85/15 pickups (in an old 22)

Tajtrivedi

First off, let me just say this. I put a set of 59/09’s in a 2002 CE-22. Had BK abraxas in there and didnt care for them but holy smokes! I love the 59/09’s in that guitar. They are hot but not too hot, clear and articulate. They split well, although I dont often split my CE. I love em!

I just bought a 2000 CU22 stoptail and I’m considering putting 85/15’s in it. I dont care for the dragon 2’s and honestly I prefer the sound and look of uncovered humbuckers.

My questions are as follows:

Is the 85/15 high output enough to handle splits well?

It appears to have been designed with 24 fret models in mind. Does it sound good in a 22 freter?

What is a fair market price for a set?

Thanks in advance!!

They've been standard equipment on the Custom 22 since 2017 and they sound great! Using the PRS resistor wiring, the tapped sounds are about the best I've heard.

Probably $300-ish. They show up on Reverb and eBay from time to time.

I have to be the naysayer here. I personally think the 85/15s are too weak to even be an adequate humbucker, nevermind trying to be able to split them. Generally speaking, any humbucker you may want to split should be double the resistance of what would be a typical single coil. That's why medium output (11 to 12k) buckers split really well.

I put a set in my McCarty. Bridge didn't do much for me but that neck pickup is incredible.

I had them build to spec my 2017 P Stock CU 22 you'll see in photo. Love them. Many pro's, you tubers have said the best pickup PRS made.

Will the American made PRS 85/15s work in a SE customer 24 without issue? Was considering putting them in my SE Custom 24 but the American 85/15 pickups are hard to find and usually pretty pricey. I’m pretty new to electric guitars, so any advice would be very welcomed!!

My guess is they’d work fine but impossible to find. PRS not selling those or 58/15’s
so if they were to appear on Reverb they’d be expensive and gone in a flash. If PRS look at \m/ or 58/08 or 59/09.
Good luck.

My guess is they’d work fine but impossible to find. PRS not selling those or 58/15’s
so if they were to appear on Reverb they’d be expensive and gone in a flash. If PRS look at \m/ or 58/08 or 59/09.
Good luck.

Ok, thanks for the input! Actually have a line on some now, hoping to get them for less than $200.

One more question, do you think it’s worth my time or even feasible to buy the drop in Custom 22/24 electronics and put them in my SE? Think the legit PRS electronics would show improvement over my SE electronics? Guess I would buy the drop in set from PRS and set it up like my current SE wiring, only issue would be the drop electronics they sell don’t have the push pull knob, but seem to have a 5 way switch instead.

Guess my general question, are electronic components something worth upgrading or should I just leave the Stock SE electronics in the guitar?

I’m not qualified to answer so won’t attempt.
I’d send that question to the entire forum and you’ll get some great advice.

I need a treble 58/15.
If you hear of one let me know.

Good luck, have fun.

Back