594 GAS

... I love my 594 alot, however I am swapping the 58/15 LT bridge for a 59/09. Alot of players on the forum have done this...

Quick side note... If anyone wants to trade a set of 59/09 pickups for your yucky 58/15LT (or 85/15) pickups, send me a private message and let's get that done! ;)

As someone who has all the current Pattern neck types across the 5 core PRS guitars I have, the Pattern Vintage maybe the most 'chunky' numerically BUT it doesn't feel particularly chunky - not compared to some guitars. The asymmetric carve fits the hand as very few (if any) people have a perfectly symmetrical 'C' shape in between the thumb and fingers. If you look at the shape of the hand as if you were gripping a cup, you will see its not a symmetrical shape and its that shape that the Vintage carve is designed like.

The best way I can describe it is as if the guitar has been played for decades and worn away some of the wood so that it fits your natural grip shape. As such, it doesn't really feel bigger than the Pattern neck and combined with the rolled edges, it makes the neck feel broken in. It fits with the vision and spirit of the 594. It was designed to capture the spirit and sounds of the Vintage 'Les Paul' that very few and only those privileged enough could get their hands on. Its not 'just' the Pick-ups and the arrangement of the knobs and switches but also the neck feel too - as much as they could - which is why its the only PRS guitar range with the Pattern Vintage neck. It represents the bigger necks that has been played for years and worn to the more natural shape of the hand.

I do appreciate that people are different and that they may want something different which is fair enough. I think that PRS though have successfully built a guitar that matches their design brief, a guitar that captures the vintage sound and 'feel'. That doesn't mean that its a guitar that everyone must like and may want hotter sounding PU's for example (although I prefer lower output PU's and can always boost the sound to hit the amp harder which is easier to do than trying to lower the output) and prefer wizard thin shredding necks. That is their prerogative of course and nothing wrong with that.

Knowing the story behind the creation of the 594 and the design brief, I have to say that PRS absolutely nailed it...

I agree. I wound up selling all of my guitars which had wide/fat, Pattern, 50's style necks because I didn't like that style of chunky neck carve. But I have now made an exception to the "no chunky necks" rule and I can't buy enough McCarty 594's.

I played it a lot last night, but my fav neck is still the DGT which is pretty much Pattern Reg as my CU24 is darn near identical. 594 with that neck would be ideal for me. I got no aches or pains playing it, but it's still a chunky neck and some area's my fingers are stretching or I'm rotating my hand to compensate. It's a not a "huge" deal :) and I adjusted to it very quickly. I tried to explain it to my father who's a les paul and PRS guy and I just said, you'll have to try it because it's not like anything I've tried before. It's not Les Paul chunky.

I had an opportunity to try out a DC McCarty 594. The quality, sound, weight, and look of the guitar is superb.

The one thing that surprised me was the neck. When I played it, the back of the neck seems to be a little bulky at the low point (bottom of the neck) . When I play it, the area below my thumb on my left hand started to hurt a little. I'm talking about the muscle pain when you don't play rth guitar for a while and then when you play for a half hour it hurts in that area below your thumb. I have no issues with my Les Paul, Strat or Carvin SH 575. In face I prefer the circumference of my Carvin and LP neck more.

I will have the guitar for over a week. As I play it more and get used to it, I will give a more detailed review.

The sound is similar to my LP just not as thick with a pleasant snappier mid range. Can't post a photo as I don't have a Url for me to attach the photo. I will work on that when I get to a computer instead of my phone.

This is my first impression, but I think I may be happier with a Core 24 which has a easier neck to play on.

UPDATE
As I start to play it more, the neck is not as much of an issue as I get use to it. When I switch to my Les Paul, if I back off the bass on my Fender Twin by 3, it sounds closer to the 594. But the 594 just as more even sound from the bass, mid to treble. The LP had a more recessed mids

Last edited:
I had an opportunity to try out a DC McCarty 594. The quality, sound, weight, and look of the guitar is superb.

The one thing that surprised me was the neck. When I played it, the back of the neck seems to be a little bulky at the low point (bottom of the neck) . When I play it, the area below my thumb on my left hand started to hurt a little. I'm talking about the muscle pain when you don't play rth guitar for a while and then when you play for a half hour it hurts in that area below your thumb. I have no issues with my Les Paul, Strat or Carvin SH 575. In face I prefer the circumference of my Carvin and LP neck more.

I will have the guitar for over a week. As I play it more and get used to it, I will give a more detailed review.

The sound is similar to my LP just not as thick with a pleasant snappier mid range. Can't post a photo as I don't have a Url for me to attach the photo. I will work on that when I get to a computer instead of my phone.

This is my first impression, but I think I may be happier with a Core 24 which has a easier neck to play on.

UPDATE
As I start to play it more, the neck is not as much of an issue as I get use to it. When I switch to my Les Paul, if I back off the bass on my Fender Twin by 3, it sounds closer to the 594. But the 594 just as more even sound from the bass, mid to treble. The LP had a more recessed mids

what LP? year model etc?

Hmm...might have to spend some time with a 594 and my DGT for a comparison. I didn’t have my DGT at 11Top’s last time, but that might have to be remedied. His latest with a 2-piece bridge was quite nice. It would be very interesting to have a 594 with DGT electronics, however.

I'm in BIG trouble. The more I play the 594 DC guitar the more I am falling in love with it. It's so comfortable to play with a strap and sitting down. It sounds fantastic, plays like a dream, it has some classic features while having modern features as well.

It lacks the extra kick in energy that my Les Paul has and instead offers a more balanced sound in the highs, mods, and lows. So it does not replace my LP but it offers a wonderful alternative. I'm so hooked.

The bad news is, I can t buy another guitar until I pay off some bills. In addition with having a Carvin semi hollow body that already gives me a more balanced sound over my Les Paul, it makes it a little harder to justify buying this beautiful PRS. :(

Last edited:
I'm in BIG trouble. The more I play the 594 DC guitar the more I am falling in love with it. It's so comfortable to play with a strap and sitting down. It sounds fantastic, plays like a dream, it has some classic features while having modern features as well.

It lacks the extra kick in energy that my Les Paul has and instead offers a more balanced sound in the highs, mods, and lows. So it does not replace my LP but it offers a wonderful alternative. I'm so hooked.

The bad news is, I can t buy another guitar until I pay off some bills. In addition with having a Carvin semi hollow body that already gives me a more balanced sound over my Les Paul, it makes it a little harder to justify buying this beautiful PRS. :(

My 594 won't be replacing my LP either, but it does feel and sound special enough to justify keeping it for sure. I grab my LP now, and even though my LP has the slim neck, for some reason I keep wanting to go back to the 594. MAybe still the honeymoon phase but I agree with what u said about tone.

well, it's a keeper. But I will have to adjust to the neck. I generally don't make a final opinion until it's been in my house for a week or so, and the wood settled down from change in humidity. My room is controlled. But I can certainly manage the neck. video of the "grand opening" here. Oh that smell!
Awesome!!!

well, it's a keeper. But I will have to adjust to the neck. I generally don't make a final opinion until it's been in my house for a week or so, and the wood settled down from change in humidity. My room is controlled. But I can certainly manage the neck. video of the "grand opening" here. Oh that smell!

Gorgeous guitar! Congrats

i have smallish hands and strangely, the bigger necks fit my hand better. I recently played again one of my first guitars with a very small neck and it felt very uncomfortable.

i have smallish hands and strangely, the bigger necks fit my hand better. I recently played again one of my first guitars with a very small neck and it felt very uncomfortable.
Yep I can relate. I have very small hands and used to like thin necks and now after many years I like em a lil chunky. Love the neck on my 408. I’m gassing hard on the 594. Can’t wait to find one to play!

My 594 won't be replacing my LP either, but it does feel and sound special enough to justify keeping it for sure. I grab my LP now, and even though my LP has the slim neck, for some reason I keep wanting to go back to the 594. MAybe still the honeymoon phase but I agree with what u said about tone.

My 594 will never replace my LP but it's a great compliment to it. I'm only allowed two electrics for both space and personal discipline reasons. The way I always put it is the 594 appeals to my brain and the LP appeals to my heart. While the 594 is technically perfect, my LP is artistically perfect. Both are flawless quality wise, just a difference in build philosophy.

Sound wise on the exact same settings the 594 is a little more refined and restrained. What the LP lacks there it makes up for in character, there just seems to be a little more substance to it. Pickups are really close with about 7.8k for the 594 and 8k for the LP. I can make either sound like the other just by fiddling with amp settings and tone/volume controls on the guitar.

They're both phenomenal guitars and I really can't say either is better, but it sure is fun to compare them :)

Yeah that's my issue with the 594, if I were to get one, it would be too close to my R7, and even though they're different, they're close enough that it would be redundant for me. I actually am more likely to order a regular McCarty, because i prefer the 25" scale, and the toggle position. I grew up on a strat style and I can't stand the toggle up top like on the LP. I love my LP quite a lot, but it's getting very heavy.

Pretty pleased they are keeping the regular McCarty around. Can't wait to hear more of the updated pups.

I can honestly say that the 594 did replace a Gibson Les Paul but not in the sense that I had a Gibson and sold that for a 594. After 15+ years of being without an Electric due to family commitments, I finally had the opportunity to get back into playing an Electric. As I was much more familiar with a Les Paul, it made sense to look at getting a Les Paul guitar and if you want a Les Paul, it makes sense to look at the originators of that model.

I looked at several Standards and the High Performance version (after the Robotuners had been removed), I couldn't find one that not only grabbed me sonically but also was flawless. There was quite a range of issues and tones too which also made me think that if I keep looking, I could eventually find 'the one' but even when I found one that I liked, I still felt a bit apprehensive to buy thinking that there could be a better one somewhere else. The Custom 're-issues' were and still are very expensive and I hoped I could find a Standard/HP Les Paul that sounded as good as they did without any flaws.

I know a 594 doesn't sound exactly like a Les Paul (at least not back then) but they did have more articulation, more refined sound but everyone I looked at was flawless to my eye and sounded incredibly consistent - small nuances as to be expected from an instrument made of natural materials but nothing as varied as the Les Pauls I had looked at. Each felt dynamic and alive, felt great to play and looked incredible with much greater flame and range of colours. Because of the consistency, I didn't feel like I had to keep looking to find one that was better in terms of tone, build quality, feel etc and the more I played it, the more I liked the sound.

My heart was saying Gibson but a lot of that was the heritage and artists that were known for playing Les Pauls. Even now, if I had the space to add a Les Paul, I would because of its place in history and its an iconic instrument. However, my head kept saying buy the PRS - there is nothing you didn't like and flawless like you expect from a guitar at that price. In the end I listened to my head and bought the PRS and haven't regretted my decision since. In fact it ended up making me buy more PRS guitars when I thought the only PRS I would buy would be the Custom 24 because that is the iconic PRS.

I love the 594 and have been GASsing for the Hollowbody version since its announcement - even though I own a Hollowbody ii that I love with the same 58/15 LT's as my Solid 594. Maybe the TCI process as well as Nitro finish will make it more different but money no object, I would own a Semi-hollow and Single Cut 594 as well because its such a great instrument - every version of it. I can't say the 594 is my number 1 guitar because all my guitars have aspects that I love and that only they offer so to sell one would leave a gap that I would miss but its an instrument that I am still GASsing for despite owning 1 version of it...

Ditto most conversations of LP vs 594.
My 59 reissue is a beast and screams classic rock. If I play Enter Sandman or similar, LP all day. It just has more beef and power that’s hard to explain.
However, love my DC 594 and play it all the time. I left the LT’s in neck and put a 58/15 in the bridge. MUCH happier with sound. Just enough extra kick to suit my playing.
Will be selling my 58/15 LT bridge if anyone interested. I will say the 85/15’s in my
Private Stock my favorite PRS pickups.
Perfect balance and punch.
PRS best guitars made.
Silver Sky next year. Saving my pennies.

Back