A Couple Gigbag Questions

Mark VerMurlen

I recently got a PRS CE 24 guitar that came with the PRS gigbag. My initial impression of the bag was one of disappointment. It doesn't feel very protective, but maybe I'm not giving it a fair chance. My guitar mostly sits on a stand in my house since I play it almost every day for 45 min. to an hour. But I want to be able to transport it in the back of my car to lessons or to a friends house once a week or so. I may sometimes have an amp and pedalboard with me as well as the guitar to transport. So here are my questions:

1) In other people's experiences, does the PRS gigbag give good protection for the type of transport I'm expecting? It's not going to be in a truck with lots of other gear, but its also not always just going to be the lone item in my car.

2) This is my first guitar with a tremolo. Should I always remove the tremolo arm before transporting it in the case or is it ok to leave the arm on?

Thanks for your opinions.

- Mark

My PRS gig bags are thicker and tougher than anything else out there. Have you had a gig bag before or is this a new experience for you? If it's a first bag, you should be confident that it will hold up. Don't set the amp on it when the guitar is in it, but you don't have to baby it either...

Last edited:
I don’t personally use the PRS gig bags (my Cores came with hard cases), but I have friends who use them with zero problems. As one other poster mentioned, Paul Smith carries his Private Stock in a PRS gig bag.

I wouldn’t worry about using one at all, if my guitars had come with it.

I don’t personally use the PRS gig bags (my Cores came with hard cases), but I have friends who use them with zero problems. As one other poster mentioned, Paul Smith carries his Private Stock in a PRS gig bag.

I wouldn’t worry about using one at all, if my guitars had come with it.

That’s me! “one other poster” I’ve made it now I’ve been name-dropped by Les :p

When in the car, I prefer to set the guitar wedged behind the front and passenger's seats, on the floor, if possible. The amp sits either in the back seat or in the cargo space.

+1 about others have said regards removing the trem bar.

If the gig bag has the overlapping velcro fold that secures the headstock and neck, use that. If necessary, it might be wise to also remove the guitar strap and place that in the zippered pocket. (Sometimes a thick strap can make it difficult to zipper-shut the gig bag.)

Somewhere around 2000 I went to the 2nd pre Experience PRS event. In those days it was related to the now defunct PRS forum (pre official PRS forum). Anyway, at the event they took a group photo. Paul walked out with a PRS gig bag and proceeded to literally throw his personal ME1 to one of the guys. After that I ordered three of them and have used them for almost 20 years now. I don’t know if they’re like the ones they sell today. But they’re great. And I leave trems in. No problems.

All my core cases reside permanently under the bed. While the silver sky gig bag is my favorite (no SS), they’re all great. I only use hard cases on hollow bodies. I always take the trem arm out to cut down on bag wear.

Gig bag is fine unless its in the back of a truck with heavy amps, etc. Definitely take the trem arm off for transport. You'll be good.

Back