A Couple Gigbag Questions

I recently got a PRS CE 24 guitar that came with the PRS gigbag. My initial impression of the bag was one of disappointment. It doesn't feel very protective, but maybe I'm not giving it a fair chance. My guitar mostly sits on a stand in my house since I play it almost every day for 45 min. to an hour. But I want to be able to transport it in the back of my car to lessons or to a friends house once a week or so. I may sometimes have an amp and pedalboard with me as well as the guitar to transport. So here are my questions:

1) In other people's experiences, does the PRS gigbag give good protection for the type of transport I'm expecting? It's not going to be in a truck with lots of other gear, but its also not always just going to be the lone item in my car.

2) This is my first guitar with a tremolo. Should I always remove the tremolo arm before transporting it in the case or is it ok to leave the arm on?

Thanks for your opinions.

- Mark
Yes and yes. I have years of wear on 3 PRS gig bags (2 SE, 1 S2) and am very pleased. Admittedly, the S2 version is an improvement, but I’ve never felt like it wasn’t up to the job. Every dive bar in my area has contributed to the smell of my oldest bag and it still works great.

They are ok but nothing like a Mono bag which is what I use.

Mono bags tire me out. I almost got one from kissing someone who had a Mono bag.

As one other poster said (not Alnus - he’s already been name-checked), PRSh uses a gig bag. However, unlike one other other poster (so as not to confuse him with Alnus or Les), so let the fact that PRSh throws guitars around in gig bags sway you. I’ve seen him throw around guitars without any protection.

Mono bags tire me out. I almost got one from kissing someone who had a Mono bag.

As one other poster said (not Alnus - he’s already been name-checked), PRSh uses a gig bag. However, unlike one other other poster (so as not to confuse him with Alnus or Les), so let the fact that PRSh throws guitars around in gig bags sway you. I’ve seen him throw around guitars without any protection.

Now you Alan, you make me blush:p

No doubt the stink contributes to your considerable charm when you carry it...

giphy.gif

I use a gig bag for taking my electric PRSi to a gig/practice, unless it is a hollowbody - they go in hardcases.

I use gig bags for acoustic instruments too - guitars, mandos, banjos.

Using the gig bag allows me to throw in on my back while lugging the amp & pedalboard.

But I'm not loading into the back of a trailer with amp heads & cabs ready to fall over, or trusting unknown roadies or airline staff to handle it.

Yeah, their bags are great...I remember most of the Experience musical guests using the SE bags (bags made for their Imports, but guests keeping their Core/Personal guitars), running around everywhere,
and their S2 bags are just as nice, if not, a little nicer.

I actually recommend not leaving guitars out on stands all the time, because eventually, dust will get into your electronics and cause all sorts of scratchy noise when you plug 'em in.

The only downside I’ve noticed, is that the straps on the new(er-ish) brown SE bags aren’t as strong as the old ones.

I have two of them that are splitting at the seams, which is a shame because I kinda like the color.

LuoQ3I8.jpg

The SS bag is the bomb! I even bought another w/o the guitar. I take everything out in them. Private stocks, Me's, no fear for any but I am still very careful in handling them. Two guitars ride comfortably in the front seat w no other gear near. No trem arms though till I get there. :) I like to wedge a folded up polishing cloth between the the bottom of the bag and the butt pin. Just in case it gets set down hard for some extra padding between the floor.

I actually recommend not leaving guitars out on stands all the time, because eventually, dust will get into your electronics and cause all sorts of scratchy noise when you plug 'em in.

I understand your reasoning, but I'm still very much in a learning phase and I try to practice lessons almost everyday. So just being able to walk by the guitar, grab it, turn on the amp, and play it really helps me to do it everyday.

I understand your reasoning, but I'm still very much in a learning phase and I try to practice lessons almost everyday. So just being able to walk by the guitar, grab it, turn on the amp, and play it really helps me to do it everyday.
Leaving guitars out of their cases can lead to damaged finishes from light damage (doesn’t even need to be sunlight — Try reading the Fading Northern Lights thread)

I was raised to always wipe down my strings and case my guitar when done playing it. Apparently I was raised in the caveman days.

I have osteoarthritis in my hands, but it doesn’t dissuade me from taking a few seconds to open or close a case.

I don’t leave dental floss loose on the countertop in order to remind me to floss daily. :D

Back