What style of music do you wish you could play, and what are you doing about it?

sergiodeblanc

Man, I wanna be a Flamenco but I suck at it. I got the guitar, the frilly shirt, and even some heeled boots, but I got zero skills.. Okay, maybe .07 skills...

I am going to make an effort to pick up my guitar once a week and work through a few Youtube videos. I figure if I put a little effort into it I should be able to get to the point where I will be able to bust out a rasgueado by the time I hit 50, which will be perfect 'cause that's about the only time and style "shredding" will be age appropriate.

How about you? What do you wish you could play, and what are you gonna do about it?

The Wish - To play Classical guitar & to finally learn to read sheet music ('cause playing by ear gets harder each year)

What I'm doin' about it - Started lessons a couple weeks ago, growing right hand nails, bought a $100 starter Classical guitar, and that little foot stool thingie. Now just practicing practicing practicing.

Flamenco would be good.
I have a good classical, which should be a head start but I don't want to lower the action to facilitate some of the percussive stuff that seems to go with flamenco.

If I can find the music for some, I'll just give it a go and see if I can justify a flamenco Blanca I've lusted after for a while.

Snow/Ice Storm + Power Outage = Practice by Candelabra!

Disclaimer: As of this time, neither the forecast snow/ice storm has started, nor power actually gone out, but proper planning is crucial to success

Snow/Ice Storm + Power Outage = Practice by Candelabra!

Disclaimer: As of this time, neither the forecast snow/ice storm has started, nor power actually gone out, but proper planning is crucial to success

God, I hope there will be pics of said Candelabra.

Jazz, you know, reading charts, playing all those weird (more than 2 finger) chords, soloing over changes, that sort of stuff.

What am I doing about it? Not much!

Flatpicking/bluegrass. Bought a few books last year, hardly cracked them. Time to get in the shed.

Slide... Like Derek Trucks, but would happily settle for just being able to play much better than I do today with greater freedom and more creativity.

so not much then!

Not a particular style, but I'd like to be able to play everything I hear in my heart and mind without any delay. Some players make it all look so effortless, but I'm not there yet. (I'm sure they have their struggles too; it's just that they have them out of the spotlight.) I work on my playing every day that I'm able to do so.

Lloyd

Jazz. Not that unfeeling type either, but that Jeff Golub Soul full Jazz.

What am I doing about it? Practice Practice and more practice. Learning modes vertically right now. Will be transitioning to learning modes horizontally in the next couple weeks. Then blending both horizontal and verticle as I find it easier to be musical that this way.

Blues and blues rock.

Since I'm back to a point where I'm kind of "starting over", I've been trying really hard to forget my old bad habits, so I've actually been concentrating on my form, picking, and all the basic fundamentals I just kind of ignored when I started playing. Tabs have also made me extremely lazy with sheet music, and although i know how to read sheet music, I don't actually know the notes on the fret board, so I've been attempting to ignore tabs and reading the music instead. For the past few days I've only been working on gaining my strength back in my hand and fingers, lol, I can barely use my ring and pinky finger anymore, but I've been making good progress with the varigrip :)

Not specifically a style, but I have been a Rhythm player basically since I started playing guitar. I'd like to be able not only to play lead lines but write them, so I suppose its just a general increase in my abilities. What am I doing about that? I purchased and have been working though Frank Gambalie's Chop Builder. Its more of a work out but its really been pushing me to re-train my alternate picking (as opposed to strumming on acoustic) and also move around the fretboard. Once I master the entire instructional video it will have also forced me to learn all the different scale shapes and modes which have been an issue for me in the past.

I started in January, and hope to at least complete the whole workout (a lot of exercises to commit to memory) by the end of the year. It may take until the end of next year to "master" it though :/.

I would love to chicken pick like brad paisley. That dude is Eddie van halen on cornbread!
I bought a tele and a Wampler Paisley drive , that is the closest i have come to doing anything about it lol

Tabs have also made me extremely lazy with sheet music, and although i know how to read sheet music, I don't actually know the notes on the fret board, so I've been attempting to ignore tabs and reading the music instead.

Back