A note about Paul

EEGMan

First off , let me say that I’m not a monster player or a close personal friend of Paul’s. I’m a couch player whose day job is as a cognitive neuroscientist who teaches at a College near the factory and I own a PRS. I have invited Paul and his band several times to play at my College and also conduct a master class, and he and his band are all remarkable musicians and are very skilled at conveying their love of music to an audience. But that is not why I’m writing this. I want to relate an experience that shows the kind of person Paul is and impacts their their products.

We recently sponsored the First Annual Eastern Shore Guitar Festival here (http://www.washcoll.edu/departments/music/eastern-shore-guitar-festival/) and although the focus was on acoustics, I asked Paul if he’d like to do a clinic on a Saturday morning to about 100 young players (mostly classical) and he graciously agreed. As always, Paul delivered the goods and had the audience in the palm of his hand, but again that’s not the point of my post.

Paul asked the audience if anyone had ever built a guitar and a young lady of about 16 answered yes. At the end of his clinic, Paul approached her and they began to talk guitar construction. In a few minutes, it was obvious that she was serious about playing and being a luthier and she knew her stuff. Paul invited her to visit the factory, have a tour and spend the day alongside his best luthiers, learning first hand from the masters .

Can you imagine the effect this had on this young kid? Her smile was so wide I was afraid her mouth would break.
Paul's obvious delight that a young person would want to build a guitar and his immediate desire to help this kid speaks volumes about him as a person. My point is that this is a company that has never lost its enthusiasm for its mission and that attitude comes directly from the top.

Maybe Paul looks at the future of prs building. Unfortunately we all get old and have to retire at some point . If you can recruit and mentor early, then that's a huge investment that might just pay off down the road . I think Paul is a very approachable person and shows passion for what ever he does. I respect and love that about a person. Not many ceo's are that down to earth.

Their are so many that could learn from Paul and I am not talking about in the music industry. Paul Reed Smith is a class act all the way! Thank you for sharing Giddy Up Paul!

Very cool story.

Reminds me of an event at Experience - Paul was asking questions and giving away stuff if you got the answers. Some kid in the audience raised his hand and took a shot at almost every question until he got one. When Paul handed him the prize, he said something like, "I love how you kept trying until you got one right. Don't every let anyone talk you out of doing that - if you can be that tenacious when you grow up, there's no stopping you from achieving whatever you want to do."

I've spent some time with Paul as well and he's truly a good egg. He's so enthusiastic about all he does, and genuinely enjoys sharing it among those who are interested.

Awesome story there! Thanks for sharing.

Maybe Paul looks at the future of prs building. Unfortunately we all get old and have to retire at some point . If you can recruit and mentor early, then that's a huge investment that might just pay off down the road . I think Paul is a very approachable person and shows passion for what ever he does. I respect and love that about a person. Not many ceo's are that down to earth.

I think it's a little different for Paul and PRS. PRS is a big enough company to where he doesn't "necessarily" have to be around to build amazing guitars. It's not quite like a one-man show where he might have to think about a real "talented" builder to take over when he's gone. Things are streamlined to point to where each worker has their task and they do it expertly.

But as far as keeping the company vision going, it all depends on who's next in line. It could be his son, or it could be another managing partner. What I just hope whoever is next after Paul still keeps up with the vision of improving guitars. I have no doubt that the guitars they turn out will still be spectacular, but it's going to be tough to replace the enthusiasm that PRSh has.

Great story OP.
From watching Paul do demos and talks I just get the feeling that he's (and his staff) all about quality and integrity, and that shows in the guitars he builds and those he puts his name on.

Awesome story. I have never met Paul, but I have been graced by others like him. Yeah, some could call it hero warship, but I think differently. Some people are just blessed by God with a little extra, I do know what, "angel dust" maybe. When I was fifteen I had the opportunity to meet Gen. Al Grey, Commandant of Marines and he had the goods. Later on I would go on to have my own Marine Corps experiences. After the Corps, I worked for a young attorney, businessman, political consultant and developer in Louisville, Kentucky by the name of Ted Jackson. After I graduated college, I went on to work at Microsoft and you can't throw a stick without running into one of these touched by an angel folk in the Redmond HQ. Its being in places like the Marine Corps or Microsoft where you see more people who just have that something extra, a fire in the hearth if you will. I had the opportunity to work directly with Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer and they were not just touched by an angel, but bathed in that beautiful bold gold shine of angel grease. This is how I see Paul being and my experience with their type is that they are all gracious, humble men that will bend over and jump through fire laden hoops to help a person. The point being is that these people with this something extra are amazing and seconds spent in their shadows inspires the next generation.

I know I look upon my Paul's Guitar that I purchased in 2013 almost daily and am amazed by not just the beauty but the pure tone generated by this little piece of "Art" created by Paul. In my guitar you can see the spark of divine talent given through God's eternal grace. Soak up every second you get to spend with people like Paul and you will be a better man because you did.

Very cool. Paul's a good guy, his enthusiasm and excitement for guitar and continual improvement are what makes him and his company special.

Couldn't agree more...I may have shared this before, but...I was climbing in and out of utility manholes down in Georgetown, DC, a few years back ( quite a mucky mess) with some contractors, and noticed a couple walking down the street, with the guy looking a bit familiar...not too sure, as they walked by, I said "Paul?"...not only did he stop and talk a bit, but asked me for my info and sent me an awesome packet of goodies...signed brochure, DVD, etc...just above and beyond , IMHO ...and you can tell he just loves the art of making, and IMPROVING guitars!!

Back