2018 Silver Sky popping buzzing

LegacyCore

Just snagged a second hand Silver Sky and it’s popping and crackling. Took it to my tech and he said it wasn’t the first one brought to him that did it. He did a copper faraday cage behind the pickguard to ground everything better. It helped for a little bit but it came back, I noticed if I touch the pole pieces of the pup that’s switched on, there is horrible crackling and humming.

I’ve plugged into all three of my amps and same issue. I plug in a $120 Squire mini and it’s silent as can be so I know without a doubt it’s the guitar. Obviously with it being two years old, and myself the second owner the warranty is out.

Ideas? I’ve read two other threads on this same issue but no response on fixes.

It’s static on the pickguard. Mine did it and I’ve had several Strats that have as well. Rub a dryer sheet (unscented) on the guard. It never came back after doing it once on mine but I had an EJ Strat that I had to do it three times on but then it was good.

It’s static on the pickguard. Mine did it and I’ve had several Strats that have as well. Rub a dryer sheet (unscented) on the guard. It never came back after doing it once on mine but I had an EJ Strat that I had to do it three times on but then it was good.
I’ve never heard of that, but then I live on the Gulf Coast where 60% humidity is a dry day. I’m really curious to see if this fixes the problem!

It's kinda weird... I tried it on an old '61 Gibson at a different house and dead ass silent... I'm going to take my amp over to a different house and plug in to see what happens, it very well could be the 110 year old house I'm living in. Though I do have a Furman line conditioner inline with my amps.

I don't have any unsented dryer sheets, I'm assuming using unsented it so you don't make your guitar smell pretty? lol

I don't have any unsented dryer sheets, I'm assuming using unsented it so you don't make your guitar smell pretty? lol

People weren't paying attention to compatibility issues. There were several known cases of people using sheets with scents like Sea Breeze and Ocean Fresh on guitars that were not Seafoam Green or Beach Fade. The results were disastrous.

People weren't paying attention to compatibility issues. There were several known cases of people using sheets with scents like Sea Breeze and Ocean Fresh on guitars that were not Seafoam Green or Beach Fade. The results were disastrous.

Hahaha

I had the same problem. One of the first 500 from '18. I tried the dryer sheet a few times, and it would work for a bit and then come back. It's going back to PRS for some shielding now.

I had the same problem. One of the first 500 from '18. I tried the dryer sheet a few times, and it would work for a bit and then come back. It's going back to PRS for some shielding now.

I had my guitar tech install a copper faraday cage under the pickguard, it helped some. But still have the issue overall, just not as bad.

Back