To core, or not to core?

flux

594 & CU24
Hi all, here's my situation:

The 594 in my avatar is my first and only PRS, and it's time to map out a second. I'm weighing two different gear scenarios, one of which results in PRS #2 coming sooner than later.

I'm hoping to tap into the formidable knowledge base here, particularly when it comes to older models or viable options I may be missing. Thanks in advance for reading through and helping me ponder, and sorry for the laundry list.

Ideally, I'd like a second 594 that I'd hot-rod for metal purposes (I know, sacrilege... sorry). But, this application requires a trem. Much as I'd love to, I can't venture into PS territory to solve that (managing rheumatoid arthritis ruins my gear budget, grr). Since I'm trying to make the most of my digits while they let me, I'd really like to get back into recording and lay down some heavy modern stuff. I'll want to spend periods parked in drop tunings. If the stock electronics are voiced for the task that's a bonus but not a requirement.

The 594's scale length and neck carve are perfect for my needs so far, exceedingly comfortable, and the one I was lucky enough to drag home has also made me a rosewood neck junkie. What else exists that might be reasonably close?

From the current line, the Santana remains a possibility (I'll have to play one again). I have eyes for the 24-08 as well, as long as I can avoid pattern thin. Perhaps a 509? (I've never tried one, but scale lengths over 25" start to make me anxious.)

As for past models that might work, I need schooling. What to look at next?

Well, I'll toss out a couple of options:

Santana and Tremonti. You mentioned the Santana, and it's probably a little closer to the 594 with respect to neck shape. The Santana is a little beefier, but not in a bad way. I dropped a set of \m/ pickups in one of mine. Screams! I just find them fun to play. The Tremonti is a great option for the type of music you're talking about. The only thing to consider is the Wide Thin neck.

I may be wrong ( My Disclaimer) but I think you can get a regular neck on a Tremonti as well if you look around.
And how about looking up a Holcomb. Food for thought!!!

Don't overlook the SC245. If you don't HAVE to have a trem, the hardtail is convenient for changing tunings on the fly. I ran my 245 with BKP pickups and it was killer. I also have an SC (25") with BKP pickups and it's a bit better for lower tunings. The SC250/Tremonti pickups scream, but I'm not a fan unless you are tuned down quite a bit.

What's wrong with a Custom 24? Unless you're just completely wedded to the shorter scale, it would seem to check all your requirements. You can find them in various neck carves, and with almost any of the pickups PRS has produced over the years.

You’re not short on options. A CE with dragon 1’s would be a fun ride. Shoot, I even play downtuned chuggies with a Starla.

Well, I'll toss out a couple of options:

Santana and Tremonti. You mentioned the Santana, and it's probably a little closer to the 594 with respect to neck shape. The Santana is a little beefier, but not in a bad way. I dropped a set of \m/ pickups in one of mine. Screams! I just find them fun to play. The Tremonti is a great option for the type of music you're talking about. The only thing to consider is the Wide Thin neck.

Bet the \m/-loaded Santana sounds drooltastic. (Which one got the treatment?)

I briefly considered the Tremonti but balked at the skinny neck. However, I'm going to make it a point to revisit that neck profile after this much time solely spent on PV. For all I know it may feel cozier now than I recall, or may give me a fresh impression since my hands have improved with treatment.

If I could manage to talk myself out of a trem and find a remaining baritone LE , that might be a fun nuclear option if I really wanted to mix it up (and if the ergonomics work).

I may be wrong ( My Disclaimer) but I think you can get a regular neck on a Tremonti as well if you look around.
And how about looking up a Holcomb. Food for thought!!!

That's a great idea actually. I was so focused on standard offerings that I'd blown off the SEs. A Holcomb would be well worth a test drive. Thanks!

If you are looking at used, consider the Teds - Santana scale and headstock on a typical PRS body shape.

Definitely. To the Reverb-mobile!

Don't overlook the SC245. If you don't HAVE to have a trem, the hardtail is convenient for changing tunings on the fly. I ran my 245 with BKP pickups and it was killer. I also have an SC (25") with BKP pickups and it's a bit better for lower tunings. The SC250/Tremonti pickups scream, but I'm not a fan unless you are tuned down quite a bit.

I appreciate the input. If I can talk myself into a second fixed bridge the SC245 is definitely on the table. (Just out of curiosity, which BKPs did you prefer?)

What's wrong with a Custom 24?

Oh, nothing at all! I was just trying to cast as wide a net as possible. I helped a friend shop for one over the summer and it's been on my mind since.

I really appreciate all the suggestions. Talking all this out is particularly helpful.

Just go buy a guitar. Eventually you'll start to have one of everything anyway. ;)

Haha, that's what I'm trying to avoid! I did a healthy stretch in music retail and ended up accumulating an inventory of my own. Ten since flew the coop in all and I'm down to three total. One more will do me, honestly. (Yeah, yeah. That's what they all say.)

Bet the \m/-loaded Santana sounds drooltastic. (Which one got the treatment?)

I briefly considered the Tremonti but balked at the skinny neck. However, I'm going to make it a point to revisit that neck profile after this much time solely spent on PV. For all I know it may feel cozier now than I recall, or may give me a fresh impression since my hands have improved with treatment.

If I could manage to talk myself out of a trem and find a remaining baritone LE , that might be a fun nuclear option if I really wanted to mix it up (and if the ergonomics work).

That's a great idea actually. I was so focused on standard offerings that I'd blown off the SEs. A Holcomb would be well worth a test drive. Thanks!

Definitely. To the Reverb-mobile!

I appreciate the input. If I can talk myself into a second fixed bridge the SC245 is definitely on the table. (Just out of curiosity, which BKPs did you prefer?)

Oh, nothing at all! I was just trying to cast as wide a net as possible. I helped a friend shop for one over the summer and it's been on my mind since.

I really appreciate all the suggestions. Talking all this out is particularly helpful.

The AP with maple neck and Ebony board.

If you decide you're looking for a Cu24 with the same set up, let me know (57/08s though)

Hey, thanks for that! I'm going to get those neck profiles back in my hands and do a fresh comparo before I get any more wild-eyed. Finding some great potential targets so far as I ponder all these pointers.

Hey, thanks for that! I'm going to get those neck profiles back in my hands and do a fresh comparo before I get any more wild-eyed. Finding some great potential targets so far as I ponder all these pointers.

My pleasure. I'll add Pattern Regular neck, Burnt Maple Leaf, 2014. :)

Back