When I retire...

I had big plans for my retirement. But now having been retired for over 6 years I have to settle for spending my days playing guitars and riding my bicycles. I miss my job.
Tiboy's experience played into my plans a bit.

Here's what I did to practice.
- I took a vacation a month for a bit over a year, just to see how time off would feel
- last year I spent a month on the beach before deciding if I would accept a renewal of my contract
- 8 months ago I stopped working - much of what I thought I would do with my time hasn't quite happened. This isn't bad, it's just that there are more things for me to spend time on than I expected. In July I road the Tour de France winning time every day of the tour. Some charity stuff in August...for me the bottom line is that having the time to do what seems worthwhile at any given moment trumps anything I thought I might do.

But today is the first day of a month on the beach. That was enough fun to do again. When I get home I will probably try to build a house.

I'd like to generate a large number of women with regrets. So far, one.

My dad's been retired for 15 years or so - I swear he does more now than when he worked.

My wife says she doesn't think I'll be one of those people who gets bored in retirement. I've got enough books, movies and CDs to keep me busy, along with making music. I've gotten a taste for history, too, so I'd love to travel, especially back to England. Whether it happens or not, who knows.

I'm actually planning to retire within a couple of years. :D
Then we're moving -away- from 'the beach' (soKal). Have hated it here for over 20 years. WAY too crowded, rat race, flakey people, expensive, etc...
Moving to a small mountain town in a 'free' state (AZ???) that has 'real' people, slower pace of life and proper 4 seasons...
Flagstaff?

I'm working at PRS as a Sandler and living in Easton.
Hell, I guess I've been retired for the last 15 years and I didn't even know it!

just turned 52 and have had a pretty good working career and my wife is a V.P. at a bank....after 2008 and we lost a pretty good chunk in our 401K plans and other investments, so we are probably in for 10+ years I would think....but with the markets going at a record pace, maybe we can cut that down some.....I would like to work some at a commercial studio, as I spend a lot of time recording at home now and pretty good production skills and really having a great time with it....it's been a little over a year from our last show and declared my "live band" retirement and have to admit I do miss playing out....but don't miss what it took to keep a gigging band together for 12 years....

I plan on being super grumpy old misanthrope. I already started practicing and I'm making a huge progress.

clerks-hate-people-love-gatherings.jpg

Or as Bill Hicks once said...NSFW

Divorce + 3 kids to put through college
= work until I'm dead
3 divorces + at least one kid
= work until I'm dead, bury me, dig me up, re-animate me, work me until I'm dead again, rinse and repeat.

Sisyphus got nothing on me.

My ideal retirement would look something like Live from Darryl's House. Set up a cool studio, invite friends over to play great music, (some of their songs, some of mine) eat and hang out for a while...then repeat that every week. Unfortunately I don't have a huge list of A-list musician friends like Darryl...but lots of folks I've played with over the years and maybe some of you all would join me.

My wife loves to travel and learn to cook...she wants to be Anthony Bourdain...so we'd have something good to eat between jams.

My ideal retirement would look something like Live from Darryl's House. Set up a cool studio, invite friends over to play great music, (some of their songs, some of mine) eat and hang out for a while...then repeat that every week. Unfortunately I don't have a huge list of A-list musician friends like Darryl...but lots of folks I've played with over the years and maybe some of you all would join me.

My wife loves to travel and learn to cook...she wants to be Anthony Bourdain...so we'd have something good to eat between jams.

I could get behind this retirement!

I'm 52 now but do plan to retire at 65. Our house will be payed off soon and our rental houses will be payed off at retirement age. If my retirement funds do well my wife and I will ride our motorcycle till our asses fall off and not care about too much.

I want my wife to see this country on two wheels.

My cell will be shut off 90% of the time and I will ignore it the remaining 10.

I want to try every micro brewed beer in this country and eat like kings.

I want to learn to fly in the next few years and own part of a plane as well

The rest I'll figure out as I go.

Back