12/22/15 forum upgrade talk

james

Administrator
Staff member
I wanted to open a thread here as a place to talk about the software upgrade. Please feel free to ask questions or report bugs (if a bug appears to be a permissions concern, please contact me privately).

I love that the forum tabs are at the bottom of the pages as well as the top now.

PS, this section does not show up also when hitting the new posts link.
Had to come in here manually.

weird. they're showing up in the New Posts section on the sidebar but not inside the link at the top. are you seeing the same thing?

I see it too loading in the sidebar that is on the far right below where it shows the members who are online.
Also I cannot quote you, that seems to be missing from my comp window or buttons to reply to the thread.

I see Vaughn got one of my vids to work in the Fulltone Tape Tube Echo thread, do you just paste the raw URL without clicking anything in the comp window, or do you need to click the media link next to the picture insert icon?

Back to the posts not showing up though with the New Posts link, I had the same exact problem on the old forum with anything in the "General" section and its subfolders.
I had to go in manually, or subscribe to a thread and then see it in my CP.

I see Vaughn got one of my vids to work in the Fulltone Tape Tube Echo thread, do you just paste the raw URL without clicking anything in the comp window, or do you need to click the media link next to the picture insert icon?

you just click the media button and paste the full youtube URL into that field. it will automatically recognize that it's from YouTube and format it properly.

Don't worry about going back and fixing old video links manually (in fact, please don't!). I will be able to run a global find-and-replace with a regular expression to change all the old video links over. i'm just putting things in place to make that happen now

As Corey said, all of the old video links are broken, although the URLs are there, so I wouldn't consider Corey's work ruined. James - the new tag is a MEDIA tag instead of VIDEO - not sure if you can do a mass replace on VIDEO] to fix that. Goldtop's big thread will suffer the same fate.

General Discussions shows up under the New Topics link at the top of the page.

All of the attached photos (as opposed to linked photos) are not showing up. The horror of the PSF thread is too much to bear!!!

I'm curious to see how the "mark forums read" function works - it's something I've wished for. It's going to make it harder to work if I know I can pop into a thread or six and not lose my progress in all the other threads!

The circular avatars take some getting used to. Not sure I like that. Not sure I like that pictures in quotes are shrunk and fade out. It's livable, but it'll be an adjustment.

Two things I forgot - seemed like a fairly smooth transition to the new software, so nice job, James!

But...NO EDIT FUNCTION???????

Just saw the RSS link on the main forums page - that's a nice touch. Not that I'll likely use it, but it's a nice way to get the feeds.

And I'll miss the recent activity page - Justrob just got me using that in the past two months!

Two things I forgot - seemed like a fairly smooth transition to the new software, so nice job, James!

thanks! did some dry runs locally and ironed out the kinks. we'll still have some legacy issues leftover from odd user permissions that have carried over from our initial phpbb > vBulletin transition. Kinks such as:

But...NO EDIT FUNCTION???????

you're unable to edit your posts? let me look...

all* videos should be fixed now

*there might be a few here and there, but 99% at least should be fixed, as far as I can tell

Back