50w 2ch H

Boogeyman

Do any of you own this head or have any of you tried it out? My local guitar center has a used one in great condition that I'm thinking of trading an early 80's JCM800 Combo for. I know they're going to rape me on the trade in, but I "really" want a PRS amp haha... The JCM is good for rock and roll but thats about it, your not going to get much "clean" tone out of it, even with a processor. So anyway, what are your thoughts on the 2ch H and what do you think its comparible to? They're asking $1000 for it to btw, which according to what they go for on ebay is about right. All input welcome :)

I have one as well. I am completely in love with the clean channel. I actually love the dirty sound I get on the "clean" side and I use the lead channel to just get that over the top high gain vibe when I need it.

For someone looking for the most reasonably priced mid level PRS amp, you can't go wrong with the H. Super versatile. Maybe not as refined as say an HXDA or MDT but for a third the cash, you can't go wrong!

Do eeeeeet..... Do Eeeeet NOW!!!

Well, I brought the 2ch H home today. I didnt do too bad on the trade in and now am the happy owner of a PRS amp :)

I have only played the 100 watt H. Clean channel was nutty good. Dirty channel was extremely musical.

...I have what may be a stupid question. How do run this head through a PA? I dont see a Line Out jack, only an "Ext" jack and a "Spkr Out" jack? Didnt get a manual with it, but it dont look like I can run through a PA??

After doing some reading in the amp section of the forum I found my answer...there is no line out on the 2ch h :(

A little embarassed by my previous rant... I woke up hung over and pissed at the world yesterday LOL... I was extremly disappointed that the amp doesnt have a line out, but after micing my cabinet through the PA, all is well and I cant tell a difference in sound quality. What i can say after band practice yesterday is this amp is bad ass! I finally found the clean tones I was looking for and with my pedal board, dialing in a good "tone filled" distortion was a breeze. After only 6 or 7 hours of playing, I can honestly say this is the best sounding amp I've ever owned. I made the other guitar player sound BAD yesterday with his Les Paul and Marshall DSL! ;)
I'm playing through 2 marshall silver jubilee 2x12 cabinets and dont think I'll look for anything else in a cabinet. The combination sounds great and I couldn't be happier!

Last edited:
No offense, but mic the cab. It's just gonna sound better. Line out doesn't give you any effect of the power tubes and unless you're using a cab simulator, you may as well not use any real amp at all if the PA is your main sound volume source. Not 100% on the PRS amp loops, but if you're not using the FX loop, some amps can use the loop send jack as a line out. Just my opinion.

No offense taken vchizzle, i'm here to learn. Playing through a mixer is new to me, so I had no idea that a line out functions the way you described. It seems like the same signal the head sends to the speaker cab would be the same signal from the line out to the PA, or at least thats how I was looking at it... We practice in a 20x30 metal building, so the PA is not our main sound volume source. In such a small room we end up using more amp than PA...but I still want to be able to be heard in the mix. I was worried that a mic would create more noise or not sound as good, but that wasn't the case. I am going to have to buy a decent mic now though.

...mic the cab. It's just gonna sound better. Line out doesn't give you any effect of the power tubes and unless you're using a cab simulator, you may as well not use any real amp at all if the PA is your main sound volume source.
+1
Your cab/speakers are an important ingredient in your tone soufflé, so don't cut them out of the mix. Slap an SM57 in front of the cab, plug into the PA and call it a day. Or, just crank that amp to its potential and forget about a PA. We do with pretty good results.

I am going to have to buy a decent mic now though.

I recommend that you contact Les (Lschefman). He is a studio pro, and has lots of experience miking amps. He can recommend the right mic, for the right task, based on what you are looking to accomplish....and I think he'll be able to give you recommendations in various price ranges.

Back