594 McRosie?

role_65

I am looking at the possibility of owning a 594 McRosie, but do not have the opportunity to play before I buy. I have had a McRosie, and other RW neck guitars in the past. I really enjoyed them. My specific concern is the mid hump and chime between the Hog and RW. Anyone played/heard both?

We have standard mahogany, korina, flame maple, and rosewood MC594 in stock right now. I did a side by side and there is not a big mid hump but the rosewood lost a but of sparkle/chime. It also gained a bit of mids/low mids. The result was that the rosewood sounded really great clean and with a moderate amount of gain. The mahogany was balanced and had nice low/mid/high. Worked well clean and with gain. The korina gave it a little more bite and a tad more midrange but it is very smooth. Finally the maple gave it a substantial bite in the highs and the bass was a little less and tighter.

Overall from 1-5:

Rosewood: Bass (3), Mid (3), Treble (2)
Mahogany: Bass: (2), Mid (2), Treble (3)
Korina: Bass: (2), Mid (3), Treble (4)
Maple: Bass (1), Mid(2), Treble (5)

Just my opinion/ears. We have a ton in stock right now too at Righteous Guitars.

Ben,
Wow thanks! I really was supprised that there was more high end in the 594 vs DGT.
The 594's I played ( standard hogs) have a nice openness quality.
Does the Rosewood loose that? I'm trying hard to like it, but I'm afraid the regular ol Hog is the way to go to keep those qualities....

As an aside I should have taken my HBII as I feel that is probably the closest tone of any of the PRS I have, I thought the DGT brightness would be close, but it's way to strident in the top end to compare to the 594.
Also the way the 594 smooths out in the upper register, imo is a direct correlation the the scale length. It reminds me so much of the R8 I loved in that regard.

Ben,
Wow thanks! I really was supprised that there was more high end in the 594 vs DGT.
The 594's I played ( standard hogs) have a nice openness quality.
Does the Rosewood loose that? I'm trying hard to like it, but I'm afraid the regular ol Hog is the way to go to keep those qualities....

The rosewood does loose a little. Mahogany is killer, but Korina is the path for me! Like mahogany with a bit more bite - not harsh at all.

Back