Accessory Idea (Truss Rod Cover)

Every time I bought fancy, super-nice TRCs, I put them on the guitar and thought, “Looked better before.” Invariably I took them off, stuck ‘em in a drawer, and lost track of what I did with them. I had some really nice ones from Ron Thorn a long time ago, too. No idea where they are now.

The PS guitars I have came with semi-fancy ones. They match whatever the motif of the guitar is, and look fine, so maybe I simply get used to how the guitars come from the factory, and any change is a wooden version of cognitive dissonance. o_O

I feel this way about the headstock. I don't really care for the headstock having the same finish as the body, I like a contrasting look.

It sounds goofy but I like the back plates trc and even the heel to match. Part of it might be because the prs headstock shape is my favorite and having the flame maple on it kind of blurs the outline. Crazy flame or quilt top with rosewood headstock is to die for.

I feel this way about the headstock. I don't really care for the headstock having the same finish as the body, I like a contrasting look.

It sounds goofy but I like the back plates trc and even the heel to match. Part of it might be because the prs headstock shape is my favorite and having the flame maple on it kind of blurs the outline. Crazy flame or quilt top with rosewood headstock is to die for.

Yeah, I get it. Hey, there’s nothing wrong with having preferences, no two folks have the exact same tastes.

In terms of design, I figure the more complicated the fretboard and headstock inlays are, the less other stuff oughta be piled on the guitar. PRSes already start out pretty loaded up if they have the birds, or other inlays, and a figured top.

Then if you slap on a fancy TRC with more stuff on it, add backplates that instead of disappearing into the background call attention to themselves, stick on some wooden pickup rings, etc., things start to depart from a unified design and wind up kind of looking like the lobby of the Vienna Opera House.

Which isn’t a bad thing, if you’re into 19th Century Neo-Renaissance, it’s just not me.

Nah, what I’m saying is I like the idea of aftermarket TRCs, but in practice I like the TRCs that come on my guitars.
...which are fancy. I’ve seen them...they aren’t ordinary. ;) I know what you mean, just nit picking.

...which are fancy. I’ve seen them...they aren’t ordinary. ;) I know what you mean, just nit picking.

Actually, I figured I should take a look and see what’s there. On 2 of the PS’ the TRCs are 100% plain, unadorned wood that matches the headstock veneer. The 30th Anni PS has shell purfling around the edge to match the fretboard purfling. I wasn’t sure and just checked.

So only one’s fancy-schmancy.

My Core 594s have whatever 594s come with stock (I think the 594 stock TRCs say something like, “Steal this guy’s 594”, but it’s hard to remember something I never looked at for more than a millisecond).

The PS acoustic doesn’t have a truss rod cover, ‘cause there isn’t a truss rod. It has a carbon fiber strength rod that isn’t adjustable.

“I’ll bet you notice the TRCs when you change the strings, Les.”

“I sell them when they need new strings. I’m not into changing strings.”

“What if you ding one?”

“It’s gone.”

“Needs a setup?”

“Outta here.”

“Needs polishing?”

“History.”

“Nickel tarnishes?”

“Good-bye.”

“What happens if you drop a pick?”

“The dog eats it.”

“You don’t have a dog.”

“Well, sure, not now. He ate too many picks. Started pooping celluloid and went to the Great Pick Jar in the sky.”

“What about your cases?”

“I really buy them to get the cases.”

“If all you want are the cases, why not just buy cases instead of buying the guitars and the cases?”

“These cases came with free guitars inside.”

Last edited:
I went over the top on my build, to match the neck and fretboard :)

759_B003_B-4217-447_B-_B091-57_D7_ACE918_CA.jpg

7079_C919-59_FD-457_C-8_D8_B-_A13_C5_AA157_FE.jpg

Matched the mahogany on the back though
E9_C381_CE-_FA4_B-47_E0-_AD87-8_CC395_C89847.jpg

Back