Wife's NBD: 2001 EB-4 Maple Fretboard

That's hot.

Can I get all black guitar strings? Cause major gas!

Yes, you can. I forget where I saw them.

Yes, you can. DR Strings makes several sets of colored strings. I had a set of tourqoise strings on a Seafoam ‘57 Strat Reissue a bunch of years ago.

Yes, you can. I forget where I saw them.

I have ideas.

Yes, you can. DR Strings makes several sets of colored strings. I had a set of tourqoise strings on a Seafoam ‘57 Strat Reissue a bunch of years ago.

Thanks, boss.

Pretty sure matching strings to your guitar releases some sort of cosmic tone power that I need to experience.

So I took the calipers to the new-to-us EB-4 and the Kingfisher and Kestrel, to see how much smaller the EB-4 neck dimensions were, giving such a noticeable easier feel, especially frets 1-4 or so.

What sorcery is this! The EB-4 neck is bigger, noticeably, than the current SEs! 1.63" wide vs 1.59" at the nut. About 1/8" thicker, too (hard to measure with strings on): 0.825" vs 0.712" wood thickness (i.e. ignoring the fret height) between the first fret and nut, eyeballing using calipers.

We then picked them up, and lo and behold, the EB-4 still feels "easier" to wrap our hands around, even though it is physically bigger in those two dimensions. Maybe the "roundness" of the neck profile - perhaps the SEs are more "D" shaped, whereas the EB-4 is more "C" shaped?

Admittedly my wife had been playing our bandmates Yamaha bass the night before, so maybe the EB-4 was such a difference it threw off her now mis-calibrated hands, and just felt easier, but we did do a direct compare in feel with the Kingfisher we had brought along with the EB-4 (in case the unopened EB-4 was somehow broken).

Maybe it is the maple? I have always felt that maple was more comfortable in my hands. This isn't the satin unfinished-feel maple of today's PRS (which is the best maple finish ever, IMHO), this still has a light "lacquer" to it.

Gonna try to do some playing comparisons later today, for neck feel and tone. Should be illuminating!

Yes, you can. DR Strings makes several sets of colored strings.

I believe the preferred term these days is 'strings of color'.

I've done some of those, matching the color of the strings to the guitars. They changed something w/the blue strings recently - they were harder to get, the feel was noticeably different to me, and the quality just wasn't as good. I put them on my Tremonti - the first set just didn't seem to want to hold a tuning for very long. The second set has been better in that regard, but the feel is still there. But it's such a cool look!

Back