The S/N and 10 is fading from the back of my headstock, has this happened to anyone else?

GlockandRoll

My Custom 22 Soapbar was made in 2001 and the serial # has faded to the point where it is barely visible.
I'll never sell this guitar, even though I once considered it, and am fine with it the way it is, but wondered if this had happened to any of you and if you had taken a sharpie or paint pen and touched it up, redrew it, and if so, what kind of pen did you use?

My oldest PRS are 5 years newer than yours. I haven't noticed any of mine fading. I would be careful touching it up. If you ever did try to sell it a prospective buyer may think it has been messed with. The serial number should also be in one of the pickup cavities. It may also have the 10 top marking in there. If you still have the hang tag that would tie it all together.

I am not sure what type of paint pen they use on those. I haven't really inspected them but they may be under some amount of finish.

EDIT:
I just looked at my CU22 since I have it out. It looks like the writing may have faded a bit. I am looking at it compared to a new guitar I bought last year. It is still very readable but I can see more of the stain color through it than I think I could when it was new. Both of these guitars have red stained backs with gold writing on them.

Yeah, I was pretty surprised to see it.
I wonder if PRS support would help out.

Personally, I don't mind because I'm not selling it and know the S/N, I've just never seen it happen before.

Oh, wow, what year did they stop writing the serial in the trem cavity as well? My '91 has it, but my next newer one (that has a trem) doesn't.

How much are you guys cleaning/polishing these guitars?

IMO, the bodies and headstock need very little cleaning. Mostly just the fretboard and back of the neck need it.

I prefer to touch (clean/polish) the finish as little as possible due to stuff like this. Guitars, especially nitro guitars, can be over cleaned. JMO, IME, YMMV.

How much are you guys cleaning/polishing these guitars?

IMO, the bodies and headstock need very little cleaning. Mostly just the fretboard and back of the neck need it.

I prefer to touch (clean/polish) the finish as little as possible due to stuff like this. Guitars, especially nitro guitars, can be over cleaned. JMO, IME, YMMV.
I rarely clean the back of the headstock on mine. The SN is put on before the last layer of finish from my understanding so wiping across it shouldn't remove it.

I rarely clean the back of the headstock on mine. The SN is put on before the last layer of finish from my understanding so wiping across it shouldn't remove it.
Yeah- mine looks like it’s under at least a thin layer of finish…

Back