How would you compare / contrast the DGT and Studio?

You can learn to adapt to your Studio, since it will not adapt to you. I anchor my hand towards the rear of the bridge, and pick in the open space between the pickups. Also, my middle narrowfield sits low, just above the ring. I love this guitar.

That’s cool that you did the resistor mod to your other PRS guitars to get the DGT/594 style coil tap. I’d never heard of this before getting the DGT. I’m surprised it’s not more common.

The resistors aren't a new thing. Paul just seemed to do a better job executing it than others have done in the past. I also know they changed the resistor values over the years. The resistors in my DGT and 594 are not the same values they use today. I know both are stock because I bought them new. I had thought about playing around with different values to see what the difference was but I started with the current values PRS uses and I liked the results so I stayed with those.

You can learn to adapt to your Studio, since it will not adapt to you. I anchor my hand towards the rear of the bridge, and pick in the open space between the pickups. Also, my middle narrowfield sits low, just above the ring. I love this guitar.
I had mine just above the ring but lowered it to have the top of the bobbin even with the top of the ring. Time will tell if that reduces it enough to get along with it.

I had mine just above the ring but lowered it to have the top of the bobbin even with the top of the ring. Time will tell if that reduces it enough to get along with it.
Here's the current height of my middle pickup:

I played a few hours last night - a combination of chords, leads, double stops. I didn't have issues with hitting the middle pickup. Will update if that changes.

Here's the current height of my middle pickup:

I played a few hours last night - a combination of chords, leads, double stops. I didn't have issues with hitting the middle pickup. Will update if that changes.
I would have to measure mine to see where it ended up. I lowered my trem a little bit to get the action where I like it. It plays great but I am sure that is also another reason I have started hitting the middle pickup. I think I am in that 5/32 to 11/64" range from what I remember.

I’ve had the Studio for 2 weeks now and have been playing it almost every day. @JasonE I haven’t had problems with the middle pickup interfering with my picking. I noticed it occasionally when I first got the guitar. Maybe I’m compensating subconsciously?

I’m really digging the nearfield pickups on the Studio - especially for clean sounds. I like the clean tones I get with the narrowfields even more than the DGT split coil sounds. That‘s saying a lot as the DGT split coil sounds are really good. The narrowfields are more chimey and have more clarity.

I did a quick recording of a song I'm working on using the studio. I used the neck pickup for both the chords and lead parts.

Last edited:
I’ve had the Studio for 2 weeks now and have been playing it almost every day. @JasonE I haven’t had problems with the middle pickup interfering with my picking. I noticed it occasionally when I first got the guitar. Maybe I’m compensating subconsciously?

I’m really digging the nearfield pickups on the Studio - especially for clean sounds. I like the clean tones I get with the narrowfields even more than the DGT split coil sounds. That‘s saying a lot as the DGT split coil sounds are really good. The narrowfields are more chimey and have more clarity.

I did a quick recording of a song I'm working on using the studio. I used the neck pickup for both the chords and lead parts.

The little bit I was able to lower the middle pickup has helped a lot on mine. It really wasn't all that much of an adjustment, maybe about the thickness of the top bobbin. It was just enough. I have been playing mine almost every day too.

Nice!

I am a lucky PRS studio (2023), and I really love it.

Narrowfield pickups are a unique sound proposition, they have a sound which is a midway between humbucker and single coil. They retain a part of the clarity and top end of the single coil, but they do also have a bit of warmth of the humbucker. All the 7 positions sound really good, including the humbucker splitted. The humbucker itself has a lot of clarity, very good string separation and not muddy at all. It has not that mid focused nasal sound typical of vintage Les Pauls and it has not an aggressive sound, indeed it is very usable also clean. I have tried a DGT once and the bridge pickup of the DGT is hotter and more mid focused, it sounds great with distorsion (but also the Studio sound very good with high gain). The position of the Studio which I like less is the middle pickup.

You will not like the guitar if you think it can sound 100% as a single coil sound or if you think it can sound like a strat or like a Les Paul. You will also not like the guitar if you are used to fender thin necks, it is much beefier.

You can play any kind of music but with a unique personality.

Regards,

Claudio

Initially, I had problems with hitting the middle pickup on all my 3 pickup guitars. I made a conscious decision to change my right hand so that didn't happen. It took about 3 months, and occasionally is still a work in progress. In the end, my technique got better for everything.

I have heard this issue from several people. Also I heard a John Petrucci interview where he was saying that he does not like 3 pick-up guitars because he would hit the middle pick-up.

However I have to say I have never had this issue and I cannot understand how It is possible to have problems since the PRS studio middle pick-up is low respect to the strings.

I have heard this issue from several people. Also I heard a John Petrucci interview where he was saying that he does not like 3 pick-up guitars because he would hit the middle pick-up.

However I have to say I have never had this issue and I cannot understand how It is possible to have problems since the PRS studio middle pick-up is low respect to the strings.
I have the Studio and MEV and have no such issues. Hopefully it doesn’t become an issue in the future!

I have the Studio and MEV and have no such issues. Hopefully it doesn’t become an issue in the future!
It's a playing style and/or setup thing. I never have the issue but I've always preferred 3 pickup guitars.

I have a number of 3 pickup guitars. I am a huge fan of the HSS pickup configuration for my gigging guitars. I had a lot of issues hitting the middle pickup on my PRS Studio when I received it. I lowered my trem just a little bit after I got it to get the action where the rest of my PRS guitars are. That put the strings a little closer to the strings than what the factory setup would allow but it made it play much nicer. I found that I had the middle pickup set with the top bobbin just above the pickup ring. I lowered it so the top of the bobbin is level with the top of the pickup ring and I rarely hit it anymore. This is the only 3 pickup guitar that I have had a real issue with. I am glad that I finally got it to where it works for me. It was becoming an issue for me that may have caused me to sell the guitar before I lowered the pickup that tiny bit more. It didn't negatively affect the sound of the pickup and stopped me from hitting it so it is a win all around.

Back