Swapping pickups on a p22

Planter

Hi everyone I need a little direction as I want to try another set of pickups on my p22. I've swapped pickups before on other guitars so I have all the tools I need but I've never swapped pickups on a 5 way blade like the one on my p22. The pickups I want install use the shielded pushback 2 style wire and I know that the 58/15's in my guitar are 4 wire so no splitting which is fine.

Do people normally change the existing switch to a 3 way blade?

What happens if I keep the 5 way switch? Does the sound get cut off between positions?

Are there any complications with the piezo pickups when doing a swap?

I've heard the magnets in the pickups a flipped on these guitars is that true? Is so why and will I have to do that on the pickups I want to install?

I'd think that you should be able to change the 5-way switch to a 3-way just fine. That part of the guitar's wiring is isolated in a sense to the magnetic pickups, so you could do what you want there. Only drawback is that you'd only get the 3 pickup settings--which is totally fine if those are the only 3 you want (make it your own!).

I would, however, be wary of phase issues. I'm only commenting from what I've read, but it seems that the P22-labelled pickups--though similar to their 53/10 and 57/08 counterparts--were called "P22" to identify them as being phase-corrected to work with the piezo system (which I'm guessing might be "reverse phase" from how most pickups are installed?). If you have the 4-wire pickups, they could easily be wired correctly in this case... I would maybe check with PTC, the PRS technical center.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping someone from PTC would chime in. I have read about the phase issue but I've never seen anything offical from PRS.

Back