2021 Tremonti SE nut

Aether

Last week I bought a “used” 2021 Tremonti SE from Dave’s Guitar. I bought various bits and bobs to upgrade, including a Graphtech TUsqXL nut. After popping off the stock nut - and it was the stocker, because I had to score the finish along the edge of the nut - it did not appear to be the hollowed-out plastic nuts that I’ve read about coming as stock on the SE. While the markings weren’t exactly like the Graphtech, the material seemed the same texture, weight and - when dropped - sounded exactly the same. I have to add that the trem tuning stability with the stock nut was fine, I was only swapping for a potential tone improvement had it been the cheap plastic nut. So does anyone know if this is a recent production change and whether, as it appears, this is a graphite/self lubricating nut now coming as standard?

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is a good comparison...it is a different PRS model I have experience with.

I swapped out the nut on my SE Paul's Guitar and the factory nut and PRS composite nut were slightly different in marking, and exactly the same in weight and drop test sound. It seems on some SE of late the nut is a composite from the factory, and appears to be of overseas manufacture.

I'm no expert though only relaying my experience.

Back