What happened to the SC 250?

BTW, I am gigging with my SC (my avatar guitar). I put an adjustable stoptail on it like an SC250, and BKP Cold Sweats. It is great for a wide array of styles, and plays and feels fantastic. Looks pretty good, too :)

The tremonti pickups are hot! As in, bridge pickup breaks up my Archon clean channel hot! I have honestly considered replacing them but am unsure of which route to go. I really love my 59/09s but want to keep the guitars sounding different. Maybe something from PRS that can coil tap?

From your description

" I'd have to actually play and hear them. I need a pickup that can clean up like a Strat, pull off a Les Paul when needed, but that I can strum hard. The strumming hard (clean) seems to be where it's hard to find the pickup which works."

You should definitely consider And investigate, the singlecut 594 Although the scale is 24.6 inch, with the 5815LT Pickups, The single coil tones, are in my opinion better than my Stratocaster, It feels like a cross between Stratocaster telecaster and the Les Paul all-in-one. If you like any of John Mayer playing styles he considers at one of the best guitars is picked up. Check it out. Oh by the way I love Pearly Gates as well. I would say this guitars just slightly cleaner than a Pearly Gates.

Good luck

Chuck Levin's also has a bunch of NOS Semihollow Singlecuts (25" scale, without f-holes) which I would have bought if things were a little bit different right now...

The pickups are almost exactly the same between the two.

I nearly went for a set of Tremonti pickups on ebay for my SE Tremonti but the hotness of the bridge put me off. I would like a modern soudnign pickup for the bridge but it would need to clean up nicely. I noticed the 250's on the PRS website but they state that the 250 Treble has an Alnico magnet while the Tremonti Treble is "custom" - so how different are they?

I'm also enamored of the 25" scale but would like to get a 2v 2t singlecut. The prices out there on the SC 250s are really reasonable! I am so tempted to get one of these and put something like a set of Wolfetone Caretakers in. Of course, I would love to put 58/15s in, but I may be waiting a while for that particular "never" to turn into "never say never." ;-)

Since I have currently become something I typically loathe.. a fanboy :D of the S2 Singlecut to be particular, I've been checking out what else is in the higher range of things.

To my astonishment there is not the equivalent in the core lineup. Am I missing it somewhere?

The 25" 22 fret combo is just amazing, as is the overall tone, fit, and feel, of my guitar, the only thing I'd love to see is a Bigsby or PRS Trem option.

So what happened to the SC250? Having listened to some demo's now, it seems like it was as versatile tonally as my S2... just purtier.

Any idea if PRS plans to bring them back? Would love to see that satin finish, especially a satin neck like the ZM SE.

~C

PRSSC250WB3.jpg

HAHAHA, you posted a pic of my guitar!!! I love my SC250. It is quite amazing - just different enough from my SC245 to be a valuable addition to the herd!! This particular 250 is pretty straight forward - no coil splits - just straight up humbucker tone. The SC250 pickups were too hot for what I like to play, so I installed Seymour Duncan Saturday Night Special pickups. I have the originals boxed in the case. The tone is VERY greasy and classic rock. Now that the 57/08s are available, I may order a set for this guitar - I just have to get around the whole gold hardware thing....

SC250_zpsmonfznpm.jpg

I tried a 594 dc and sc and my hand was not liking the feel of the neck.
I decided to order a ps SC250 with 594 appointments for pickups and wiring, bridge style, and a pattern neck.
My dealer was at the vault last week, but I didn't care for the quilt I was shown, so I will wait until his next trip to see if we can get what I want.

But I found that the 250 SC was the most comfortable PRS for me.

I nearly went for a set of Tremonti pickups on ebay for my SE Tremonti but the hotness of the bridge put me off. I would like a modern soudnign pickup for the bridge but it would need to clean up nicely. I noticed the 250's on the PRS website but they state that the 250 Treble has an Alnico magnet while the Tremonti Treble is "custom" - so how different are they?

The tremonti bridge really doesn't clean up, even on an Archon clean channel. And when you turn down the guitar volume they are VERY thin sounding. BUT you can go to middle position and the neck pickup very much tames and fattens it, so I think that was the drive between that pairing.

I don't know what differences exist in the construction of the Tremonti vs. SC250, if any. I don't think it matters, either. They are very close. Not sure you would be able to tell the difference.

Back