58/15 LT "V" pickup question and general 85/15 question

xarkon

First question: Recently bought a pair of 58/15 pickups that I'm going to swap into a Cu24 that has 85/15s.

One of the pickups is simply labeled 5815 LT on the baseplate. I'm assuming this is the bridge pickup.

The other is labeled 5815 LT "V" Bass. So, the neck pickup; however, I've not seen or heard of the "V" designation before. Anyone know what this means? "Vintage" - or something else? EDIT: perhaps means a 58/15 neck pickup with an Alnico V magnet?

Second question: I saw a post in another thread (might have been in another forum) that suggested that the 58/15 and 85/15 pickups were identical except for the covers and the magnets. Anyone able to confirm or deny, and if this is true, which magnets are used in each?

TIA.

Dave

Last edited:
The 58/15 and 58/15LT are different pickups,.LT stands for low turn. These pickups recieve high praise. Good score.

It's been speculated the 85/15 and 58/15 are the same besides a cover. That has been debunked by a PRS (now former) employee on here. I personally think the other difference is the magents. Though, I don't have a set to confirm,.and I'm just some guy on the internet. Grain of salt

I just picked up set of these with the same V on the sticker for the bass pickup. Looking at previous listings it's pretty common for 2018/19 SC594. I did find a set from a Cu24 and several that just said 594 McCarty.

I also found a listing that says it is a Alnico 3 for a V labeled pickup, if that's true and who knows if it is, it shoots the theroy of designating an Alnico V magnet.

That's how mine looks for reference. No perceived difference from non-V ones (except TCI perhaps), resistance is the same.
WUb2CV1.jpg

Hmm. I have a pair that does not denote bass or treble individually. I thought 58/15 LT were the same in the neck and bridge? is this wrong?

Hmm. I have a pair that does not denote bass or treble individually. I thought 58/15 LT were the same in the neck and bridge? is this wrong?
There's a post a while back that says they aren't the same from an email from PRS but other than that its been thought they are the same. From what I can tell there are a few variations of the LT floating around. Besides that post I always understood they were the same too.

I'll see if I can find that post..

Edit- Post 6 and 7

Last edited:
That's how mine looks for reference. No perceived difference from non-V ones (except TCI perhaps), resistance is the same.
WUb2CV1.jpg
My neck looks exactly Iike yours. Bass, V, and a B in sharpie. I saw several sets just like this too.

Interesting. I have a 2017 set that doesn’t denote anything aside 58/15 LT. I actually put a piece of painters tape on one to denote it was the bridge since they look the exact same

Interesting. I have a 2017 set that doesn’t denote anything aside 58/15 LT. I actually put a piece of painters tape on one to denote it was the bridge since they look the exact same
I only found 2018 and 2019 versions with the V, bass, and sharpie. Nothing before and one listed 2020, but that could have been an early run or wrong year listed because all of the other 2020 LT have TCI.

I know there was talk of a 58/15LT + released for the SC594. I wonder if the V is the + for the pickup label because I haven't seen a 58/15LT+ label on a pickup yet.

Post 8 and 16 Shawn talks about the +.

This would make sense that the V is the + pickup label because the neck pickup of V is slightly hotter than the bridge from the ones I've seen 2018/2019.

Totally my real time logic typing out with only evidence and assumptions from what I've found piecing this together.

Last edited:
Back