpg

Cheers!

Gary

Last edited:
Wow: He does nice work! Thanks for the link. Here's the Custom22 that started my thought process. I think matching back plates in that gorgeous quilt would be spiffy.

Cheers!

Gary
Love Blue Matteo on quilt!

Cheers!

Gary

Bob will make matching plates and trc.

Every time I bought fancy, super-nice TRCs, I put them on the guitar and thought, “Looked better before.” Invariably I took them off, stuck ‘em in a drawer, and lost track of what I did with them. I had some really nice ones from Ron Thorn a long time ago, too. No idea where they are now.

The PS guitars I have came with semi-fancy ones. They match whatever the motif of the guitar is, and look fine, so maybe I simply get used to how the guitars come from the factory, and any change is a wooden version of cognitive dissonance. o_O

Back