594 bridge pickup.....

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by WEDGE, Jun 24, 2016.

1. clasbtenn

clasbtenn New Member

Hi Wedge,
    Yeah, of all the pickups I have tried, I get the biggest audience reaction to the Wolf Tones, without even asking anyone how they sound.

Dusty Chalk likes this.
  2. gauchosilvertone

gauchosilvertone New Member

Lazarus post here, but I'm wandering because I got a 594 back in July.

The matching pickup thing is in line with the vintage idea the 594 is all about. Pickups were generally matched until the Advent of the aftermarket pickup industry. The matched sets mean the bridge pickup has to be much closer to the strings to more or less match the volume of the neck. They yield wildly different sounds because pickup placement has more to do with the sound than pickup design itself (all other things being equal). Plus in my view, the bigger gap between the strings and neck pickup necessary to match volumes between pickups yields part of the sweet, airy sound we associate with vintage neck PAFs.

In other news, I now have a DiMarzio Norton in the bridge and Air Norton in the neck. My idea was to unlock more punchy bridge tones without kicking the guitar entirely out of "PAF' range. I find now i would have rather just gone for it with a full on heavy hitting set than to be in the middle, which still sounds GOOD, but honestly is in a bit of a no man's land.

Dusty Chalk likes this.
  3. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk alberngruppenf├╝hrer

Yeah, I actually now have a couple guitars with the same pickup in the neck and bridge positions...they do end up sounding completely different because physics. That said, when I was given the opportunity to have one of my favourite neck pickups "over" wound for the bridge position, I pounced on the opportunity.