A little love for the McSoapy (and its pickups in particular)

Going Modal

I should be practicing right now.
Inspired by another "bring back the McSoapy" thread AND my newly-acquired 2008 all-mahogany (or could it be korina?) McCarty Soapbar, I thought I'd just get this out there on the record.

I truly thought I'd be replacing the pickups on this guy--especially because it's got the all-gold package (including pickup mounting & pole-piece screws)--but after the typical slight setup/adjustments upon the guitar's arrival, I really think the guitar is fabulous overall, and I cannot point out anything that I'd be looking to "fix" by switching the pickups.

Side details:
In case anybody's wondering, my best research has found that the McSoapy neck pickup (at least, from this era) is essentially the stock Seymour Duncan Vintage neck model around ~8k. Now here's where it gets tricky, but by most accounts it seems that the bridge pickup on the guitar is a Seymour Duncan Custom neck model around ~12k--but possibly also with one of its two ceramic magnets switched out for AlNiCo V??? That last detail is relatively-educated speculation, so... beware on fact vs. lore; if anybody could contribute towards the validity of this, perhaps this would be a good time to do so.​

In the end, I realized that I could just (carefully!) replace those offending gold pickup screws & polepieces with nickel ones from StewMac, along with a bunch of other non-gold parts from a combination of John Mann and the PRS Accessory store. After all is said & done, I'll get you guys some photographic evidence and I'll show off the "before vs. after" because even I, too, would like to see the side-by-side once I'm done.

TLDR: The PRS soapbars get a lot of crap for being junky pickups. I expected to dislike them and be spending $$$ on Lollars but, on the contrary, I find they (sonically) fit the guitar perfectly. Who's with me?

Inspired by another "bring back the McSoapy" thread AND my newly-acquired 2008 all-mahogany (or could it be korina?) McCarty Soapbar, I thought I'd just get this out there on the record.

I truly thought I'd be replacing the pickups on this guy--especially because it's got the all-gold package (including pickup mounting & pole-piece screws)--but after the typical slight setup/adjustments upon the guitar's arrival, I really think the guitar is fabulous overall, and I cannot point out anything that I'd be looking to "fix" by switching the pickups.

Side details:
In case anybody's wondering, my best research has found that the McSoapy neck pickup (at least, from this era) is essentially the stock Seymour Duncan Vintage neck model around ~8k. Now here's where it gets tricky, but by most accounts it seems that the bridge pickup on the guitar is a Seymour Duncan Custom neck model around ~12k--but possibly also with one of its two ceramic magnets switched out for AlNiCo V??? That last detail is relatively-educated speculation, so... beware on fact vs. lore; if anybody could contribute towards the validity of this, perhaps this would be a good time to do so.​

In the end, I realized that I could just (carefully!) replace those offending gold pickup screws & polepieces with nickel ones from StewMac, along with a bunch of other non-gold parts from a combination of John Mann and the PRS Accessory store. After all is said & done, I'll get you guys some photographic evidence and I'll show off the "before vs. after" because even I, too, would like to see the side-by-side once I'm done.

TLDR: The PRS soapbars get a lot of crap for being junky pickups. I expected to dislike them and be spending $$$ on Lollars but, on the contrary, I find they (sonically) fit the guitar perfectly. Who's with me?
I can’t speculate on the original McCarty Soapbars, but I can say that I like the soapbars in the McCarty 594 Singlecut Limited better than any I have ever played. All my prior P90 guitars came and went without much fanfare, but this guitar is different, and it sounds magnificent. I finally found a Soapbar guitar that sounds like I remembered old P90s sounding. I’m very, very pleased with them.

RIZ83Gm.jpg

Last edited:
I can’t speculate on the original McCarty Soapbars, but I can say that I like the soapbars in the McCarty 594 Singlecut Limited better than any I have ever played. All my prior P90 guitars came and went without much fanfare, but this guitar is different, and it sounds magnificent. I finally found a Soapbar guitar that sounds like I remembered old P90s sounding. I’m very, very pleased with them.

RIZ83Gm.jpg

Same here. I think the pickups in the 594 Soapies are seriously great. I liked the ones in my singlecut SE soapbar a lot (well still do, really) which was a major factor in upgrading to the 594.

Side details:

I'm very happy with the stock P90s in my Korina McCarty. I also am happy with the stock P90s in m SE Soapbar II Maple. Maybe I'm just easy??

Back