To Santana, or not to Santana...but to DGT instead????

ViperDoc

Plugged In.
I've been needing some covered pickups. I thought the Santana would be perfect with her slightly smaller scale, but then liked the DGT electronics idea with the parallel Volume pot controls and coil tap. I have my trem and then non-trem days. Who can speak to either? Thanks.

DGT!

I bought a Santana and a DGT on the same day a couple years back...the Santana went back, the DGT is still here!

Actually, nobody can tell you what to get..ya gotta get what is right for you!

IMO, the DGT is the best core PRS made. I have 3 and would add another in a heartbeat!

The only "Santana" I've ever played was a Howard Leese Golden Eagle and it was wonderful to play. I was surprised by how inviting the 24.5 inch scale was to my hands. The Santana pickups on the HLGE are uncovered, though, which has been my preference forever. Thought I'd mix it up with the covered vibe.

DGT. I can't give you a comparison as I haven't played the Santana (well, the SE version but that doesn't count).

The DGT is a fine guitar. Maybe not as iconic as a Les Paul but every bit the equal to one and better in some ways. PRS pays such close attention to these, well I'm sure the Santana too. Honestly dude, I can't see how you could go wrong either way. I just know I love my DGT. Sometimes I play it unplugged almost as often as plugged in because it sounds so nice acoustically too. It's the best electric guitar I've ever played unplugged and when I plug it in, man...

I'd get the DGT. It's a pretty amazing guitar.

Just might have to do that.

The PS Santana with DGT electronics is not a bad option, either! Considering I could get both Cores for less, I might have to take that route first.

Last edited:
I would also say depends what you are after. For me there is no question the DGT if only for all the tonal options and the electronics. I have found it hard to pick up any of my others since i picked up a DGT and I recently hace even started looking for a DGT standard to change things up a little.
The Santana is an amazing instrument for sure. The 2 that i played just sat perfect for me and the neck is just top notch.

Santana has one of the fattest/roundest necks made by PRS very comfy but tight on the upper frets with 24 frets and 24.5 , I also think the neck pickup on the Santana style guitars is extra useful.
I have heard people rave about the DTG also heard the neck has a V shape , I have never played one ;(
would be a tough call
Looking at what you have I would vote Santana

AH, not sure if I'd like the V-neck. Can anyone else confirm? I'm a WIDE/FAT player if I have the choice.

I really like my Pattern Regular necks. My DGT neck feels very similar and even more perfect. I had a Clapton Strat with the soft V neck. I don't notice anything like that V feel with my DGT.

The DGT neck shape is like a hybrid of the current Pattern Regular and the old school Wide Fat in my opinion. Nice and chunky but not cumbersome. One of the most comfortable carves offered by PRS.

If you haven't already, I would implore you to at least check out a DGT Standard. The all mahogany build just does something special in combination with those pickups.

I have heard people rave about the DTG also heard the neck has a V shape , I have never played one ;(
would be a tough call
Looking at what you have I would vote Santana

The DGT has what I would consider a very rounded V-shape. It's not as pronounced as a Martin 000-28EC. It fits in the crook of the hand very nicely.

DGT neck is very comfortable IMO- if you've never had the opportunity to play one, you should do so...and make sure you play it though an amp so you can marvel at the electronics!!

The DGT neck shape is like a hybrid of the current Pattern Regular and the old school Wide Fat in my opinion. Nice and chunky but not cumbersome. One of the most comfortable carves offered by PRS.

If you haven't already, I would implore you to at least check out a DGT Standard. The all mahogany build just does something special in combination with those pickups.

this!
I would also implore you to check out the DGT (Standard or regular) , the neck is very comfortable

Back