2020 McCarty Trem WL

i'd really love to see the trem option available on mccartys again. i've had a few over the past 22 years, and they are definitely my favorite model. i've tried a few dgts and just don't bond with them the same.

Seems Jack Gretz is still getting new ones in stock from his recent Wood Library run. I think the 2020s are the most wonderful non-PS McCartys ever, so now might be the time to grab one if possible.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I haven't played my other guitars very much since getting this one. I want to spend time with it and get to know what it can do.

Getting myself acclimated to a new guitar - getting what I want out of it, discovering its nuances as I play it - well worth the time invested! I've had years on my other guitars, so tI have to get up to speed on this one.

As for the trem, I'm less of a trem bar user than most who buy trem guitars (tried it only to make sure it stays in tune; yes it does). The reason I got the trem model is that I like what a trem bridge, trem cavity and springs do for the tone. String bends are nice with a trem, too. I like that it's not exactly the same tone as I had with my previous stoptail McCartys. I'm so happy I got this thing. The BRW fretboard lends a certain snap that I find is common to BRW fretboards, too.

There isn't one thing on this guitar I'd want to change, other than making the pull-up coil-split tone knob easier to grab. But that's something I find of all recent PRSes, except the new DGTs with the old school speed knobs. Then again, I like the look of the lampshade knobs. Kind of a tradeoff.

I can get almost Telecaster-like tones (no mush playing clean) on the low strings, there's that much articulation, yet it's a richer and fuller sound (at least, I think so). The string to string definition is off the charts.

I'm gonna say it: Paul Reed Smith, the human being, is a freakin' guitar whisperer, and his team make absolutely incredible guitars.

Don't know how they do it but: May they all live forever!

Can I get an Amen?

One thing I forgot to mention is that I haven't played my other guitars very much since getting this one. I want to spend time with it and get to know what it can do.

Getting myself acclimated to a new guitar - getting what I want out of it, discovering its nuances as I play it - well worth the time invested! I've had years on my other guitars, so tI have to get up to speed on this one.

As for the trem, I'm less of a trem bar user than most who buy trem guitars (tried it only to make sure it stays in tune; yes it does). The reason I got the trem model is that I like what a trem bridge, trem cavity and springs do for the tone. String bends are nice with a trem, too. I like that it's not exactly the same tone as I had with my previous stoptail McCartys. I'm so happy I got this thing. The BRW fretboard lends a certain snap that I find is common to BRW fretboards, too.

There isn't one thing on this guitar I'd want to change, other than making the pull-up coil-split tone knob easier to grab. But that's something I find of all recent PRSes, except the new DGTs with the old school speed knobs. Then again, I like the look of the lampshade knobs. Kind of a tradeoff.

I can get almost Telecaster-like tones (no mush playing clean) on the low strings, there's that much articulation, yet it's a richer and fuller sound (at least, I think so). The string to string definition is off the charts.

I'm gonna say it: Paul Reed Smith, the human being, is a freakin' guitar whisperer, and his team make absolutely incredible guitars.

Don't know how they do it but: May they all live forever!

Can I get an Amen?

testify! i didn’t know you liked telecasters.

testify! i didn’t know you liked telecasters.

Mostly, I'm not a big Tele guy, though I've had a few.

What I like about a Tele is how articulate the lower strings are. What I'm less a fan of is that there's a certain low mid richness that's missing. They do sound good in a track. The new McCarty HAS that lower mid articulation. It's beautiful sounding.

My son, on the other hand, is a Tele fan, and used one all over the recent 30 Seconds to Mars record, America. He likes the way they mix, but he's also a Fender endorser. So there's that.

I keep telling him he needs a PRS. I actually bought back the CU22 Soapbar I gave him.

Mostly, I'm not a big Tele guy, though I've had a few.

What I like about a Tele is how articulate the lower strings are. What I'm less a fan of is that there's a certain low mid richness that's missing. They do sound good in a track. The new McCarty HAS that lower mid articulation. It's beautiful sounding.

My son, on the other hand, is a Tele fan, and used one all over the recent 30 Seconds to Mars record, America. He likes the way they mix, but he's also a Fender endorser. So there's that.

I keep telling him he needs a PRS. I actually bought back the CU22 Soapbar I gave him.

sounds like he’s doing alright, maybe he’s saving humbuckers and filtertrons for his inevitable middle-aged solo period.

Congrats, that looks gorgeous and that finish is a perfect match for the mahogany back and figured neck.

Jack sure has some very nice Wood Library runs going. I'm very badly tempted by his upcoming store anniversary run with PS-grade quilt and curly maple tops and PS finishes (Tiger's eye and Bahamian blue).

Congrats, that looks gorgeous and that finish is a perfect match for the mahogany back and figured neck.

Jack sure has some very nice Wood Library runs going. I'm very badly tempted by his upcoming store anniversary run with PS-grade quilt and curly maple tops and PS finishes (Tiger's eye and Bahamian blue).

Uh-oh. Now I have to check that out. I had no idea he was doing that.

Wow, that is a stunning top! The quilt and color are stellar, the vertical grain is fantastic, and love the natural back. Congrats

Seems Jack Gretz is still getting new ones in stock from his recent Wood Library run. I think the 2020s are the most wonderful non-PS McCartys ever, so now might be the time to grab one if possible.

if i could get 1 sans neck binding i'm down!!

if i could get 1 sans neck binding i'm down!!

I love neck binding. Keeps the side of the neck feeling nice and smooth.

To each, his/her own. ;)

But I'm pretty sure I've had at least 25 PRSes without a binding, including one of my PS models, so don't get me wrong, I'm fine with not having binding.

Given the choice, however...yeah, I'll take the binding.

Uh-oh. Now I have to check that out. I had no idea he was doing that.
Got to say it's very dangerous taking a look.
He made it very easy to reserve one since you can reserve based on the top itself (all quilt tops are Bahamian blue, curly maple ones are tiger's eye).

Got to say it's very dangerous taking a look.
He made it very easy to reserve one since you can reserve based on the top itself (all quilt tops are Bahamian blue, curly maple ones are tiger's eye).

Hey, I'm off the hook!

It's a CU24 Fatback. I already have a CU24 I like very much that I got from Jack - one of the PRS 30th limited run PS models. So, pretty close.

But those certainly look like they'll be fantastic pieces!

Back