1998 PRS CE22... good deal?

Basauri

Diamonds x Guitars deal with Paul
I´ve found and interesting ad...
A 1998 PRS CE22 mahogany stoptail that was bought and never played. Is some kind of NOS.

His asking 1375€, 1450$ more or less...
What can you tell me about this model? Is worthy? Collectible? Good craftmanship era?

Thank you!

1796056.jpg

Last edited:
The big question is.how does it sound? I don`t look at guitars as an investment,,I look at them as a tool that should do the job. Better tools do a better job. I also don`t think that PRS has had a golden period. I haven`t ever played a bad PRS, but I haven`t played every PRS. I say go play it. If it speaks to your eye and your ear, buy it.

I have a CE22 mahogany. Great guitar. Will have a bolt on neck of course. It sounds like it's supposed to be 100% original if it was never played, but it has covered pickups. Originals should have been uncovered. So it is either a special run of some kind or it isn't all original. Might have Dragon 2's (covered) instead of the dragon 1's (uncovered). I don't remember when they started using dragon 2's but my 95 has dragon 1's. Ask to see the back of the pickups. There will be a sticker identifying what they are.

There were more trem equipped ones than stoptails, but I don't think it would be all that rare for this option in 98. It looks like a great guitar, but I don't think I'd be too interested at that price. Then again if I played it and it covered a hole in my tonal pallet I might. These used to go for $900 to $1100. Now it seems the prices are rising a little. I see more CE's higher than $1200 asking price lately. Who's to say what they sell at.

I would agree with the other responses.

I will dicker a bit with dogrocketp:

I also don`t think that PRS has had a golden period.

Au contraire, their golden period started with Paul's first hand made guitar and continues to this day. :D

The original CE22 isn't particularly collectible - the true "collector guitars" in the PRS lineup are those Dragon models, worth tens of thousands, and maybe some of the "low rate production" PS models like the Guitars of the Month. Everything else is just a guitar to play, for now. Ask in thirty or forty years, though!

The "new" CE model is clouding up the value on the used market of the original CEs. One could argue endlessly about which should be worth more. But we are not supposed to be discussing used items of currently available models...so this gets a bit awkward at times.

Based on what I know about European pricing, that price seems fair, maybe a titch high, and that certainly is higher than I would expect to pay in the US for the same guitar.

I think the CE22's went through various incarnations over time. My memory was that the majority of the pickups were covered dragons and the CE24 had the HFS and Vintage Bass. All early hogs had the stop piece and when they went to the maple cap, the tremolo was introduced as an option and on later hog bodies. Alder bodies also weaved their way into earlier and later versions.

To answer your questions in my view.

- Value - Awesome if you get the right guitar at the right price. Sadly, the difference between mint and a road warrior is about $100. I am seeing an uptick in the used market because of the new CE24 but is a bit different guitar. Great none the less.
- Collectability - Great guitars but if you want appreciation over time, get a spider index fund, you will make more money.
- Workmanship and Playability - Fantastic. Super stable, the larger heel solved some of the cracking on earlier guitars, some will argue about the alder sounding better. YMMV.
- Asking price is high and keep in mind the strategy at that point. They wanted to introduce a cheaper guitar buy everyone still wanted the maple tops so the mahogany guitars did not move as fast.

If you can get it for a good price and it checks out, get it. They are nice guitars.

I am seeing an uptick in the used market because of the new CE24 but is a bit different guitar. Great none the less.
- Collectability - Great guitars but if you want appreciation over time, get a spider index fund, you will make more money.

I didnt mean "collectable" as an investment but as owning a model that isn´t like that anymore, like you said. One piece neck, one piece body with "core" carved top...
I was thinking that this guitar is somewhere near 1.000€-1100$, but Spain is a tough market; few good guitars and high prices.

OK, if you mean "personally collectible because it is interesting" then that is a different issue. An original CE will always be more collectible than the current offerings, because, well, they aren't available as such any more. On the other hand, if the current "pseudo-S2 CE" (for lack of a better term) were to be discontinued today, it would be rarer than the originals and might be considered more collectible as a result.

As for pricing: the used market for PRSi is all over the place (I've seen two copies of essentially the same guitar on Reverb at the same time with one twice the price of the other for no good reason), so it really boils down to supply vs demand. If you really want it, it will be worth it. If you can wait, you might find a better deal on a similar or better guitar. And Europe is worse than the US, since PRS isn't as common there, and starts out pricier anyway.

This version with the stoptail isn't very common in Europe. Most distributors didn't want to stock these guitars 'cause they where a little off the beaten path. (no maple cap no trem). I know because I had to mail Prs usa and complain in order to get mine. And believe me the distributor was not pleased at all. . I think they are great workhorse PRS's. Mine sports Dragon II's.

Last edited:
Ok, sorry, I understand now. My opinion is if you are going to start a PRS collection, have at least one nice CE regardless of vintage. They are versatile, sound great and are different enough from the customs to be worth having one around. The model has an interesting history in that it was introduced as a cheaper alternative to the custom line, only to find out that they saved barely any money with the bolt on neck vs. set since you still had to fit the neck into the pocket very precisely and all other components were the same. As a result, a great model was discontinued.

The new CE is different for a number of reasons. First, they play and feel great and PRS has taken manufacturing changes to reduce costs without reducing sound or build quality. The body has less of a carved lip and no recessed knobs which takes time on the CNC machine requires less wood to carve. They now use a three piece neck to save materials and shaping time which really feels great and is probably stronger than a one piece neck. The pickups rock and the hardware is very nice. Some gripe about the bridge a bit but I did not notice one difference.

Anyhow, I need to return my soap box. I'm a big fan of these guitars.

I have 3 CEs all 1997. One is an all hog trem it had been Bastardized before I got it but now has rotary switch and 5310s, nice fret work from. J mann and new case thanks to fedex.

He doesnt negotiate the price. End of the story :rolleyes:

No, as I said before I was interested in the guitar assuming price negotiations.
There will be more guitars, and one (or maybe two!) 594 is in my "must have" list. I'll save this money.

Thank you all

Back