Action Preferences

danktat

Award winning tattoo artist ... Amateur guitarist
I was looking up FACTORY specs on string height after seeing a small clip that was from someone who works at PTC. They seem to be WAAAAAYYYY more precise than what I tend to get mine set up at. I am generally at 4\64 at the 12th fret on the bass side, and 3/64 on the treble side. (And I am eyeballing it with an action ruler from Stew mac). Not sure I have tools be have that level of precision as the PRS site recommends. But they look pretty close to what I do. What do you guys do with your setups? Anyone slam it way lower than that? Any of you all sorts of SRV with 2 inch action at the 12th? Just wondering where others are with action. I like enough to "feel" the strings, but I don't want to be fighting it if I can help it (I am using 10-46 strings by the way).

Link to the factory specs from PRS below.

https://support.prsguitars.com/hc/e...ry-specifications-for-my-U-S-PRS-guitar-setup

I Generally aim for 1.6mm treble graduating to 1.8mm on the bass side at the 12th fret. Although that may vary slightly between guitars for various reasons.

Could easily be +/- 0.2mm. I don’t sweat it when it comes to absolute precision. If it feels good I’m done.

Just using a cheap generic machine rule and a cheap Chinese action ruler off eBay or Amazon.

I Generally aim for 1.6mm treble graduating to 1.8mm on the bass side at the 12th fret. Although that may vary slightly between guitars for various reasons.

Could easily be +/- 0.2mm. I don’t sweat it when it comes to absolute precision. If it feels good I’m done.

Just using a cheap generic machine rule and a cheap Chinese action ruler off eBay or Amazon.

Are you saying that not all rulers are equal?

Are you saying that not all rulers are equal?
il_570xN.3154093457_lx89.jpg

Aching to get the action set right on my se cu24-08 , just feels too high on the higher frets, still playable but would like it lower, hopefully have time to sit this week and go over it again, wondered if maybe needs a tweak to the truss rod

wondered if maybe needs a tweak to the truss rod
I was just thinking that. With me, if I don't notice it near the nut, but it gets worse quickly as it goes up the neck, it is usually a little bit of a bow in the neck. A quick adjustment generally takes care of it. If it is a nut cut, or the saddles are high, I also feel it down in the cowboy chord region.

Last edited:
Aching to get the action set right on my se cu24-08 , just feels too high on the higher frets, still playable but would like it lower, hopefully have time to sit this week and go over it again, wondered if maybe needs a tweak to the truss rod
I'd prefer my SE CE 24 standard satin a little closer on the higher frets as well.
Mine will not go any lower up high unless I re-level with fall away in it.
I just lack the time and motivation right now. Sometimes good enough, is good enough.
As is, I'm at lower end of the PRS spec

I use a 6" steel ruler that measures in 64th of an inch. I put the end of the ruler on the 12th fret and adjust the treble E string so the string is exactly between 3/64" and 1/16" line. Then I set the bass E string so it just covers the 1/16" line. Maybe just a hint of the ruler line showing underneath the string. My PRS's are all stopbars, so then I'm done setting the action. I can get lower without buzz, but this is what feels best to me.

For my Fender copies, I do the same thing, but on the 11th fret and adjust all the other strings so they gradually increase in height from treble E to bass E.

I'd prefer my SE CE 24 standard satin a little closer on the higher frets as well.
Mine will not go any lower up high unless I re-level with fall away in it.
I just lack the time and motivation right now. Sometimes good enough, is good enough.
As is, I'm at lower end of the PRS spec

I really don’t think that us Se owners should feel so out of place in this forum, I thought that would be the way when I first joined and expected snobbery or whatever from core owners but that wasn’t the case, in fact many of the members owning Core WL or PS still hold SE. They’re of course not on par with core but priced against competition I’d throw any of my two in the ring, they make me want to play, and that to me is the best thing I can ask of an axe. I’d love a core but have to balance a family too, I’m not a gigging musician I’m a home player writing songs most probably nobody will ever hear. I’ve discussed before about my desire for a Core or above as something to hand down to my son, but SE is still PRS, don’t shy into the shadows, be proud

I really don’t think that us Se owners should feel so out of place in this forum, I thought that would be the way when I first joined and expected snobbery or whatever from core owners but that wasn’t the case, in fact many of the members owning Core WL or PS still hold SE. They’re of course not on par with core but priced against competition I’d throw any of my two in the ring, they make me want to play, and that to me is the best thing I can ask of an axe. I’d love a core but have to balance a family too, I’m not a gigging musician I’m a home player writing songs most probably nobody will ever hear. I’ve discussed before about my desire for a Core or above as something to hand down to my son, but SE is still PRS, don’t shy into the shadows, be proud
Don't get me wrong...
I love my SEs; I have bought four since October. Out-of-the-box, they are the best factory guitars I've ever bought and they are all keepers. So much so, I'm skeptical how much better core models can be. When I do step up to a core, wood library or private stock, I will have very high expectations.

Seems most of the forum 'veterans' have a poor opinion of the Indonesian-made guitars; most through second-hand forum experience. Well, where do people come to b*tch about the inevitable turd? An enthusiat's forum...
My personal experiences have been great.

That said, I know I can improve them. Miniscule improvements; but improvements nonetheless.

I doubt even cores have fall away...
I was just relating one way one might lower the action on the higher frets; regardless of series or brand. It's something I've done to all my guitars to get them closer to 'perfect'.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong...
I love my SEs; I have bought four since October. Out-of-the-box, they are the best factory guitars I've ever bought and they are all keepers. So much so, I'm skeptical how much better core models can be. When I do step up to a core, wood library or private stock, I will have very high expectations.

Seems most of the forum 'veterans' have a poor opinion of the Indonesian-made guitars; most through second-hand forum experience. Well, where do people come to b*tch about the inevitable turd? An enthusiat's forum...
My personal experiences have been great.

That said, I know I can improve them. Miniscule improvements; but improvements nonetheless.

I doubt even cores have fall away...
I was just relating one way one might lower the action on the higher frets; regardless of series or brand. It's something I've done to all my guitars to get them closer to 'perfect'.

My Tremonti se was setup and plays like a dream, I’m trying to do the cu24-08 on my own as a learning choice, both my prs se are great sfit and finish some Korean one Indo- the most important thing is to make whatever is in your hands comfortable for you

My action is pretty high - 4mm at the 12th fret (round abouts...). I hate ANY buzzing, and will either raise the action until it is gone, or (usually) put some bow in the neck. I like to be able to "strangle" the guitar. I have had more than one person in shock that I can play that way.

Back