2 channel custom vs 2 channel H - help!

elvis

Hamfisted String Banger
They seem awfully similar. I was looking for another Archon as a backup, maybe a 50, but you insane junkies convinced me to not get duplicate amps.

I like 6L6 amps, and already have a Shiva for EL34. So these are two amps I'm considering. I'm a channel-switcher, so single-channel doesn't interest me.

The H has the Heyboer transformer. The Custom might have the Cinemag.

You might want to check; I'm told the Heyboer has more of a modern sound. But I haven't played an H. So...others will no doubt chime in here.

Thanks Les. It was my understanding that the H has the Heyboer to go with 6L6 and the C has Cinemag to go with EL34. I believe the Custom is 6L6, but I don't know whether it's just an H rebranded or a different design.

Thanks Les. It was my understanding that the H has the Heyboer to go with 6L6 and the C has Cinemag to go with EL34. I believe the Custom is 6L6, but I don't know whether it's just an H rebranded or a different design.

I don't actually know.

From my understanding the Custom is an H with some ( many ) added features , a boost , mid shift and so on

There are revisions of the H which, I believe, brought it along until it evolved into the Custom. So, a later H would probably sound more like a Custom, although I can't confirm that for fact. Never tried an H. Some say the Custom is more modern, I wouldn't call it more than a modern twist on a vintage tone, at least for most of its range of sounds. But you can easily hit the clean channel with a high gain pedal, or slam the lead with a Tubescreamer to tighten up the bottom, for a metal tone that will more than do for a "backup." Great amp!

From my understanding the Custom is an H with some ( many ) added features , a boost , mid shift and so on
That's what I thought but one of the PRS amp guys at Experience told me that the Custom is derived more from the 2 Channel C than the H. I figure he should know.

I have both the H combo and Custom 50 combo.
I love the H and have been playing it for quite a while and very happy with it. Great cleans and as said a "modern" style lead channel. The added features that the Custom brings is what drew me to buy it.
My most loved new features are the boost that can be applied to either the clean channel, lead channel, or both. Also the reverb can be assigned to the clean channel only, or both.
The first thing I did when I got the Custom was to dial it in just like the H, and that was easy... so very similar. I would say though that my Custom clean channel is a slight tad darker, and the reverb slightly less pronounced. Could just be a tube or biasing thing, not sure.
Either amp is a great choice IMHO.
With my P22 piezo in the PA, and the Custom 50 dealing with the mag pups it is the most versatile rig I've seen with no pedals. Simple and awesome.
Oh... and the Custom has Heyboer definitely.

Back