2007 Singlecut SE pickups

Sandyhill

Hi all, I'm totally new to the world of guitars and PRS. I recently purchased a 2007 Singlecut SE and I also ordered a set of SE 245 pickups from someone who swapped his from a 2017 Tremonti SE. I'm having a tough time finding the specs on my guitar and I'm hoping these will be an "upgrade" for the 10 yr old pickups. Does anyone have spec info? Also, I'm considering putting chrome covers over the pickups, is there a place to look for those? Thank you!

I think mine say g&b pickup company. They’re pretty mellow sounding to me, some people say they’re harsh.

The 2017 SE pickups will be an upgrade to the 2007's. PRS went through a complete rework of the SE pups in 2010. You should see a marked improvement. As for covers, you can buy standard covers for them. Just measure the spacing and order from places like Stewmac.

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_..._Kits_and_Parts/Humbucking_Pickup_Covers.html

I think they are 52mm (2 & 5/64") spread but you should measure to be sure.

The 2007 Singlecut SE is a great guitar. The upgrade I did for mine was a 3-way drop in and core PRS pups that split. There are lots of pickups on the used market that will work. Enjoy it.

Honestly, I preferred the older SE pups (HFS and vintage Bass) in my 2009 SE versus the 85/15's in my 2017 SE. I found the older SE pups so much warmer. I guess they were going for a more modern sound in the newer SE pups, but they sounded really harsh ("edgey") to me when overdriven.

I'd leave the stock pups in there, or go for something more specific (to your needs) from one of the big pickup makers.

Last edited:
Hmmmm... the pup change I was referring to was in 2010 not 2009 but you would not have had the HFS/VB SE versions in 2009 with that timing. Maybe the cross over date was a little into 2009 and your guitar was build in that timeframe. I was suggesting that the 1st gen SE pups were not as good and the version that brought us the HFS/VB so I include yours in that upgrade no matter the year. In his 2007 it would have had the older generation SE pups.

I agree with you though, I like the HFS/VB combo for the SE's. I haven't heard the newer 85/15's yet.

I like the SE245 pickups a lot. They're a medium output set, bridge is 12K and neck is 10K IIRC, or maybe 8, but a good match for the heat of the bridge whatever the case. Actually I wish PRS made other sets in that range.

I still like the old SE pickups. The bridge pickup was a bit nasal sounding but swapping in an Alnico 2 magnet made it much better. Never tried SE245s. The SE85/15s in my 277 baritone are doing just fine. I hven't swapped in anything else so I don't know how they compare to anything.

Oh, also, for covers, 52mm bridge, 50mm neck spacing.

Hi all, I'm totally new to the world of guitars and PRS. I recently purchased a 2007 Singlecut SE and I also ordered a set of SE 245 pickups from someone who swapped his from a 2017 Tremonti SE. I'm having a tough time finding the specs on my guitar and I'm hoping these will be an "upgrade" for the 10 yr old pickups. Does anyone have spec info? Also, I'm considering putting chrome covers over the pickups, is there a place to look for those? Thank you!

I found the pickups in my 2011 Singlecut SE to be similar to a HFS in the bridge, but maybe a bit brighter, a little less hot, but possibly not. (memory) The neck pickup was nice and had a bright attack, nice n trim in the bass. (personally like a bit less bottom end in a neck humbucker.)

YMMV, I wouldn't be surprised if they were different unit to unit or if they put X pickup in Y guitar the odd time, etc.

I found my Bernie's pickups muddy. So I rotated the bridge pickup and cranked the pole screws up like a strat stagger, tallest maybe 3mm up, then dopped the pickups. This creates a sort of 'offset' coil, gives more brightness. Sounds good.

Back