What happened to the SC 250?

bigcohoona

big~C
Since I have currently become something I typically loathe.. a fanboy :D of the S2 Singlecut to be particular, I've been checking out what else is in the higher range of things.

To my astonishment there is not the equivalent in the core lineup. Am I missing it somewhere?

The 25" 22 fret combo is just amazing, as is the overall tone, fit, and feel, of my guitar, the only thing I'd love to see is a Bigsby or PRS Trem option.

So what happened to the SC250? Having listened to some demo's now, it seems like it was as versatile tonally as my S2... just purtier.

Any idea if PRS plans to bring them back? Would love to see that satin finish, especially a satin neck like the ZM SE.

~C

PRSSC250WB3.jpg

I'm almost certain the Tremonti Sig model is your answer for a 25" scale SC, but with different pups. You can option for the same adjustable stoptail, found on the SC250, for no additional charge since 2014.

It would be nice to have someone wiser than myself verify these things, but I think that's accurate.

Yep, that is the next core I want, but I will take a Tremonti adjustable stoptail instead.
Too bad the SC250 was discontinued from the regular core line.

Thanks for the feedback...

What are the differences between the 2? I'm loving the #7 pups in my S2, are the Tremonti's in the same ballpark or hotter? I may have to scout out for a used one :D

You can still get them in the UK, not cheap though, are you saying they've stopped production in the US?

Last edited:
If there are any left in the UK they are several years old minimum... it hasn't been in the catalogue for a while now.

As PRSh says - "if you guys stop buying 'em, we stop makin' em."

Big C -

I had a Tremonti for a brief spell a couple years back - if my memory serves, those pickups are definitely hotter than the #7's...at least the bridge was. I have some S2's with #7's and don't find them particularly hot. Matter of fact, I'm now thinking of taking the #7's out of my Singlecut and replacing with 57/08's maybe because I realized last night trying out my new Archon that (IMO) the #7's aren't as...I guess "transparent" for lack of a better description...as the better Core-line pickups. I could roll the volume of my Core guitars down and it'd clean up pretty well even with the Lead channel volume up pretty good. The #7's didn't do that anywhere near as well. I do seem to like the #7's in my 22 Semi-Hollow better than the Singlecut.

Can we get "zebra" squabbins from PRS now?!? I'd love some zebra 57/08's in my Stripped 58 and then put it's pups in my Singlecut!

If there are any left in the UK they are several years old minimum... it hasn't been in the catalogue for a while now.

As PRSh says - "if you guys stop buying 'em, we stop makin' em."

I think the SC250 was available last year with the artist package options.

I had a Tremonti for a brief spell a couple years back - if my memory serves, those pickups are definitely hotter than the #7's...at least the bridge was. I have some S2's with #7's and don't find them particularly hot. Matter of fact, I'm now thinking of taking the #7's out of my Singlecut and replacing with 57/08's maybe because I realized last night trying out my new Archon that (IMO) the #7's aren't as...I guess "transparent" for lack of a better description...as the better Core-line pickups. I could roll the volume of my Core guitars down and it'd clean up pretty well even with the Lead channel volume up pretty good. The #7's didn't do that anywhere near as well. I do seem to like the #7's in my 22 Semi-Hollow better than the Singlecut.

I'd have to actually play and hear them. I need a pickup that can clean up like a Strat, pull off a Les Paul when needed, but that I can strum hard. The strumming hard (clean) seems to be where it's hard to find the pickup which works. The #7's are doing the trick for me now but I've never laid hands on a core yet. Strats are still my favorite strummer but my S2SC in the HS position is as good or better than any pearly gates inmho. I'm curious now as to their overall transparency... of course your amp can make a difference in that as well, I'm using Fender/Vox.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I'd love to see PRS expand their S2 line maybe to include more core options. AAA Maple Top (xtra $200), Bigsby (xtra $75), V12 finish (xtra $???). I think it would sell very well for them. PRS seems to have a good handle on what is wise to continue, to kill, and grow, and most importantly, when to do it. :D

I've been really impressed with this company. Made my summer fun!
This seems strange to me now but the shape of their headstock also drove me away, lol. I just thought all their guitars were purely for shredders & metal, and I am more of The Edge meets Dave Bainbridge in stylistic approach.

(Dave Bainbridge is from the Band Iona which has done an amazing job of blending Celtic and modern modes/techniques... here's a great example, Dave starts in around 2:15. https://youtu.be/wRVZrvbOEMU)

The SC250 pickups were hotter than #7's. 250's are very close to being Tremonti pickups(I've heard they were the same, but can't verify). So essentially the only difference between the SC250 and Tremonti stoptail are pattern and pattern thin necks. If you can get past the neck thing, just put a different truss rod cover on if you don't want Mark's name on it. Or shop the used/NOS market.

Chuck Levin's has NOS SC 250 for a good price but it's got an opaque top (and racing strips!)

http://www.chucklevins.com/products/paul-reed-smith-9152627-sc-250-red-w-racing-stripes.html

Edit: Found a few more at Chuck's but these are listed as single cuts. Not sure all the differences between the single cut and the SC250.
http://www.chucklevins.com/products/paul-reed-smith-7118017-singlecut-blue-matteo.html
and
http://www.chucklevins.com/products/paul-reed-smith-7118017-singlecut-blue-matteo.html

The blue one said it was a 25" scale, the artist pack didn't specify so it might be a 245 but both say they have the #7 pups..

Last edited:
Chuck Levin's has NOS SC 250 for a good price but it's got an opaque top (and racing strips!)

Edit: Found a few more at Chuck's but these are listed as single cuts. Not sure all the differences between the single cut and the SC250.

The Singlecut was the original model, then some time after the Gibson lawsuit got dropped, PRS split the line into the SC245 and SC250. The SC250 was pretty much the earlier singlecut with hotter pickups, adjustable stoptail and locking tuners, aimed at modern rock/metal. The SC245 was the more vintage offering, with a shorter 24.5" scale length, kluson-style tuners, non-adjustable stoptail, and more "vintage" SC245 pickups. The SC250 wasn't a great seller and didn't last long; the SC245 lingered somewhat longer in the lineup, then disappeared and was resurrected in the likeness of the SC58.

The Singlecut was the original model, then some time after the Gibson lawsuit got dropped, PRS split the line into the SC245 and SC250. The SC250 was pretty much the earlier singlecut with hotter pickups, adjustable stoptail and locking tuners, aimed at modern rock/metal. The SC245 was the more vintage offering, with a shorter 24.5" scale length, kluson-style tuners, non-adjustable stoptail, and more "vintage" SC245 pickups. The SC250 wasn't a great seller and didn't last long; the SC245 lingered somewhat longer in the lineup, then disappeared and was resurrected in the likeness of the SC58.

Thanks everyone for the history lessons!

I'm def. sold on the 25" scale. If they brought in a 255 that would be fine as well, but the 245 throws me off to much and is one of the reasons I never really enjoyed playing my LP. Loved the tone though!

That would be a cool experiment, an SC255 with Bigsby... I'd love to be a beta tester, lol! (Maple Fretboard).

:)

The SC250 pickups were hotter than #7's. 250's are very close to being Tremonti pickups(I've heard they were the same, but can't verify). So essentially the only difference between the SC250 and Tremonti stoptail are pattern and pattern thin necks. If you can get past the neck thing, just put a different truss rod cover on if you don't want Mark's name on it. Or shop the used/NOS market.

I believe also that the other difference is that the SC250 was built with weight relief holes in the mahogany body and the Tremonti stoptail is solid mahogany.

I believe also that the other difference is that the SC250 was built with weight relief holes in the mahogany body and the Tremonti stoptail is solid mahogany.
Ahh, good call. Forgot about that. I always wonder if my 2007 AP SC is weight relieved. I don't wonder enough to find an X-ray machine though. Doesn't matter, either way it's the best sounding guitar I've owned.

It's easily the best guitar I have ever played for me.

I am seriously considering a second, which is going to... ahem... take some time and work..

This is accurate. I put SC250 pickups and a stoptail on an old 25" SC and effectively made my own SC250. I also have a Tremonti. The only difference between the two was the thinner neck and Trem on the Tremonti. The pickups are almost exactly the same between the two.

I recommend getting a used SC or Tremonti (there are tons out there and not too expensive) and putting in lower output pickups. The Tremonti/SC250 bridge pickups are outlandishly bright and high output. I love them for downtuning, but they sound horrible to my ear at standard pitch. And coil-tapping the bridge is meh.

Back