Which Core model would you get in these circumstances?

It looks like you have several double cut guitars. I would add a singlecut 594 for flavor, or a 513 if you had less guitars and wanted to do more with one.

I’d say DGT and be open to changing the bridge pickup if needed.
I going to start out by saying with the right amp any guitar can do most anything.
Something like a Mesa MKV or a Kemper, the list goes on.

The list I would look at first

1) Tie in my book CU-24 / CU-24/08 or a 408

Honerable mention
( I have these and all would be worthy )
Special Semi Hollow and love it
513 would be killer for what your after.
Single Cut Trem
The amp can make all the difference. 311 was mentioned by the OP. The Stereolithic album timeframe, Tim replaced most of his pickups with 57/08 but used an Uberschall. Probably my favorite tones he’s had. I can verify that 57/08’s kill with the Archon as well.

I am confused. Likely old age.

If you already have single coil sounds and trem, and good ones from what I gather from your list, what is it you are trying to accomplish that you don't already have?

Very fair question. Essentially I'd just like the PRS to cover as much ground as it can so I don't have to change guitars as I switch between different sounds. I'm using an Axe FX III FYI.

Thanks again for all of the input. I'd love to hear more.

Regarding the DGT bridge pickup - what is it about it that may not work, particularly for metal and higher gain sounds?

Very fair question. Essentially I'd just like the PRS to cover as much ground as it can so I don't have to change guitars as I switch between different sounds. I'm using an Axe FX III FYI.

Thanks again for all of the input. I'd love to hear more.

Regarding the DGT bridge pickup - what is it about it that may not work, particularly for metal and higher gain sounds?

The best way i can explain it is that it emphasizes the wrong frequencies for high gain so it tends to sound a bit harsh. Ive tried it on my hk tubemeister 36 as well as 5150 and jcm800 profiles on my helix and despite tweaking, couldnt find a sound i liked or came close to my other guitars.
That said, try it out. Everyone has different preferences

Personally, I find that the old Custom 22 with the Dragon II pickups and 5-way rotary will do a lot of what the OP wants. There are just some cool sounds on the rotary that I don't hear with the blade. I also think that any of the models with the "08" switching (Paul's, 408, 24-08) would get the job done.

I personally would like a PRS that sounds like an LP, Stratoid, Tele, Gretsch, and a Danelectro. But! I always sound like me, so that ain’t gonna happen. I’ve Also come to realize that I’m not going to marry Halle Berry. The problem is that every PRS I ever played sounded great and was capable of multiple sounds, but they always sounded like a PRS to my ears. Go flagship, live with the split coil sounds and enjoy the fact that in the end, only a PRS can sound like a PRS. Go custom 24, or 24-08.

If its versatility you want, Guitars that can replace multiple instruments,, then you need to look at the 513 (if you can find one as PRS aren't making anymore), the 509 or the Special 22. The 513 and 509 offer the middle Single Coil as well as SC neck and bridge and as such can function a bit like a Strat in terms of the 5-way switching options with a 3 SC type guitar - although the bridge is more Tele in my opinion. You can't get the 'double humbucker' (middle selection on a LP) but you can still get the humbucker Neck and Bridge too.

If you want something a bit more Les Paul ish, you can get the Special 22 Semi-Hollow. You can still split the Neck and Bridge, use them in combination with the Narrowfield in the middle but, unlike the 509/513, when in the 'middle position', you don't get the middle PU on it's own but you do get the two humbuckers which of course can be either split or humbucking.

All of these come with a Trem too so you have that as an option. These are the most versatile instruments that PRS make (or at least have made in the 513). If you are buying 'new', the main difference between the 509 and Special 22 is whether you want to use the 'middle' PU on its own or prefer to have both 'humbuckers'. The Special 22 is more versatile but you can't use the Narrowfield on its own but, you can swap the Humbuckers out (if you really want to) where as the 509 (like the 513) have to remain stock. Not that it bothers me as all my guitars are Stock.

Guitars like the Paul's (excellent SC tones btw), Custom 24-08, 408 and 594 all offer individual coil splitting tones and, as such, give you 8 different combinations but you don't get the 'strat type' position with the middle and either neck or bridge PU like you do with the other PRS guitars I mentioned, Some of these are fixed bridge too so you wont get the trem like a strat. They are all more Les Paul like with added functionality thanks to coil splits.

I feel it depends how picky OP is. For instance a vintage LP tone and modern Metal don’t often go together because of the low output normally associated with vintage LP tones. To be fair, OP never mentioned the word vintage, so I’m most likely projecting what I consider the ideal LP tone. I believe a CU24-08 will be the bet bet for OP. The 85/15 MT has enough output to get into modern metal territory. The coil split on the CU24-08 is among the best available from PRS, and yes I like it better than a regular CU24. IMO the only guitar that sounds even better coil split than a CU24-08 is Paul’s Guitar. The CU24-08 has a trem and is extremely versatile. Sure a DGT, McCarty and a 594 will arguably be more suited to do the whole LP stuff, but I believe the CU24-08 fits OP’s needs a bit better.

I'm a little confused about this question because all the music forms you mentioned don't really call for split coil sounds that much, so my suggestion is this.

You already have guitars that do split coil and they are all pretty similar, (bolt ons, Trem, Fender design stuff, etc.), my suggestion is to get something as far from what you already have rather than getting what PRS does similar. Think of it as an addition to your arsenal that does what the others don't.

For that, I'd go with the semi hollow.

What you listed musically can all be done humbucker/bridge PU so I'd extend my palate with something to further your range of tone. I also think the best suggestion I could make out of all of this is to put one in your hands and fall in love with it. That will do more for your guitar collection than targeting your safe zones tone wise, you never know when you might want to branch off to blues or something else.

Good luck with your choice.

You're getting married soon and want to add a PRS to your collection before your priorities change and the frequency of acquiring gear slows. Said another way, you don't know when you'll be in the position to buy another guitar.

My wife buys me guitars. So all I’m saying is, before you get married, make sure she’s the kind of woman who does that.

Looks fade and sex slows down, but guitars last lifetimes.

You're getting married soon and want to add a PRS to your collection before your priorities change and the frequency of acquiring gear slows. Said another way, you don't know when you'll be in the position to buy another guitar.

You already own Strats, Teles and Super Strats (Fender CS, Danocaster and Suhr Moderns). You aren’t thrilled with the split coil sounds on the Suhrs.

You want to cover as many of the following sounds as possible:

*90s rap/funk rock (think 311 and Jimmie's Chicken Shack, each of which use PRS, with Mahoney using a Custom 24 w/ stoptail and Jimi using mostly McCartys.
*Metal
*Les Paul classic rock sounds
*80s hard rock (Van Halen, Def Leppard)

Nice to haves are:

*Solid single coil sounds when split
*Trem

Which PRS would you choose? So far I've been torn between a DGT, McCarty 594, Custom 24 and Special 22 Semi Hollow (though I'm not sure how the last one would handle high gain sounds). Budget is flexible.
I have a 408 it has great single coil sounds with no volume loss and a trem.

You already own Strats, Teles and Super Strats (Fender CS, Danocaster and Suhr Moderns). You aren’t thrilled with the split coil sounds on the Suhrs.

You want to cover as many of the following sounds as possible:

*90s rap/funk rock (think 311 and Jimmie's Chicken Shack, each of which use PRS, with Mahoney using a Custom 24 w/ stoptail and Jimi using mostly McCartys.
*Metal
*Les Paul classic rock sounds
*80s hard rock (Van Halen, Def Leppard)

Nice to haves are:

*Solid single coil sounds when split
*Trem

Which PRS would you choose? So far I've been torn between a DGT, McCarty 594, Custom 24 and Special 22 Semi Hollow (though I'm not sure how the last one would handle high gain sounds). Budget is flexible.

I would go 594 or 408.

Back