Help needed with SE Hollowbody II Piezo split coil

remmy

Hi all, I am hoping someone might have a suggestion to solve an issue I am having with adding a split coil push pull pot to my SE Hollowbody II Piezo.

I have used the PRS schematic and replaced the volume knob with a CTS push pull pot wired up as per the attached. The split has worked this way but I am getting a small pop noise whenever I touch any metal part of the guitar. I replaced the wiring with braided wire to ensure everything is shielded and am still getting the same result.

Am I missing anything obvious that could remedy it?

Full disclaimer - I know nothing about your specific model, but are sure the two regular pickups are in phase? I had a similar thing happening when I installed 57/08 pickups in my S2... I didn't pay close attention to the wiring diagram and unintentionally had them out of phase. Not sure why, but as soon as I switched the hot wire on the neck pickup, everything worked and sounded as expected.

Sounds like something is grounded incorrectly to me. If you have something grounded incorrectly, it can cause this to happen.

Also, the braided wire has the wire on the inside, with a metal braid on the outside that is used for grounding. If that braid it touching anything it shouldn't, like one of the terminals on the pot, or other exposed "hot" wires, it will ground itself out. Usually if it is touching a "hot" wire though, you don't get any sound.

Good luck in sorting it out!

Back