When I retire...

Sounds good. We've got the wheels already, and Mrs. has a trailer so she doesn't have to ride the whole way. She can pick where she wants to take the bike out.

We were sportbike people then bought an ultra classic 2 years ago.

I really miss the SB performance but my 52 year old body doesn't miss it.

We love riding so I can't wait! Still trying to develop our riding retirement plan though. We have a small trailer we pull behind bike but may trade it for some sort of pop up camper type thing.

Should I be lucky enough to live that long, I'd like to spend my golden years teaching the next generation how to think critically, work efficiently, execute plans on time, within scope, and within the budget, to be skeptical, fiercely self-reliant, honorable, and an unquestionable asset to their country.

THIS is why we need a "love" button...

I'd like to generate a large number of women with regrets. So far, one.

My dad's been retired for 15 years or so - I swear he does more now than when he worked.

My wife says she doesn't think I'll be one of those people who gets bored in retirement. I've got enough books, movies and CDs to keep me busy, along with making music. I've gotten a taste for history, too, so I'd love to travel, especially back to England. Whether it happens or not, who knows.

Me n the wife have been across the pond a few times...amazing history...sounds perfect, Alan.

Should I get the chance to retire in good health and well off enough, I think I'd like to travel - with a guitar and recording device as much as possible. I feel like I get inspired by different surroundings. I rarely have a guitar in the little travel I've done. I think my goal would be to "take more in". I regularly feel I don't spend enough time before rushing to the next thing. That's probably because I feel, when I'm in a new area, I want to see as much as possible because who knows if I'll make it back there.
I had big plans for my retirement. But now having been retired for over 6 years I have to settle for spending my days playing guitars and riding my bicycles. I miss my job.
Your job must have been rewarding! This sounds like a good deal to me.

Last edited:
My ideal retirement would look something like Live from Darryl's House. Set up a cool studio, invite friends over to play great music, (some of their songs, some of mine) eat and hang out for a while...then repeat that every week. Unfortunately I don't have a huge list of A-list musician friends like Darryl...but lots of folks I've played with over the years and maybe some of you all would join me.

My wife loves to travel and learn to cook...she wants to be Anthony Bourdain...so we'd have something good to eat between jams.
I'm in! That sounds awesome.

when I retire.........got to be pick up a private stock for the occasion, complete with led zep T shirt

I plan to keep working paycheck to paycheck until I die of old age with no one to inherit my impressive guitar collection.

My ideal retirement would look something like Live from Darryl's House. Set up a cool studio, invite friends over to play great music, (some of their songs, some of mine) eat and hang out for a while...then repeat that every week. Unfortunately I don't have a huge list of A-list musician friends like Darryl...but lots of folks I've played with over the years and maybe some of you all would join me.

My wife loves to travel and learn to cook...she wants to be Anthony Bourdain...so we'd have something good to eat between jams.
Actually, this is pretty close to what will probably happen, since it already kinda there - we invite our bandmates and musical (and non-musical) friends over to hang out at our place and jam all the time, and both my wife and I love to cook, so we usually prepare something nice if we have the time. So once retired, I could see that lifestyle expanding to fill the time where we now work, plus recording new music and traveling, of course.

It will be without the "famous" musicians one might see on Live from Daryl's House, but many of our friends in the music scene are extremely talented, so it will be our local crop of A-listers...

I'm in with either one of you -- I can comp on keyboards until I get good enough on guitar, and I have a couple recipes that I'm very proud of.

Back