08 Miras weight difference?

Ziggy 0013

I bought 2 08 Miras in the last 4 weeks and noticed today when the 2nd one arrived that it weighs about 1 1/2 lbs more than the other. How can this be ? The seller said it was 9.2 lbs but I figured he misweighed it. Love them both.

My 25th Anniversary Mira 245 Soapbar weighs just 6 lbs., 1 oz. Light as a feather!

The reason is that there’s quite a bit of variety in the weight of mahogany (and other woods).

You didn’t know this?

This. And the origin of the mahogany has a lot to do with the weight. The central and south America stuff weighs less mostly than the African varieties by 3 pounds per cubic foot on average.

You could've had a really really dense piece on the heavier one and average-light on the other.

Let's see. You take in. You gain. You exercise. You lose weight. An unmodified guitar can neither gain nor lose. The weight is the same. Guitar weight and wood density is dependent on tree growth and ring/grain structure. Tree growth and ring/gain structure is dependent on location, soil quality, precipitation, heat, and other environmental factors.

You order a guitar sometimes blindly not knowing its weight, and it shows up on your doorstep. Does this make more sense now, or do I need to mark your chart for more lessons?

It’s settled for me, after getting my SE Paul’s, which is light as a feather and sustains for days. OK, maybe not for days, but longer than any other guitar that I have. :cool:

Have you been hanging around the Les Paul forums again? You have, haven't you ;)
Ha ha,

No but I do own two Heritage 150's. Each weighs about 9.5 Lbs. The sustain is very good, but probably not a lot more than my SC's. I do hear more bottom end out of them. I think that is what the thicker mahogany offers.

I love Miras. I'm just waiting for a Mira 245 at less that $1,000!!!

Back