10's on a DGT?

Cranknfrank

More DGT's please.........
Hello,
Until a few years ago, I played 11's on my DGT since 2008. I started developing some hand and wrist issues (due to work) a few years ago and I dropped down to 10.5's. The low end on the guitar was reduced a bit but that actually worked out fine. I felt that the guitar became a bit more versatile for me after the gauge change. I'm having further issues with my hands and I'm afraid that I'll need to go to 10's. Are any of you out there using 10's on a DGT? I'm just wondering if the Trem will need to be adjusted and possibly the truss rod with the change in tension. Have you noticed major tonal differences? I'm fine with doing my own light set-up work but I was just curious about what other DGT players were doing. Thanks for reading......much appreciated.

"Are any of you out there using 10's on a DGT?"
I ran 10's on mine for a month or two, then switched to 8's... and LOVE IT!
For reference, I'm using Ernie Ball Pure Nickel strings.

"I'm just wondering if the Trem will need to be adjusted and possibly the truss rod with the change in tension."

Going down to 10's from 10.5 probably won't need much at all.
Going down to 8's required a little adjustment to the rear springs-- just a bit to get the bridge plate parallel with the body, and the intonation need just a very slight tweak. Also did a very slight adjustment to the neck. It's been wearing 8's for 11 months now and hasn't needed any further attention.

"Have you noticed major tonal differences?"
Nothing at all from 11's to 10's. Only slightly from 10's to 8's. All I needed was an adjustment to the amp, and bingo! back in business ;)
There are some noticeable improvements to clarity and definition using 8's vs 10's.

Also, being an older guy with hand issues the move to 8's has made a huge difference.

Hope something there helps!

~M

Last edited:
One of my fingers fell off completely while playing my DGT, but I'm stubbornly sticking to the .011s until another one goes.

Don't worry, I was able to clean the blood and stuff off the guitar when the finger fell off, but I did stain the rug, and had to have my suit cleaned.

One of my fingers fell off completely while playing my DGT, but I'm stubbornly sticking to the .011s until another one goes.

Don't worry, I was able to clean the blood and stuff off the guitar when the finger fell off, but I did stain the rug, and had to have my suit cleaned.
Oh I can hear it now........only prs doctors and lawyers wear suits while playing their guitars.........lol

"Are any of you out there using 10's on a DGT?"
I ran 10's on mine for a month or two, then switched to 8's... and LOVE IT!
For reference, I'm using Ernie Ball Pure Nickel strings.

"I'm just wondering if the Trem will need to be adjusted and possibly the truss rod with the change in tension."

Going down to 10's for 10.5 probably won't need much at all.
Going down to 8's required a little adjustment to the rear springs-- just a bit to get the bridge plate parallel with the body, and the intonation need just a very slight tweak. Also did a very slight adjustment to the neck. It's been wearing 8's for 11 months now and hasn't needed any further attention.

"Have you noticed major tonal differences?"
Nothing at all from 11's to 10's. Only slightly from 10's to 8's. All I needed was an adjustment to the amp, and bingo! back in business ;)
There are some noticeable improvements to clarity and definition using 8's vs 10's.

Also, being an older guy with hand issues the move to 8's has made a huge difference.

Hope something there helps!

~M
Thanks very much for the info. Sounds like there won't be much difference with this change. Thanks again!

Hello,
Until a few years ago, I played 11's on my DGT since 2008. I started developing some hand and wrist issues (due to work) a few years ago and I dropped down to 10.5's. The low end on the guitar was reduced a bit but that actually worked out fine. I felt that the guitar became a bit more versatile for me after the gauge change. I'm having further issues with my hands and I'm afraid that I'll need to go to 10's. Are any of you out there using 10's on a DGT? I'm just wondering if the Trem will need to be adjusted and possibly the truss rod with the change in tension. Have you noticed major tonal differences? I'm fine with doing my own light set-up work but I was just curious about what other DGT players were doing. Thanks for reading......much appreciated.
Funny, I just dropped down from NYXL 11's to D’Addario Pure Nickel 10's on my 2022 DGT a few days ago. It's so much easier to play. Easier bends. Great feel on the vibrato. And still lots of great tone. Feels like a good balance and makes me reach for my DGT even more. I'd definitely recommend it — especially if your hands and wrists have been giving you a hard time. Cheers!

Funny, I just dropped down from NYXL 11's to D’Addario Pure Nickel 10's on my 2022 DGT a few days ago
I love the tone of pure nickel strings, too. Have you tried the Sono-Tone pure nickel vintage sets? One of our esteemed members who does guitar demos at NAMM turned me on to them a couple of years ago. I like them because they're brighter than the D'Addario pure nickels, and they have a nice feel.

Absolutely put tens on it, they play beautiful
I left the 50 on the low E, but absolutely 10gauge NYXL and a simple two or three turns of the claw screw to level the tremolo, super simple.
I love doing 2 step bends.... Pink Floyd is my fun pack of songs on the DGT .

mHM9MpP.jpg

I would think you would need to back the truss rod back unless your neck is extra rigid ( all wood is different) you would also need to back the trem claw screws back to, I’m getting up there in age too and my hands are not what they used to be, although it’s ironic that I started playing guitar on 8’s and have since changed to 9’s then 10’s,9-46 is my magic number, my son plays on 8’s.. he’s like mini me 😅

I also changed to NYXL Balanced Tension 10 to get the Trem lying to the body for a gig next week where I will have to detune the low e to C and D for different songs. The guitar sounds and plays great. After the gig will return to NYXL 011 balanced tension

I love the tone of pure nickel strings, too. Have you tried the Sono-Tone pure nickel vintage sets? One of our esteemed members who does guitar demos at NAMM turned me on to them a couple of years ago. I like them because they're brighter than the D'Addario pure nickels, and they have a nice feel.
Oh cool, I haven't tried Sono-Tone pure nickel vintage strings. I'll have to give them a go. Thanks for the heads up.

Back