When I retire...

Shawn@PRS

yogi
I'm moving to the beach to open up a rock & roll themed dive bar. I'm going to call it "Bias Jack's".
I've already made the sign.

What are your plans for retirement?
bias jack's.jpg

Retirement? I doubt that I will ever retire unless forced to by my wife. Slow down maybe but never 100%.

I'm an electronics tech. By day I go out into the field and fix things. When I get home, I enjoy modding, building, and repairing stuff for fun or profit. And my hobbies are all electronic based (music, Amateur radio, RC stuff, computers and networking, etc).

Although, one day I might open my own shop and stop working for other people....

I'm actually planning to retire within a couple of years. :D
Then we're moving -away- from 'the beach' (soKal). Have hated it here for over 20 years. WAY too crowded, rat race, flakey people, expensive, etc...
Moving to a small mountain town in a 'free' state (AZ???) that has 'real' people, slower pace of life and proper 4 seasons...

Should I be lucky enough to live that long, I'd like to spend my golden years teaching the next generation how to think critically, work efficiently, execute plans on time, within scope, and within the budget, to be skeptical, fiercely self-reliant, honorable, and an unquestionable asset to their country.

6 years to 1/2 time. 11 years to full retirement. If we stick to the plan... But who's counting?!?!?!?

-Play guitar enough to get as good as I really want to be. Probably join a band.
-Build a Factory Five Roadster in my garage.
-Take factory delivery of another Porsche. This time, have the time to spend 1-2 months touring through Europe.
-Travel the world more extensively with my wife.
-Move to the middle of nowhere with acreage and a farm as well as horses. (Horses for my wife)

Kevin

I've never thought I'd retire. I don't really expect Social Security to make it another 15 years. So I'll work until I can't and the kids will give me a bedroom after that. And I really am an optimist in real life...o_O

I'm 55. considering my father died at 58, his 2 brothers at 32 and 40, and my only blood uncle on my mom's side at 64, I've already outlived the average age of 48.5. so I doubt I'll be seeing retirement!

Really haven't thought about it seriously. Want to retire at a point where I can still enjoy life, play music, and ride my bike. But it's still a long way away. Ultimate goal once was getting 40 years in at one place. Not sure it's realistic anymore.

What are your plans for retirement?

I made my living playing video games for roughly 8 years after college. That was my retirement. This was well before streaming was thing. Machines and bandwidth would have been extreme bottlenecks in those days.

I'd love to say sit on the beach with an acoustic guitar, strumming away while sipping margaritas, ala Jimmy Buffet. But, I don't think that's me. Maybe for a couple of months out of the year. I've always been interested in history, specifically Civil War and WWII (dad was stationed in North Africa and Italy from '42 to '45). A trip to Gettysburg and Antietam last year really struck a chord with me. It was a powerful, moving experience. The sacrifices previous generations have made, and all that. I think I'd like to spend my golden years imparting that knowledge on the youth of our country. I've also a huge respect for all those that have served. I wouldn't mind being involved with a Veterans organization. I should actually be doing that before I retire.....like tomorrow!

My wife says once the kid is on her own, we're selling most of our stuff and semi-retiring in Belize.

My part of the dream has me owning a Private Stock, my Cole Clark acoustic, a nice little amp and that's about it, working part time somewhere to get out of the house and spending evenings with a guitar in my lap.

Back