Private Stock Build Idea - Feedback/Suggestions?

c340

Hi! Looking for feedback on a guitar I want built. The reason is, I want less guitars and I want one guitar with features that do not come on any single guitar I know of. I am talking with a big signature dealer about it, and what follows is essentially the email I sent to them. I have never gone through the PS process - is there anything I should know about before going into it? Are there non-private stock solutions that I should explore first? Thanks!

---

Long-time PRS fanatic here! I have owned many, including many Tremonti's, Singlecut Trem, CE-24 Semi Hollow, CE-22, McCarty, Hollowbody II Piezo, a ton of SE's, as well as other guitars like Gibson Les Paul, Fender Strat, Strandberg, Taylor 814CE.

What I would like to do is order my version of a sort of swiss-army knife guitar that combines all my favorite features into one be-all, end-all guitar. While a custom guitar is still very expensive, this process and the resulting instrument is a bucket list item for me, and in my mind, it is justified because I don't spend money on much else, and I plan to sell most of my guitars to cover most of the cost anyways. That's the whole idea - combine all my favorite features from all the guitars that I have owned into one. I love efficiency. Owning less "stuff" (yes, even guitars!) makes me feel better, and becoming attached to a single instrument that can do anything I ask of it would be ideal.

I don't see it as an investment - I see it as a beautifully crafted tool, designed specifically for my tastes, for the purposes of making music and creating happiness, so if I wear down the finish and it gets nicked up over the years, that just means I achieved what I am setting out to do here.

Ok, here we go. The big picture: I am seeking what appears to be a mix of PRS Tremonti, Special Semi-Hollow, and Custom 24 Piezo features with aesthetics only available through Private Stock.

In a perfect world, my Private Stock PRS would feature the following (with explanations of why for context):

• Thin, double-cut mahogany body with flame maple top (I fell in love with how thin the CE-24 is, as well as the comfort of the PRS double cut body, even though I actually think singlecut looks better)
  • Pattern thin set neck - flame maple, but mahogany is OK too if necessary
  • Ebony fretboard with 22 frets, but 24 is OK too if necessary (I prefer the neck pickup placement of 22 frets but don't mind having 2 octaves with 24 frets, if that makes the guitar more "buildable" for PS team)
  • Semi-hollow, with single F hole on lower bout (CE-24 semi-hollow gives me perfect mix of resonance and sustain, whereas Hollowbody II didn't work for me when playing hard rock)
  • Tremolo bridge with trem-up route cavity (Tremonti is my favorite player, I loved that feature on his model, and I love the ability to pull up, flutter, etc. I also love Steve Vai, Polyphia, etc. and that music has lots of trem-up notes. If the trem uproute can't be done, then I probably won't order the guitar - this feature is a primary reason for paying so much for a custom guitar, so please please see if this can be done on a non-Tremonti model. I know for a fact the PTC can provide this feature if you send a guitar in [or at least they used to] because I owned a guitar that had it done years after being manufactured)
  • Piezo system (I loved the versatility of the Hollowbody II Piezo - though I recognize the Piezo electronics might require a slightly thicker body, and I am ok with that)
  • Tremonti Treble bridge pickup (I love heavy Alter Bridge tones)
  • 85/15 neck pickup (I love the modern smooth lead, clean, and coil split tones of this pickup on my CE-24)
  • Control configuration can be however PRS feels is best for piezo + coil split (ie 5-way blade, individual coil split switches, push/pull tone knob, etc - it doesn't matter to me)
  • Koa (light color) J-birds/Outline birds with Koa Private Stock Eagle on Ebony headstock veneer. Or, original bird Koa fretboard inlays w/ MOP outline OK too if PRS can't make the J-birds using Koa (I am fascinated by wood inlaid into other wood - European cathedrals are filled with this and this is sort of an homage to that very old technique)
  • Blue Tourmaline/Blue Steel Smoke Burst finish, with natural back/sides/neck/binding (Same color as "Collection Series V Signature McCarty" - a vibrant blue teal color, ideally with whatever clear coat minimizes chances of clearcoat fogging or blue color fading)
  • Other preferred details: 25 inch scale length, 10" radius, Phase III locking tuners w/ ebony buttons, clear lampshade knobs, white plastic, hybrid hardware, no trem cavity cover, 9-gauge string setup, PS case with red interior lining
Just a thought - based on PRS' current lineup and what you said about no ground-up builds, the Special Semi-Hollow model might actually be the most logical base model guitar to build off of, if that's the most effective way to go. At its core, the guitar might be a Special Semi-Hollow with Trem-up cavity and a Piezo system. If I have to have that middle Narrowfield pickup too, I wouldn't mind that. As far as pickups go, if for some reason it is impossible to go with the Tremonti Treble + 85/15 neck combination, that is not too big of a deal. We could go with both 85/15 pickups and I could install a Tremonti pickup myself later on.

Having had a Special Semi Hollow very close to what you're describing, down to the ebony fretboard, I think it's very doable and should sound quite good.

The Special has the standard Custom thickness, but has a Pattern neck, and of course, lots of the other details are different.

In any case, however, it's a build that should be a solid platform. It'll be brighter than a Tremonti model, of course, with less oomph in the fundamental and low-mid frequencies, but the trade-off will be a very airy quality that's very pleasing, and lots of pick attack articulation with the semi-hollow construction and ebony fretboard/maple neck.

I should add that I agree with the emphasis on fewer guitars in order to get such a great one. I'd rather have one PS than a number of others. They're just so good.

They're also a little bit addictive.

Last edited:
Agree .. great build sheet the Special is a great swiss army knife build . I'd love to do a PS version too. Good luck , as Tom Petty would sing ... "The WAITING is the HARDEST part"

Sounds like a great build! Only potential issue is body thickness to handle the piezo. They used to have a P24 but I know the P22 was based on the standard McCarty model, which is a little thicker. If body thickness is about weight, you can ask for a lighter weight body.

My custom build (avatar) is a P245 Trem and it’s the one I play 90% of the time. I asked for total weight max of 8lbs and it came in just under it with a full Brazilian neck. RW necks tend to add weight (as does the trem) so this was quite the accomplishment by PRS!

Just got off the phone with the dealer - sounds like we may be going with Custom 24 Semi-Hollow over the Special. I wouldn't mind - having 24 frets gives the ultimate option in terms of note range. Trem up route should be fine, and the dealer is asking right now if Piezo will be doable. If not, I could probably live without it. There are certain split coil combos which, when run through my current signal chain, can sound like an extremely convincing acoustic if I want that sound. Shoot, I may even forego the Piezo even if they could do it to try to save a little money.

Unfortunately, can't stick signature model pickups into a guitar unless it is that signature model. Apparently there are issues with artist contracts because the question becomes, what does PRS owe the artist at that point? Is the guitar their signature model, or not? But pickups are easy enough to swap after the fact. I will probably just got with 85/15 pickups.

I was also told the Private Stock case isn't as customizable at the moment. Only black or brown paisley is available right now. But that's not really a big deal at all - its a case.

I was told the best way to do wood selection is to send them samples of guitars that have wood figuring I would like. Then one of the PS folks goes through the vault and finds 3 or 4 pieces that closely match the photos I sent, then they send photos of those wood samples to me to see if I like any of them. Apparently this gives a better picture than trying to Zoom call or Facetime, which makes sense. Would be fun to video call with Paul Miles, but I suppose I will take the more effective route for the guitar.

Agree .. great build sheet the Special is a great swiss army knife build . I'd love to do a PS version too. Good luck , as Tom Petty would sing ... "The WAITING is the HARDEST part"
Oh, I am great at waiting now. I have an order in for a Ford Maverick Truck. $26k for a brand new truck that gets 45+ mpg. The truck had so many orders that the order window for the entirety of 2023 was open for just FIVE days last September. I just found out last week that my truck is scheduled to be built late August, and hopefully I will receive it in September - a full year after ordering. So I can be patient :)

Grab something like this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...tom-24-semi-hollow-electric-guitar-river-blue
(you can't have that one. It's mine)

Swap pickups to the ones you're after. Tremonti is available on the PRS site and 85/15 should be available on Reverb.

Add this: https://graphtech.com/pages/ghost-pickup-systems
There are threads from people (including me) installing one. It's relatively easy.

You'll be like 90% the way to what you're after for way less time and money. If you really like the set up, and you're still after that last 10%, put in a PS order and play what you've got for two years while you wait.

Grab something like this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...tom-24-semi-hollow-electric-guitar-river-blue
(you can't have that one. It's mine)

Swap pickups to the ones you're after. Tremonti is available on the PRS site and 85/15 should be available on Reverb.

Add this: https://graphtech.com/pages/ghost-pickup-systems
There are threads from people (including me) installing one. It's relatively easy.

You'll be like 90% the way to what you're after for way less time and money. If you really like the set up, and you're still after that last 10%, put in a PS order and play what you've got for two years while you wait.

Not a bad suggestion, thank you! I had considered doing something like that before. But here is why I am going with PS:

- I want the higher end build quality of a Private Stock. I've yet to own or play one, but from what I hear, its on another level. Its going to be my #1 life-long guitar, and the experience is a bit of a bucket list item for me. I figure if I order it now, I will have (hopefully) another 50 or so years of getting to enjoy it before passing it down to next of kin.

- I am drawn specifically to the Blue Tourmaline Smoked Burst finish, which is not available anywhere but through PS

- I want tremolo up-route, a feature only available through PS, PTC (at least they used to), or on a Tremonti

- The used value of the guitars I plan to sell just about matches what I will pay for the PS, and it condenses all of my favorite features of those guitars into one. Something about owning 1 guitar that is 100% (not just 90%) what I want is very appealing. I know that if I hack together my own 90% guitar, my OCD will be driving me nuts knowing that I compromised. As it is, between my Tremonti and CE-24 Semi Hollow, I am at about 90% already.

- I want to order ASAP. Its a little morbid and pessimistic I suppose, but when Paul Smith passes away, who knows what will happen to the company in terms of their absolute commitment to quality, and of the PS department itself. I want to get mine before anyone has a chance to change the way PRS Guitars does things. I hate to be pessimistic but I've seen lots of fantastic brands go downhill when the founder is out of the picture.

These are the justifications that I tell myself anyway ;) Financially, you are correct - much more sound to piece one together. I also don't especially like the idea of one $12,000+ instrument that could be stolen, damaged, etc. but I'm trying not to live in fear like that lol

Not a bad suggestion, thank you!

These are the justifications that I tell myself anyway ;) Financially, you are correct - much more sound to piece one together. I also don't especially like the idea of one $12,000+ instrument that could be stolen, damaged, etc. but I'm trying not to live in fear like that lol
Makes sense. Sometimes there's an itch that can't be scratched any other way.

I feel like if they came back and told me I couldn't do something I'd just say forget it then. Because at that point you could find a wood library that likely exists already for less money. If you're going to pay private stock $$ it should, in my mind, be no compromise on any front. Obviously that's not the reality of it ATM.

Back