A Beat Up PRS … Anyone Have One?

Agree!

To Me, Relic'd Guitars Are Like Lip Synching...All Show.
Yep...total poser tool. Why dont you ever see that in other industries, just guitars and jeans? (which is JUST as dumb lol) Imagine.....a new M Class Mercedes for 100K with 'custom' hand sanded grey primer exposed on the fenders, cracked mirrors and windshield, with dents and scratches all over the faded paint.

Man, guitarists are a gullible bunch. lol

Last edited:
Yep...total poser tool. Why dont you ever see that in other industries, just guitars and jeans? (which is JUST as dumb lol) Imagine.....a new M Class Mercedes for 100K with 'custom' hand sanded grey primer exposed on the fenders, cracked mirrors and windshield, with dents and scratches all over the faded paint.

I dislike relic guitars as much as the next guy. However, there is another industry where it is desired. The classic and hot rod car group likes resto mods and rat rods. They will sand the rough spots off of rusty body parts and clear coat them to retain the patina of them without them getting worse. I have seen it with old motorcycles too.

There's a whole industry for distressed beyond guitars. It's a thing for a lot of people for probably everything imaginable. If it's not for you that's cool, plenty of more flavors. I still appreciate it for what it is. Sort of a stretch, but it wasn't that long ago ebony with streaks was trash, now I prefer it by a long shot. Perfect isn't necessarily better.

Admitedly, I'm not heavy into the whole relic thing either, but do have a guitar with lots of honest wear and lots more that's not so much. Plays fantastic and it's nice to not care if it gets bumped or bruised. It's the first guitar I let anyone play including our 6 year old daughter. The rolled edges is one of the reasons I found PRS, and for that I'd buy it 10x over.

I Don't Mind Worn Guitars From My Own Honest Play Wear. I Have Some. I Am Not A Fan Of All The Pretentiousness.
I agree, honest play wear is the way. I'm not sure relic is always pretentious. For me, it's freedom. I'd never let half the people touch my guitars that I allow to play my relic. It's also nice to be able to leave a guitar in the stand our daughter can play anytime without asking until the day she gets her own.. And then there's the scotch nights, relic to the rescue! :)

Last edited:

And furniture...

And Rat Rods...

Oh, and PRS HAS done a few relics...

Yep...total poser tool. Why dont you ever see that in other industries, just guitars and jeans?
If it isn't guitars it's something else. Reminds me of that 'Friends' episode where one of the characters buys a fake antique coffee table from Pottery Barn and says it's from "yore" when the other character does a rant about fake antiques before spotting it.

I'd say that's annoying, but...um...er...I just noticed that fake antique treatment on a bunch of Pottery Barn stuff here, like coffee tables, lamps and vases, so I am freakin' GUILTY!

There are also fake antiqued leather goods - clothing, shoes, briefcases, backpacks, luggage, etc., but I have none of that. Wait, there's a kind of antique coloring on a leather chair I just spotted...uh oh.

For some reason, I don't like fake relic guitars or cars, but I can't explain why I think that's any different. I mean, conceptually it seems pretty much the same.

If it isn't guitars it's something else. Reminds me of that 'Friends' episode where one of the characters buys a fake antique coffee table from Pottery Barn and says it's from "yore" when the other character does a rant about fake antiques before spotting it.
Ha! Speaking of Friends.. poser is more like when Joey pretends he owns the Porsche and gets all the gear. All this other stuff, you actually own, and it's not up to me to say why or assume how you represent.

But never a run, right? I know they haven't done production models.

I do remember the year they built a replica of Paul's old Les Paul just to prove they could do the relic thing - and that it fooled Paul for a second and he almost threw the real LP.
Pretty sure they did a Goldtop and a White one (for Todd). But you're correct, they never did a run of them...

I have a Murphy Goldtop '56 LP reissue. It's the first Goldtop he ever did (I have a letter from him stating that).

I also have a Cunetto Nocaster and a 3 Strats. Ronnie (Major Delt) played my Nocaster and he said it was the closest thing to a real vintage Tele that he's ever played (and he's don a buch of session work in Nashville)...

Granted, they are also Custom shop guitars, but they are also really, really good guitars!

My 97 ce22 is a little beat up. Mostly dings and scratches plus holes from midi pickup.

I have two 97 CEs with mounting holes from midi pickups that were installed at some point.

Back