Which PRS guitars have the partial split coil feature?

Markcarl

I am new to PRS guitars. I recently got an SE DGT and 2 core DGTs. I’m digging the split coil like sounds I can get with these guitars. I understand the DGTs have partial split coils. Is this common to PRS guitars or just specific to certain models? My son has a custom 24 from around 2010. Would this have partially split coils too?

^ What he said.

And you're "new to PRS guitars" and already have an SE and 2 cores? Yeah, you'll fit in here just fine. It took me like 16 months to get to 3 PRSi!!;)

Welcome, and...

pics.gif

Thanks for the responses!

Here is a pic of the 3 amigos:

DGTs by Mark Carleton, on Flickr
@Markcarl ….Just very curious. …… I’m considering another DGT…:oops:
Do your 2 core DGT’s sound the same, different, or very different from each other ?
And how does the SE version sound and play compared to your 2 core versions?

@Markcarl ….Just very curious. …… I’m considering another DGT…:oops:
Do your 2 core DGT’s sound the same, different, or very different from each other ?
And how does the SE version sound and play compared to your 2 core versions?

Each of the guitars sounds different. They’re all similar though. I bought the SE first and was blown away by it! That made me want to try the core model. I liked that so much that I got another.

The sound and playability of the SE is very similar to the 2 core models I have. I think the SE sounds a little brighter than my core models but it’s a subtle difference. It definitely holds its own. From what I can tell the SE tremolo works just as good as the core models.

I’ve heard people say if PRS makes the SEs so good maybe people will stop buying the cores? I kind of doubt that will happen. In my case, the opposite happened. The SE was so good it sparked my interest in the DGT and I ended up buying 2 cores. I don’t regret my purchase of these three guitars and have no plans to sell any of them. They’re all keepers!

I’m not in a band currently but am playing out at open mics. Right now I feel more comfortable taking the SE out to play in bars, etc… than I do with the cores. I don’t feel like I’m compromising when I play the SE.

Someday in the future I may get a Silver Sky - either an SE or US model.

Last edited:
Love the guitars! That an FM9 Turbo? I use Axe FX III MkII Turbo most gigs live and use FM9 Turbo for backup and church gigs.

Thanks! Yes. I just got an FM9 Turbo to use upstairs and to play out with. I have an Axe-Fx III Mk II Turbo / FC-12 controller in my basement studio. The Fractal stuff is scary good.

I’ve heard people say if PRS makes the SEs so good maybe people will stop buying the cores? I kind of doubt that will happen. In my case, the opposite happened. The SE was so good it sparked my interest in the DGT and I ended up buying 2 cores. I don’t regret my purchase of these three guitars and have no plans to sell any of them. They’re all keepers!

Guys have always liked to "hot rod" their hot rods...right?

I like to hot rod SE's. They're a great platform and it's what guys do. This guy anyway.

Upgrading the pickups is the first upgrade I do to my SE's.

If the SE has a wraparound bridge/tailpiece I upgrade that with a milled aluminum PRS "Paul" or MannMade bridge. Deepens the tone. Sounds less plinky.

Next I upgrade to locking tuners. Just...because.

Next would be a Tusq nut. I have them for my Bernie Marsden SE's but haven't installed them yet.

Last edited:
The sound and playability of the SE is very similar to the 2 core models I have.
The SE's are some of the best values on the planet. My SE245 Soapbar and my Stripped '58 get more playing time than all the rest of the PRS/Gibson/Fender herd combined.

I just got an FM9 Turbo to use upstairs and to play out with. I have an Axe-Fx III Mk II Turbo / FC-12 controller in my basement studio. The Fractal stuff is scary good.
Was lucky enough to get an FM9 in October 2021 but it wasn't until I recently got a pair of little Genelecs that mine got to be 'scary good.' I figured with Cliff's comment of "Can't go wrong with Genelecs" and @László having a pair prior to getting his, like Cliff's, Event Opal monitors that those two guys' experience was enough of a recommendation for me.

Last edited:
Was lucky enough to get an FM9 in October 2021 but it wasn't until I recently got a pair of little Genelecs that mine got to be 'scary good.' I figured with Cliff's comment of "Can't go wrong with Genelecs" and @László having a pair prior to getting his, like Cliff's, Event Opal monitors that those two guys' experience was enough of a recommendation for me.
You find Genelecs in every single postproduction studio in my area. Mains, near fields, mid fields. They're a reference standard at this point.

My last set of Genelecs live with my son. He's produced major label records and award-winning podcasts (NY Times and Apple Ten Best) using them.

You're in excellent company.

You find Genelecs in every single postproduction studio in my area. Mains, near fields, mid fields. They're a reference standard at this point.

My last set of Genelecs live with my son. He's produced major label records and award-winning podcasts (NY Times and Apple Ten Best) using them.

You're in excellent company.
Don't have Genelecs, but both Fractals sound great through any one of my Laney LFR-212, JBLEON715's (what I used for stage sidefills), or my Presonus studio monitors and Presonus 10" studio subwoofer. I'll have to try to scrounge up some Genelecs to try out.

Don't have Genelecs, but both Fractals sound great through any one of my Laney LFR-212, JBLEON715's (what I used for stage sidefills), or my Presonus studio monitors and Presonus 10" studio subwoofer. I'll have to try to scrounge up some Genelecs to try out.
Sounds like a great setup for the stage!

I upgraded from a pair of Presonus Eris 3.5's (with recommended monitor & eq settings here) and noted a significant improvement with the Genelec 8010A's. We're talking little monitors in both cases used in a near field setting ( < 1m). Neither have the deep bass but I was still impressed at the Genelecs' low end overall and hadn't been aware of how harsh the Eris's were before hearing something that's really transparent. I've also heard of folks getting pretty good results pairing them with Presonus subs. Happy hunting for a tryout set!

Last edited:
Each of the guitars sounds different. They’re all similar though. I bought the SE first and was blown away by it! That made me want to try the core model. I liked that so much that I got another.

The sound and playability of the SE is very similar to the 2 core models I have. I think the SE sounds a little brighter than my core models but it’s a subtle difference. It definitely holds its own. From what I can tell the SE tremolo works just as good as the core models.

I’m not in a band currently but am playing out at open mics. Right now I feel more comfortable taking the SE out to play in bars, etc… than I do with the cores. I don’t feel like I’m compromising when I play the SE.

Thanks @Markcarl for your great explanation…….Glad to hear that about the SE. FWIW, there will always be a market for the core instruments. I mean they’re 2 years or more for their waiting list. He can only build X amount of cores a year, and doesnt want to expand his company to much. Heck he as 450 employees! And Paul isn’t gittin any younger

Sounds like a great setup for the stage!

I upgraded from a pair of Presonus Eris 3.5's (with recommended monitor & eq settings here) and noted a significant improvement with the Genelec 8010A's. We're talking little monitors in both cases used in a near field setting ( < 1m). Neither have the deep bass but I was still impressed at the Genelecs' low end overall and hadn't been aware of how harsh the Eris's were before hearing something that's really transparent. I've also heard of folks getting pretty good results pairing them with Presonus subs. Happy hunting for a tryout set!
That's wild. I have the larger Eris monitors plus the 10" Presonus Temblor sub. Very comparable to some vintage JBL studio monitors I own. I shopped around a LOT and when the Presonus set was tuned, they make me not feel bad about storing my sweet JBL's!

Might be the larger woofers plus having the subwoofer with the level carefully balanced...

Back