58/15 LT vs 58/15 MT Help

bobbyk

Hi. I and sure this has been discussed ad nauseam but can someone put it in simple terms for me?

The 58/15 MT is wired to be coil-tapped...yes?
The 58/15 LT is wired to be coil-split...yes?

Are MT's and LT's "tonally" the same in when in Humbuckers mode? Is one hotter than the other? Is one "clearer" than the other?

Thanks in advance.

As far as I understand it, one of the coils in the MT’s has extra turns on it which are only engaged when in split/single coil mode. In humbucking mode, the overwound coil is tapped, excluding the extra turns and leaving you with two equal coils. As a humbucker, the MT should in theory be the same as the regular 58/15, which is slightly higher output than the LT.

The MT has more turns on the tapped coil by design. Overall, MT has more gain than the LT with less high-end clarity.

FWIW - having guitars with both, I would most definitely take the MT’s over the LT’s, simply because the MT’s tapped tone is so much more authentic to single coils, and it’s a more dramatic difference than any small difference in clarity that may exist between the LT and MT in humbucker mode.

Don’t get me wrong, the LT’s are fantastic, and even their split tones are very good, for basic humbucker split tones. But, the MT’s are on another level for single coil sounds, and lack nothing as humbuckers!

Hi. I and sure this has been discussed ad nauseam but can someone put it in simple terms for me?

The 58/15 MT is wired to be coil-tapped...yes?
The 58/15 LT is wired to be coil-split...yes?

Are MT's and LT's "tonally" the same in when in Humbuckers mode? Is one hotter than the other? Is one "clearer" than the other?

Thanks in advance.

The 'LT' stands for Low Turn - meaning it has fewer winds than a regular 58/15
The 'MT' stamds for Multi-tap but is still a 58/15

Therefore, the LT is not as 'hot' and more of 'Vintage' (PAF) sounding Humbucker and the MT is a bit hotter and more of a 'Classic' Humbucker and they differ when split/tapped too - the LT''s do 'split' the HB so you get a 'true' Single Coil active where as the MT is Tapped so both coils remain active and noiseless.

FWIW - having guitars with both, I would most definitely take the MT’s over the LT’s, simply because the MT’s tapped tone is so much more authentic to single coils, and it’s a more dramatic difference than any small difference in clarity that may exist between the LT and MT in humbucker mode.

Don’t get me wrong, the LT’s are fantastic, and even their split tones are very good, for basic humbucker split tones. But, the MT’s are on another level for single coil sounds, and lack nothing as humbuckers!
Totally agree with this. Both are fantastic, but I preferred the MT

Back