3 Way Blade issue/question on new SE Custom 24

DavidM

I bought this new guitar less than 2 months ago. I noticed soon after buying it, that the sound is quite different when the 3 way switch is in the last position toward the tail of the guitar. The other 2 positions get good strong sound, but they are not very different sounding from each other like in videos I had seen.

None-the-less, over this month and a half that I've had this guitar, the switch is increasingly wonky in the tail-most position to where sometimes it doesn't work at all in that position and will only pick up sound when I move it a little toward the middle, but it obviously won't stay there.

My question is, should I replace the switch itself and then the problem will be fixed, or is this an issue upstream in the wiring that may be a bit more complicated than I can handle? I feel like can install a new switch and solder those 3 wires back in place easy enough, but if I have to go to one of the pots or that tree on the one pot, I'm out of my league then.

Thanks in advance. I know I can take it back to Guitar Center since it's warranty, but GC is an hour drive from me and I'd just as soon save the time if I can merely solder 3 wires and then the get sound differences I was expecting based on all the videos I watched prior to buying this guitar.

Otherwise, I absolutely love this guitar.

Might want to open it up and look for a loose connection. Maybe nothing is broken but a solder joint.

Also a ground wire touching something it shouldn't be.

Last edited:
Should be under warranty since it’s a new guitar. Have the shop where you purchased from take a look at it.

Thanks y'all. I did check for loose connection and don't see anything out of place. I think I'll try the switch first, then take it to GC or someone more local if that doesn't work.

Back