The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

The problem I'm having is that I told myself that I'm not getting any more guitars unless I get rid of something first. There's a 594 about 3 miles from me (according to the dealer's site at least). Finish is what I'd have picked as my favorite, and I'm sure if I play it, I'd buy it. I guess I need to decide what to get rid of before trying a 594. I just don't know what I'd let go of though... Oh well, we'll see....

I break promises to myself all the time! Go get it!

Nop... If I get this, it means that the Signature Limited, or the P22, or the 513, or...the list goes on.....starts gathering more dust. As of about a year ago, I decided that enough is enough and that I'm not going to get another guitar unless I sell off something...just on principle. I've never done that before though, so it looks like I'll need to figure out how to do that. Seriously.... The last time that I played the awesome SC Ted with rosewood neck was about 8 months ago. Not because it isn't awesome. Sort of an existential crisis of sorts I guess.

Nop... If I get this, it means that the Signature Limited, or the P22, or the 513, or...the list goes on.....starts gathering more dust. As of about a year ago, I decided that enough is enough and that I'm not going to get another guitar unless I sell off something...just on principle. I've never done that before though, so it looks like I'll need to figure out how to do that. Seriously.... The last time that I played the awesome SC Ted with rosewood neck was about 8 months ago. Not because it isn't awesome. Sort of an existential crisis of sorts I guess.
The sickness just never stops, does it?

When direct sunlight hits this top, you can hear angels singing "aaaahhh"... :)

IMG_0884_zpsdzqmmise.jpg

IMG_0883_zpsq5lkw1nr.jpg

IMG_0885_zps9oazolyn.jpg

Note something in my pics of this today you might have never seen before in my pics - the 3-way in the middle position. I have not really used that position a lot historically, ever, on Les Pauls nor 2 volume PRSi. In this model, with these killer pickups, that is my #1 position, both pickups on and use the volume and tone pots to "flavor" the tone. Bridge on 10 and Neck on 6-7 is a Bridge tone on steroids, and vice versa with the Neck on 10 and the Bridge on 6-7. Want the Clapton "Woman" tone? Neck on 10, Bridge on 7, both tones all the way day down. Okay, so may I could have gotten some of these tones on my various Les Paul's over the years, but they are sounding killer on this 594! Love these pickups.

This guitar inspires me to search for the vintage tones. Today I am plugged into the Bogner Helios on the Gain channel, but into the "Plex" lower input for vintage Plexi tones. Using a Boss Fender '63 Fender Reverb pedal in the loop for a hair of reverb, and the Xotic Effects BB+ OD in front of the amp for that cranked Marshall Bluesbreaker sound. (Thanks Les, for reminding me to dust that off and use that again!) Wow, great tones with this guitar and that setup! (That Helios is awesome. A total "Plexi" amp, not like other Bogner amps.) Channeling some early Clapton with some Beano album jams today...

Last edited:

Hey Aristotle, good to hear from you here! Yes, I know you would like these! Your Glacier Blue DC Ted was one of the very best of the 20+ I owned, so it is a tough ask to better that one, but the 594 just might be up for it! ;)

I know what you are saying re too many guitars, and great ones not getting played. When I get to north of 8-10 guitars that happens for me. Of course you probably have that problem with amps too, with that killer collection you have! :)

Last edited:
Congrats Pete on yet another killer guitar, looking forward to accompany you
on your next leg of the journey

IMG_0884_zpsdzqmmise.jpg

IMG_0883_zpsq5lkw1nr.jpg

IMG_0885_zps9oazolyn.jpg

Note something in my pics of this today you might have never seen before in my pics - the 3-way in the middle position. I have not really used that position a lot historically, ever, on Les Pauls nor 2 volume PRSi. In this model, with these killer pickups, that is my #1 position, both pickups on and use the volume and tone pots to "flavor" the tone. Bridge on 10 and Neck on 6-7 is a Bridge tone on steroids, and vice versa with the Neck on 10 and the Bridge on 6-7. Want the Clapton "Woman" tone? Neck on 10, Bridge on 7, both tones all the way day down. Okay, so may I could have gotten some of these tones on my various Les Paul's over the years, but they are sounding killer on this 594! Love these pickups.

This guitar inspires me to search for the vintage tones. Today I am plugged into the Bogner Helios on the Gain channel, but into the "Plex" lower input for vintage Plexi tones. Using a Boss Fender '63 Fender Reverb pedal in the loop for a hair of reverb, and the Xotic Effects BB+ OD in front of the amp for that cranked Marshall Bluesbreaker sound. (Thanks Les, for reminding me to dust that off and use that again!) Wow, great tones with this guitar and that setup! (That Helios is awesome. A total "Plexi" amp, not like other Bogner amps.) Channeling some early Clapton with some Beano album jams today...
That is a stellar finish. Is that a PS 594?

That is a stellar finish. Is that a PS 594?

Thanks! No, "just" a Wood Library 594. But it is as nice as any Private Stock I have played! ;)

Finish is "Livingston Lemondrop". I dig it!!

My only beef with it versus a Private Stock is the V12 finish, versus the Nitro finish we got on the Ted's and is an option on the Private Stocks.

Oh, and it would look better IMO with Ivoroid Tuner Knobs. But those are on the way! ;)

Other than that, it is PERFECT in every other way. Sounds amazing...

Congratulations on yet another superb guitar, Pete! You certainly know how to live right! :)

IMG_0884_zpsdzqmmise.jpg

IMG_0883_zpsq5lkw1nr.jpg

IMG_0885_zps9oazolyn.jpg

I hear it!!!

This is a fairly ridiculous thing to say, as someone who has a very limited experience with core models, but I think this could be the pinnacle of PRS for my tastes. Everything about this guitar just speaks to me... can't play one til I'm ready to buy, because I know when I do it'll be all over! Until then, I'll just read this thread cheer you guys on.

Actually, I think this one could go down in history as one of the best/most loved core models. Time will tell.

I hear it!!!

This is a fairly ridiculous thing to say, as someone who has a very limited experience with core models, but I think this could be the pinnacle of PRS for my tastes. Everything about this guitar just speaks to me... can't play one til I'm ready to buy, because I know when I do it'll be all over! Until then, I'll just read this thread cheer you guys on.

Actually, I think this one could go down in history as one of the best/most loved core models. Time will tell.

I have been following the company pretty closely for 20 years now, and I agree. I remember being disappointed when the original Singlecut came out because I thought the McCarty was the closest they should come to a Les Paul. The McCarty 594 seems to be the ultimate refinement of that concept. All that's good about a Les Paul with all that's great about a PRS.

As an aside, I met Ben from Righteous Guitars in Atlanta at a concert Saturday. He said he thinks they have about 10 in stock. I may have to go down there soon to play and drool, but I have a feeling I'll suffer a horrible bout of GAS. Paul is doing a clinic there on 9/17, so I at least have to check that out!

I strongly felt that way for most of the past 15 years (probably including the existential crisis because I'm that guy). Having more than a couple of electric guitars gave me too many choices. The act of choosing which guitar to record with became an obstacle to my creativity.

I have four electric guitars now. For me, that's a lot, almost too many (lots of forum members have many more). And I have The Hammer Of The Gods that does the "vintage burst" thing. So why'd I order a 594?

Because resistance is futile.

I strongly felt that way for most of the past 15 years (probably including the existential crisis because I'm that guy). Having more than a couple of electric guitars gave me too many choices. The act of choosing which guitar to record with became an obstacle to my creativity.

I have four electric guitars now. For me, that's a lot, almost too many (lots of forum members have many more). And I have The Hammer Of The Gods that does the "vintage burst" thing. So why'd I order a 594?

Because resistance is futile.
My issue is that I have....let's see...I "think" I have 12, but I'm probably forgetting one. And that's just the PRS ones. I'm definitely going to get a 594. Played the one locally and loved it. I may even get a PS version (I've had most excellent luck with waiting for MAPete to let go of something to fund something else...) I don't think that having too many is an obstacle to creativity for me (what little I have isn't impacted much by outside forces). And financially it isn't so much of an issue. Anyway, sounds like a topic for another thread. Bottom line here is that I want a 594.

The problem I'm having is that I told myself that I'm not getting any more guitars unless I get rid of something first. There's a 594 about 3 miles from me (according to the dealer's site at least). Finish is what I'd have picked as my favorite, and I'm sure if I play it, I'd buy it. I guess I need to decide what to get rid of before trying a 594. I just don't know what I'd let go of though... Oh well, we'll see....
Within the last couple weeks I traded a Private Stock DGT straight across for a core 594 and have no regrets whatsoever, the 594 IMHO is that good! Mind you it certainly helps that I have a killer core Goldtop DGT, so it's not like I'm going without... On a side note, I also sold a Private Stock DC 245, but as they say, "they come, and they go"! I would (and very well "may") however get another 594 in McCarty Sunburst or one in Goldtop once one shows up North of the border.
RonnieD

So, for all of you 594 experts... There seems to be a few strata out there as core 594s, but I can't seem to figure out what the difference is. You'll find three different pricings for non-artist package 594s with no difference in stated specs, at the same dealer. Maybe it's top grading, but I don't think so. Then, there are a few dealers that have "experience 594s" at one price, and other 594s at another (less) price. And I'm not talking artist packages...just core 594s. Any ideas?

So, for all of you 594 experts... There seems to be a few strata out there as core 594s, but I can't seem to figure out what the difference is. You'll find three different pricings for non-artist package 594s with no difference in stated specs, at the same dealer. Maybe it's top grading, but I don't think so. Then, there are a few dealers that have "experience 594s" at one price, and other 594s at another (less) price. And I'm not talking artist packages...just core 594s. Any ideas?

I don't think we are supposed to discussing pricing here. Sent you a PM...

Having another "N5D" tomorrow, I am excited about that! :)

Back