What pedals do you use?

Uploaded some videos today and made me miss how much I loved having a fuzz pedal on any boards (I have multiple fuzz pedals and none of them are on my boards).

So maybe I'll make room for one on each board at some point. Or maybe even find a couple mini fuzz pedals. I feel like fuzz pedals never fail to inspire me to be creative!

I’m a home player so use only a Boss ME90 coupled up with Logic Pro and a couple of Nueral DSP archetypes.

You misinterpreted... I'm not talking about the AMP's response to pedals, I'm talking about MY RESPONSE to this thread LOL.

For example, when I use my tele into my Swart, I often use a Hot Cake. But there is no PRS involved, so I didn't mention it. I limited my response to PRS only.
But... I'd love to hear more about Swart, and Paul loves the Hot Cake, so... talk away!

I'm just playing at home, and I always want a lil bit of this & then a lil bit of that.... so, I built a big one. Surprisingly quiet too, thanks to the TrueTone CS12's.

0AUIXfE.jpeg

I'm just playing at home, and I always want a lil bit of this & then a lil bit of that.... so, I built a big one. Surprisingly quiet too, thanks to the TrueTone CS12's.

0AUIXfE.jpeg
That Angry Fuzz in the original Visual Sound casing is the most impressive thing there. I miss the old VS days, well done!

But... I'd love to hear more about Swart, and Paul loves the Hot Cake, so... talk away!

The AST is a modded 5E3. Tighter bass response, a little more headroom maybe? With a 5Y3 in the rectifier it's more 5E3-ish. It looks like a tweed, but it's tone is somewhere between tweed and blackface; more like the brown amps I imagine (I never played one), The GregV soundlcips on the Swart site are EXACTLY what it sounds like. So basically a 5E3 with reverb and tremolo.

The Hot Cake is the most "sounds like a cranked amp" (tweed amp anyway) I've ever owned, and I must've had over 100 overdrives at this point. Paired with the Swart, it sound like the Swart cranked up (it can be dirtier than the Swart of course), but it's got that rough "cranked amp" tone, not the smoother overdrive most OD pedals produce (and I love them too... but: I think some ODs pair better with some amps, and sometimes you don't want "cranked amp" overdrive, you want pedal overdrive (especially if you're trying to get certain tones you've heard on recordings over the years.)

HELL YEAH!!! That's a real pedal board!! It still has two too many for me, but having an "overloaded" board looks more badass to the crowd and rival guitarists in the other area bands!!

😆
Not honna lie, kinda makes me kinda step back and think "What do I look like to the outside when I bring a huge ass pedalboard?" I know there's alot of jealousy within the church which causes snide remarks, hell I'm not naming anyone but even a couple members here LOL

The thing is that I don't buy them to make anyone happy or look cool, I buy them to use and build sounds, to further help my sound evolve. While I love running straight from a guitar to a good tube amp, it's after I've spent enough time with that amp that I can begin to build and experiment. To learn what that amp likes and doesn't like.

HELL YEAH!!! That's a real pedal board!! It still has two too many for me, but having an "overloaded" board looks more badass to the crowd and rival guitarists in the other area bands!!

😆

I actually dream of just a tuner for my "pedalboard"; a tuner and a cable. The amp must at least have reverb. And be able to be cranked up, at home, for dirt- but not too loud at that point. I think of Jim Campilongo (runs his Princeton on 10), Duke Levine, and Tab Benoit (altho he's a live only player: he has a Super and a Twin and runs them WAY up. But that dude doesn't even run a tuner. He tunes to his bass player. Pure badass.

Right now, at home, the closest I have gotten is my Swart AST (reverb and tremolo) and a Hot Cake overdrive (because the Swart gets pretty loud for home use when cranked up)

Anyway, came across this and a compressor with a germanium/silicon transistor boost really appeals to me. I have no need for it but it seems like a great pedal to kill 2 birds with one stone

That pedal sounds really good! Nice find.

I decided today would be a good time to set up the pedals for one amp, the DG30, and one guitar, the DGT. So I set up a chair in front of the pedalboard, plugged in, and got going at a pretty good (for me) recording volume.

I figured I'd do the thing that the guys on That Pedal Show do, you know, mess with all the controls and see what sounds best.

Here's how boring I am:

In the end, I wound up dialing in very small changes. Yes, knobs were turned and switches were switched, but if I took a before and after photo you'd be hard-pressed to see a difference.

It all came down to very small details. I felt it was a worthwhile exercise, but I seem to be pretty consistent. The most important change was dialing in more Germanium diode on my medium gain pedal (thus less silicon diode, they can be blended), cutting less bass, and pulling the high frequencies back a little to accommodate the DGT's tone balance on several of the pedals.

Edit: I also dialed a bit more compression in on the compressor - just for grins, really, it sounds good either setting.

Last edited:
Back