Upgraded SE Santana good buy?

GET TO DA CHOPPA

I found a used Sananta (older model I believe). Looks in good condition, I don't think it originally had coil split, but it was upgraded to have it, and with Dragon 2 pickups, coil split, and tuners. Asking, the equivalent, of $620 USD. Keep in mind, things a generally a little more pricey here, in CAnada even after you calculate in exchange.

Is this a good deal? Are those Dragon 2s AMerican made pups that used to be on Custom 22s or something? I don't know much about them.

I also comes with hardshell case.

Thanks. I really need another guitar, and thought id try to used route this time.

Try it, then buy it, then rock it if it floats your boat.

ITs in a different city, where my daughter happens to be right now, I wouldn't be able to try it myself, she would have to try it for me. I live in a small town, that never has anything cool lol. Im just not familiar with the dragon 2s that are on it.

There are so many factors in wether or not you’ll like a set of pickups, the styles you play, the volume you play at, what your ears want to hear. As Bodia said, they’re USA and some people LOVE them. Boscoe Jessica France has them in his Green guitar. Check out his videos on YouTube with the green guitar. We all expect you play at his level............just kidding! Seriously, They are good pickups that were sprinkled with mojo dust many years ago.

There are so many factors in wether or not you’ll like a set of pickups, the styles you play, the volume you play at, what your ears want to hear. As Bodia said, they’re USA and some people LOVE them. Boscoe Jessica France has them in his Green guitar. Check out his videos on YouTube with the green guitar. We all expect you play at his level............just kidding! Seriously, They are good pickups that were sprinkled with mojo dust many years ago.

I ended up not getting it. My plan is to wait until I can make my way into a bigger city like Toronto, and buy a used S2 standard and actually get to try it first. I can probably get one of those for like $1000 CAD in the city. Living in a small town sucks for used stuff, and shipping is a fortune. If i want/need the pickups upgraded on that, I'll do it. So far I'm pretty happy with the 85/15s on my SE, they really grew on me as long as I don't have the tone maxed on the bridge pickup that is. I average about 6 hours a day in this SE since I got it, (spread out over day) and only switch it with my other guitar when i need different tuning (which is why i want another PRS). I've gotten so much better already because of my current SE. I never enjoyed playing my old JAckson like this. I put the SE locking tuners on my guitar now, love the way it looks.

EDIT watched a few of dude's videos. Love his playing, totally inspiring. He can probably make any guitar sound good though lol.

Last edited:
I bought a used '17 SE Santana a couple of years ago through GC. I paid 400 US for it and couldn't be happier. Well, except the pickups... They were just okay, not bad, not great. So, I replaced them with a custom set and now it's quickly become one of my favorite guitars.

The quality of PRS, event he SEs, is so darn consistent, it's hard to find a bad PRS.

I honestly have zero interest in chasing down a more expensive one (unless I hit the lottery, of course). This little bugger is a great guitar.

Back