A little bit of buzz

DHW

So I changed my strings on my se 245 for the first time the other day. When I got it I took it straight to my setup guy and he strung it up with d'addario 10-46's when he set it up and replaced the nut. It played beautifully and only needed a slight tweak to the truss rod when the humidity changed this spring. I restrung it with elixir nanoweb 10-46 and have a bit of buzz on the low e-string now on almost every fret that wasn't there before. I checked the relief with a gauge to be sure and it's still right where it was. This was my first time stringing a wrap around bridge. Is there some trick other than just pulling the strings through tight? I have tonepro locking studs on it and the bridge remained locked in place. Intonation and tuning stability are fine so I don't think it is coming from anywhere else. Could it be the coated strings? Kinda at a loss. Buzz drives me nuts even though it is slight and definitely can not be heard through the amp. I hate to rip a new set of strings off unless I am sure that is the problem.

If everything else, including the string gauge is the same and you only changed brands, all I can think of is either the Elixers vibrate more easily(more amplitude) or they are slacker at the same pitch resulting in the same thing.

Have you tried lessening the stings and turning the screw on the low E side out a quarter turn? (Don't do this with tension on he strings.)

Edit...
It also may be that the Elixers are more ferrous than the D'Addarios, making them more susceptible to the magnetic pull of the pups and bringing them closer to the fretboard.... It that is the case, you might try lowering the lowE ends of he pups a bit.

Last edited:
Well, it could be the coated strings...can you swap out just the low E string with a "normal" string to see if your problem goes away? (btw, that is one reason I keep the old set of strings around after I swap new ones on, and I generally don't trim the string all the way back to the tuning peg so that I can swap it back in the event Something Went Wrong.)

If everything else, including the string gauge is the same and you only changed brands, all I can think of is either the Elixers vibrate more easily(more amplitude) or they are slacker at the same pitch resulting in the same thing.

Have you tried lessening the stings and turning the screw on the low E side out a quarter turn? (Don't do this with tension on he strings.)

Edit...
It also may be that the Elixers are more ferrous than the D'Addarios, making them more susceptible to the magnetic pull of the pups and bringing them closer to the fretboard.... It that is the case, you might try lowering the lowE ends of he pups a bit.

Which screw are you referring to? The tonepro stud or the intonation set screw? I don't have any d'addarios on hand but I think I have a set of DR in the drawer in those gauges so i could try those. I am not in love with the elixirs by any means. I wanted to try them out again and fine the reduced friction to be nice for sliding but losing the tactile feel of the string while doing it makes them harder, at least early on.

I'm talking about the bridge height adjustment screw..

I may have to try that though I likely will just change strings. I like my action where it is and don't like the strings enough to change it lol

Try very small adjustments. You may solve the buzz and still have a good action.

But don't rush or get lazy. always slack the strings first! Put a drop of nail polish on one side of the screw and photograph it. Then you can get back to zero if you want to go back.

Last edited:
Back