1980 West Street Ltd Pickup Opinion

DaveP

Wherever you go, that's where you are.
I recently pickup up a West Street, not really fond of the pickups. The guitar rings very open when played unplugged. Very alive feeling guitar.
I don't think the stock West St, pickups do the guitar justice.

Question:
I have a set of both 59/09 (uncovered square bobbins) and 57/08's (Covered). The 59/09's sound great in my Custom 24. Fantastic pickups.
Never tried the 57/08's. Which would be better suited of this guitar? I probably can't go wrong with either set.

What tone are you going for? The 57/08s are going to be a little lower output than the 59/09s. Personally, I'd love to hear the 57/08s in a Westie, but that's just me.

If the 57/08's get me close to the 59/09 with a touch less output they might do the trick. I'm not going for extreme metal, just a good old fashion PAF crunch with clarity in the bridge.
I really like the 59/09 neck. Very musical without being muddy. If the 57/08 gives me more of that clarity that would me my choice.

Old thread, but what pickups are West St? I had heard rumor they were RP pickups re-labeled and that they were VB & HFS re-labeled. I have a West St Limited but the prior owner put 59.09 in it. It's great, but I'd like to pickup a set of what the originals were too!

Back