594 GAS

IMG_2100__23792.1541698714small_zps4iqyy3ld.jpg

darn watermark!

That looks awesome good choice! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it once you get it in your hands.

yeah, that'll be about 2 weeks....which will drive me mad. Always does. Live on an island and this particular store chooses to use Fed Ex...which might be fine for other places, but where I live they are THE slowest and usually a week beyond anyone else. As long as it gets here safe right. Thanks

I know what you mean. I have 5 now. I didn’t mean it to get that way!

I

Neither did I. I got fed up looking for a nice Les Paul, and took a leap with PRS. That feeling of opening the case the first time, first PRS, that smell, oh my god. I was at work, and a few guys that don't even play guitar said it was the most gorgeous guitar they'd ever seen. Hey, small town, they haven't seen much either. I've sold a lot of people on PRS with that guitar. It was my 2011 CU24 Experience and I loved it. I was going through some health issues, and starting to lose my hands. Swelling, aches, stiffness etc, spine related. So I started buying my dream guitars as a kid so I could play them before I lost my hands all together. I'm still battling health issues, but I can still play. Not looking for pity it's just when you start losing the ability to do something you really enjoy like guitar, I was freaking out. How much time did I have left? 2011 was the 1st PRS, bought in early 2012. Then a strat/tele/LP/Taylor nobody here cares about :), then the 2018 DGT was my "last guitar" I told "her". It was true at the time, I figured my hands were getting too bad and I was playing less and less. But feel a bit better again and I'm still going...so now my 594 is my last guitar? I'm not a rich guy, so it takes a lot to save for these things, but one advantage of not being well, I don't spend money on anything else but my meds lol. If Mr. PRS comes out with another "revolutionary" guitar anytime soon I hope he's charitable or I'll be divorced!

I own several PRS guitars and love my 594 as much as any. Neck perfect, not chunky to me. Feels perfect.

On somewhat of a different topic, has anyone swapped the bridge pickup for something a bit hotter? Some distributors/stores sell them new with I think 59/09’s in the bridge.
Anyone made that switch?
Thanks

I own several PRS guitars and love my 594 as much as any. Neck perfect, not chunky to me. Feels perfect.

On somewhat of a different topic, has anyone swapped the bridge pickup for something a bit hotter? Some distributors/stores sell them new with I think 59/09’s in the bridge.
Anyone made that switch?
Thanks

I had one with a 59/09 in the bridge. I really liked it. Suited my playing better than the LT. I'd do it all over again, without hesitation.

1. Only you can decide how a neck feels in your hands. Can’t be answered.

2. The SCs have a little more girth in the lower mids.

3. The semi-hollow body creates a resonant peak at the point where the higher frequencies roll off. It’s a great sound, but it may or may not be your cup of tea. I like it.

Bottom line: As Yosemite Sam always said, “You pays your money, you takes your chances.” Or you could take a trip and play one. Or you could buy one with a 24 hour approval period and make up your mind first. Lots of dealers will do that.

Les - in point #3 above, are you saying that the upper register tones will be a little more rounded and warm on a semi-hollow, or am I misunderstanding your point? One of the things I like most about the bridge HB on my solid hog S2 Studio is that the highest frequencies are clear but never piercing. Are you saying a semi-hollow would replicate that upper register characteristic?

Les - in point #3 above, are you saying that the upper register tones will be a little more rounded and warm on a semi-hollow, or am I misunderstanding your point? One of the things I like most about the bridge HB on my solid hog S2 Studio is that the highest frequencies are clear but never piercing. Are you saying a semi-hollow would replicate that upper register characteristic?

A resonant peak is simply a spike in frequency response that immediately precedes high frequency roll-off, and it’s most often created by a filter of some kind. In the case of a hollow or semi-hollow guitar, the filter is physical. In the case of a synthesizer, it’s electronic. On a synth there’s a knob labeled “resonance” or “emphasis”.

In any case, what you’re hearing that tells your ear that it’s a hollow or semi-hollow guitar is the effect of that resonant peak. The peak can sometimes create a “vocal” sound.

You can have a resonant peak at a fairly low frequency, or a high one. The term simply describes a peak in the frequency response curve at the point where the frequency begins to roll off.

A bright guitar can have a resonant peak, or a dark guitar can have one.

A solid body guitar tends to have less of a resonant peak.

1. Is the neck too big for small hands?
2. I like the look of the SC but obviously the double cut has better reach up high but really like the SC too.
3. Have no idea on semi hollow body and it's differences but the shop I deal with has a few I could choose from.

I don't know if this is going to tell you anything you don't already know. But a while back I was curious aabout the SC vs DC so started this thread.

So I got this today. Only had about 20 mins with it dinner time. Neck is certainly chunkier than a DGT and pattern reg for sure. Too chunky? I'm not sure, it's hard to describe. Anyways, I need to play it more, but had to go back to work. Killing me here today.

Ditto alot of these comments fmp3. I love my 594 alot, however I am swapping the 58/15 LT bridge for a 59/09. Alot of players on the forum have done this for the extra kick/punch which is what I need, so I'm looking forward to it. With these new pickups, it might be my go to favorite. Mine is a double cut to save weight. It weighs close to 7 lbs which is perfect. My Les Paul is a SC of course and only 8.2 lbs which is no problem. My LP is a beast and screams rock and roll. Maybe the best tone of all. Love my LP but I love my Private Stock Custom 22, Custom 24, and now 594 also. Neck feel to me is no problem. All good. PRS arguably the best made guitar on the planet. Can't go wrong. Enjoy.

Holy smokes that guitar is gorgeous.

I've been gassing hard for a 594. I'm still waiting for a previously ordered guitar, so need to wait. I'm also not 100% sold on the neck profile. But if I saw your guitar in person I'd probably buy just because it's so beautiful!!

I wouldn’t let the neck profile steer you away from the 594. It’s steller and feels great.
Contoured really well. Awesome guitar.
I bet future options include 58/15’s but for now, all great.

As someone who has all the current Pattern neck types across the 5 core PRS guitars I have, the Pattern Vintage maybe the most 'chunky' numerically BUT it doesn't feel particularly chunky - not compared to some guitars. The asymmetric carve fits the hand as very few (if any) people have a perfectly symmetrical 'C' shape in between the thumb and fingers. If you look at the shape of the hand as if you were gripping a cup, you will see its not a symmetrical shape and its that shape that the Vintage carve is designed like.

The best way I can describe it is as if the guitar has been played for decades and worn away some of the wood so that it fits your natural grip shape. As such, it doesn't really feel bigger than the Pattern neck and combined with the rolled edges, it makes the neck feel broken in. It fits with the vision and spirit of the 594. It was designed to capture the spirit and sounds of the Vintage 'Les Paul' that very few and only those privileged enough could get their hands on. Its not 'just' the Pick-ups and the arrangement of the knobs and switches but also the neck feel too - as much as they could - which is why its the only PRS guitar range with the Pattern Vintage neck. It represents the bigger necks that has been played for years and worn to the more natural shape of the hand.

I do appreciate that people are different and that they may want something different which is fair enough. I think that PRS though have successfully built a guitar that matches their design brief, a guitar that captures the vintage sound and 'feel'. That doesn't mean that its a guitar that everyone must like and may want hotter sounding PU's for example (although I prefer lower output PU's and can always boost the sound to hit the amp harder which is easier to do than trying to lower the output) and prefer wizard thin shredding necks. That is their prerogative of course and nothing wrong with that.

Knowing the story behind the creation of the 594 and the design brief, I have to say that PRS absolutely nailed it...

well, it's a keeper. But I will have to adjust to the neck. I generally don't make a final opinion until it's been in my house for a week or so, and the wood settled down from change in humidity. My room is controlled. But I can certainly manage the neck. video of the "grand opening" here. Oh that smell!

Back