What is Goldtop listening to?

Discussion in 'Artists & Music' started by james, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Goldtop

Goldtop A Top (and Heart) of Gold

Mr. Charley Pride and "Does My Ring Hurt Your Finger?".

Goldtop

ScottR likes this.
  2. Goldtop

Mr. Berry Live (sort of). In my opinion, if you want a definition of American Rock & Roll, here it is. Look at the girls... Most of them get it, and the ones who don't don't matter. God Bless America!

"Back in The U.S.A."

Goldtop LPC - Proud American

jxe and ScottR like this.
  3. alantig

alantig Sassyless pants

It was 36 years ago today that Randy Rhoads died in a stupid accident in Florida. I saw that tour a month before that - I wish I remembered more about it. Rhoads was a HUGE influence on my playing in the 80s (not that you could really tell). Hard to believe he's been dead over a decade longer than he was alive. The first two Ozzy solo albums are such classics. It's been said that he wanted to leave the Ozzy organization - I wonder what he'd have done if he'd been able to do more.

One of my favorites to play...

And another...

But this is my absolute favorite to play.

Credit where it's due - I did learn a lot of the arrangements and rhythm parts from a radio broadcast from Memphis with Brad Gillis in the band. What a hard position he must have been in, but he handled it with grace and style.

One more story related to that tape - I have a copy I recorded and a copy that my buddy's friend made. This guy had a great stereo system. We ran into him at a bar one night, and one of the guys with us got busted for having a fake ID. We decided to to leave, and my buddy asked his friend if we could go to his house and play the stereo. He said, "Yeah, but don't turn it up. I'm tired of taking sh!t from my neighbors." My buddy said okay, and this guy grabbed his arm and said, "I'm serious. I don't need any more trouble with them. Keep it low." (Oh, some of the stories I've heard about this guy! Sadly, he died a few years later.)

So, we go to the house, we're pulling out records and listening to them, but at a respectful volume. About three hours later, somewhere close to midnight, he comes home, and he is lit up. He comes in the living room, looks at us and says, "What the #&@ is this @&(@?" I think we had an old Stones record on. One of us said, "Hey, we did what you said, we kept the volume down so we wouldn't get you in trouble with the neighbors." He said, "@**^ my neighbors! Where's my Ozzy tape?" Grabbed the Ozzy tape, slapped it in the cassette deck, turned the volume up to about eleventyseven, turned around and screamed, "LET ME SEE YOUR #&)@&ING HANDS!" He actually wrote that on the tape case when he made me a copy. He was a wild man, but I kind of wish I'd gotten to know him a little more. My buddy still misses him dearly, and still goes to the cemetery every year to leave him a beer.

jxe, bodia, Alnus Rubra and 2 others like this.
  4. Goldtop

Charley Pride and "Wonder Could I Live There Anymore".

Goldtop Lloyd

ScottR likes this.
  5. Goldtop

Alan,

Thirty-six years. It doesn't seem that long ago to me, but it has to be.

I saw Ozzy with Randy a month or so before the accident, and it was incredible. Randy was one of the most precise, disciplined players I've ever seen. And then, I caught Ozzy again just a couple of weeks after they brought in Brad Gillis. It was easy to see that Ozzy was having a hard time with it all. He had such a sad, lost look in his eyes, but he and the whole band gave it all they had and I thought they were great. I was so impressed by Brad. I kept thinking how it must have felt to be in his position. Those two gigs have stayed with me all these years.

Goldtop Lloyd

jxe, bodia, Alnus Rubra and 1 other person like this.
  6. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

These 3 songs take me back to circa ‘85, a holiday with my best friend to Wales.

These songs rang out of the “ghetto blaster” as we fished a Lake Bala, along side Meat Loaf and Status Quo!

My friend wasn’t a great Ozzy fan, but he stuck with me as I was totally hypnotised by RR’s playing!

Another friend cracked a joke that “Goodbye to Romance” was written when Ozzy got married to Sharon! Harsh!!

jxe likes this.
  7. Goldtop

Tuesday in the wee hours. No sleep tonight. Hopefully everybody had a good Monday.

I'm listening to some Adele, so how about an Adele "T-O-O-T"? "Rolling in The Deep".

A nifty version by some members of The U.S.A.F.! USA! USA! USA!

Adele and some of her band in a radio station somewhere. The Netherlands maybe? A girl in gloves? Yum. (Unless they're latex, that is.)

Goldtop

Alnus Rubra likes this.
  8. Goldtop

The Kinks and "Livin' On a Thin Line". Whoa! Until I watched this video, I had completely forgotten that this tune had been used in The Sopranos. I forgoddaboudit ovah here!

Goldtop

9. Goldtop

Tuesday and I'm having a ton of pain today. My advice to everyone is never get old(er) and banged up because it stinks.

Ahhh, here we are. A little Zep should help things get better. "Ramble On". Now's the time - the time is now.

Goldtop

ScottR likes this.
  10. Goldtop

And if Led Zeppelin can't help me, then I know Dread Zeppelin can! Charlie Haj on towels and water.

"Good Times Bad Times".

Goldtop

ScottR likes this.
  11. alantig

alantig Sassyless pants

Charlie Hodge, the man who brings me my scarves and water, Charlie Hodge.

NSFW...

ScottR likes this.
  12. Alnus Rubra

Listened to this one for the “song title” thread.

Kossoff was such a talented young guitarist!
    Couple that with PR’s vocals and the rest of the band!

ScottR, Goldtop and bodia like this.
  13. Goldtop

Alright, Friday night at last. Not an easy week, but now it's over and I'm happy.

Dude No. 1 - 'I know! Let's call it The Funk Railroad!'

Dude No. 2 - 'Far out! What a Grand idea!'

Grand Funk Railroad and "American Band".

Goldtop Lloyd

'We're comin' to your town; We'll take your pan....'. Nevermind

bodia, ScottR and Alnus Rubra like this.
  14. Goldtop

Whoa, remember this one? Here's a "T-O-O-T" of "Popcorn".

The Hot Butter version.

A Heavy Metal version by Charlie Parra. Bueno!

Goldtop

ScottR and Alnus Rubra like this.
  15. Goldtop

Danny O'Keefe doing "Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues".

Goldtop Lloyd

16. Goldtop

Tommy Overstreet and "That's Where My Woman Begins".

Goldtop

ScottR likes this.
  17. Goldtop

A tap dancing flight attendant and some boogie woogie piano. What's not to like?

Goldtop

ScottR likes this.
  18. Goldtop

There are not enough words for how much respect, admiration, and just plain love & affection I have for this lady. What I'd give to meet Dolly Parton. The songs she's written, the kindness she's shown other artists like Porter Wagoner, George Jones, etc., the charity work she's done by getting over 100 million (!) books into the hands of children (check out her Imagination Library), her American Eagle Foundation (a sanctuary for bald eagles), all the jobs she provides at Dollywood... She is amazing.

This video is of her on vacation in Ireland. Gracious, polite, giving... That's Dolly. I love her.

"Could Only Happen in Ireland".

Goldtop Lloyd

Alnus Rubra and ScottR like this.
  19. Goldtop

This is Thom Schuyler telling it like it is on "16th Avenue" in Nashville.

Goldtop LPC

ScottR likes this.
  20. Alnus Rubra

Another “song title” -

And a little PRS content too! HL playing the SDB signature “Gold Top” model!:D

ScottR likes this.