What Else Are You Into? Let's Talk

I hike just over 9k daily at beautiful Campbell Valley Park near my home, then I come home and lift weights. Those are the only two daily obligations I put on myself now that I am retired. I also play drop-in hockey. Arthritis is a little too bad to play in a league, sadly.

I work on guitars. I do my own setups, soldering, fret levelling/polishing etc. I can do most superficial stuff. Not to the fret replacing level or beyond though.

I have a friend who is "on the spectrum" and was crippled in a serious car accident in Mo. in the 80s. He has a lot of health issues as well and is socially awkward. He likes to do food reviews online so I go into Vancouver and take him out for lunch every week to help add structure to his routine and give him something to do. I also take him to all of his medical procedures because he doesn't drive since his accident. Not a hobby per se but something I spend a lot of time doing.

I love cats. I used to have four, but sadly I am down to one and too old to get a kitten. I might start fostering.

The times when I am not working on guitar I hang around with my wife. I have been married to her for 42 years this July and she is still my best friend...although I am not sure if I am hers.

I also have a serious mocha habit. I go to Starbucks at least once a day. lol
You Are A Good Man!

Other than playing guitar and singing, riding and racing motorcycles, practicing and teaching martial arts, hunting and fishing, recreational off roading in my SxS, house repairs and yard maintenance, golfing, watching TV, scuba diving, and volunteering/helping others, not a whole lot of anything...I'm retired and living the dream. 😆
I am wanting to take a self defence course because you just never know. What kind of defence lessons would recommend for me?

When I am downtown I do see really sketchy ppl and have had to put up with really aggressive crack heads trying to panhandle. It would be nice to know that I could defend myself if necessary.

I like speed
Cars, Motorcycles, Boats
This is the car I Have owned since I was 17 (1976)

1966 Dodge Charger
Wy1KXZp.jpg

My son making a pass at the local drag strip
I love the first gen Chargers! My oldest brother had a silver '66 with red interior, 383 4spd with 3.48 posi. Stupid fast but not so great 1/4 miler. My '69 Dart 340 was quicker.

I am wanting to take a self defence course because you just never know. What kind of defence lessons would recommend for me?

When I am downtown I do see really sketchy ppl and have had to put up with really aggressive crack heads trying to panhandle. It would be nice to know that I could defend myself if necessary.
Any self-defense class is a beneficial one. But from my experience in almost a lifetime of martial arts, for practicality reasons judo or jiu-jitsu (BJJ or Japanese) is likely your best and most effective structured form of training. Simply because practically all physical encounters end up in some form of grab, hold, or ground situation. My prime background is karate and kung-fu and I'm not a lightweight youngster anymore so I prefer the striking arts for my own body condition. But I'm also an instructor in judo and aikido so I'm quite comfortable in most any situation. Not that I care to ever be in that mode of operation. Obviously for anyone (male or female) the best defense is situational awareness and not actually being in that situation. But out there s**t happens so you need to be constantly on guard for your personal (and family) safety. Sadly, criminal elements are not bound by rules and legalities (licenses) so you need to be prepared to inflict as much painful deterrent and physical damage as you can as quickly and efficiently as possible. Screw the legal system, this is your life and personal safety at stake here. Plus there are obvious health and physical benefits to training.
Carrying a weapon isn't always beneficial either, unless you are fully trained and both capable and willing to use it. Plus, if you lose a weapon to an attacker, you can be 100% certain the possibility of it being used against you is very real.

I can’t carry anything. This Canada.
That Is Why You Conceal Carry. ;)

Nobody Expects It And Then You Have Them Before They Have You. FAFO At Its Finest. :)

Criminals Never Follow The Law, Why Should You At The Potential Of Your Own Peril?

Since Winger made his last post here, I have added a bit of a new "thing." I've gotten really into knives in the last couple years. I'm not a rabid collector, but I went from a few older pocket knives to 3 Benchmade's, two Battle Horse, two Mora, a Gerber and 3-4 others.

Between cancel culture, forum rules, laws/regulations and other societal restrictions, my list is somewhat limited ;~))

I love going out and seeing music in my community. I love playing music every chance I get. I love writing new musical pieces, but I hate doing it as an exercise (I need to be inspired and have it come to me, otherwise it feels fake to me). I love learning to play songs I have known for decades but never tried to play before. I love to travel and have been to ~20 countries (looks like Vietnam is next on the list). I love to dance (but I hate structured or taught dance routines which is why my girl is doing line dancing on her own, I tried but my fierce independence gets in the way of me trying to dance exactly like everyone else). I love cooking food but also love going to restaurants and enjoying the things they can do that I can not or will not do at home. I love riding motorcycles, but have not done so in 15+ years (long story). I love spoiling our kitties and laying hen chickens. I love coming up with new ideas and inventions that rarely make it to paper and never make it to production! I love writing computer code that solves problems and/or addresses needs. And of course, I love jokes and joking (even when some might be offended by the obvious humor - note line one of this post).

Someday, I hope to be able to say how much I love floating across the world on my yacht and buzzing the hilltops with my jet pack, but not quite there yet! When I do get there, I will not be here (no offense, I do love this forum) ;~))

My wife and I have gotten way into PB this year. We took some lessons during the winter and are signed up for more in June.
I have mentioned this to my wife a few times, last week was the most recent time. She doesn't seem to bee too interested in it. She probably thinks she can't move well enough to play and she hates to sweat.

One thing she tried recently that could get me in trouble is she jumped on a minibike at camp last week after having a few adult beverages and rode it. All was going well until she dropped it turning around. Thankfully she had a few in her. It didn't hurt her. However, after we got home I pointed out the bruises on her legs that she didn't realize she got. I am wondering if she will do it again later this year when we are back up there. :)

I have mentioned this to my wife a few times, last week was the most recent time. She doesn't seem to bee too interested in it. She probably thinks she can't move well enough to play and she hates to sweat.
If you’re playing doubles it doesn’t require that much hustle, singles is rougher but still not as much running as tennis.

But yeah, you’ll sweat.

I'm a Cadillac enthusiast. I just bought my 9th. They don't inspire me to create per se, but the sound system helps me enjoy music!!
Here is the only Cadillac I ever owned (1960 - nickname Maxwell Catillac - not the best pix I have of this but only ones I have easy access to)! It was my time machine!! Two lane country highway, Sinatra on the AM radio, total bliss!!! It was about 8 inches longer than my Chevy Suburban that I owned at the same time (both now gone).

1960Cadillac_01.jpg

1960Cadillac_02.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the only Cadillac I ever owned (not the best pix I have of this but only ones I have easy access to)! It was my time machine!! Two lane country highway, Sinatra on the AM radio, total bliss!!! It was about 8 inches longer than my Chevy Suburban that I owned at the same time (both now gone).

1960Cadillac_01.jpg

1960Cadillac_02.jpg

SWEET!! There's a busted down '58 around the corner in the lot of an abandoned motel (seriously). I have looked it over for ownership - nothing. Next time I see a sheriff around here I'll see if they can run the VIN...

Aside from spending time with my wife and daughter I enjoy getting the smoker out and smoking meats. We enjoy trying new and exotic foods as well. I'm a fan of Android/Google platforms (not so much coding, but just enjoy reading about the operating systems, etc.). I'm a big Cincinnati Reds fan and try to get to a few games a year. I enjoy the outdoors and try to walk everyday. Homebrewing. Tea/Coffee. Traditional wet shaving.

Music, guitars, and amps are easily #1, but I'm generally interested in anything that expands my knowledge base.

I'm a Cadillac enthusiast. I just bought my 9th. They don't inspire me to create per se, but the sound system helps me enjoy music!!

I've only owned one Caddy in my life, a gorgeous '67 Eldorado Coupe. What a boat that beast was. Loved the roominess and the flat floor, you could have a dance in that thing! The vinyl top was a tad faded, and I never did redo it. Did have it painted but never got to the top. Everything else worked great, and a ton of power and torque in that 472" mil.

Back